close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone else reading four/five books at one time?

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Skyhook, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

Or am I just weird in that respect.

I'm a history buff-- have one of those burning. I also am very aviation oriented-- got one of those. My other two are military history on the Vietnam War.

So, who else is that 'confused'?:supergrin:

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

I've got two throne rooms. Currently one has Job: A Comedy of Justice by Heinlein and the other has Sarasvati River and the Vedic Civilization - History, science and politics by Rajaram. Progress in both is slow, but satisifying. :rofl:

3. seamus

seamus

I just reread my book "The Irish Brigade In The Civil War" by Joseph G Bilby while reading James Thom's new book "Saint Patrick's Battalion" and an article about the Irish in the civil war in the mag "Civil War Times" and am reading the book "Yank" by Ted Ellsworth. Yeah, I like to read several books at a time too. I'll focus on one more than another but will eventually read them all.

4. Mix

Mix

I am reading "The First Amendment" by William Marnell, a book on the theory of Probability, and a couple of books on Religion. My brother is a real history guru, especially the area of World War 2. What can I say, I love to read!

5. D25

D25 The Quick

I'm only reading 3 right now.

1. Stephen Hawking A Brief History of Time
    2. Joseph Campbell The Masks of God- Oriential Mythology
    3. A Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support book

6. Skyhook

Skyhook

Well, I guess my reading habits are not so bizarre after all, eh?

BTW, folks, I have discovered the best bookmark ever! I take one of those big rubberband things health folks use to tie off your blood to your arm when they take blood pressures, carefully cut it in two along the long axis, and there ya have it- two bookmarks!!

The neat thing about these are that they are long enough to have one end secured in the thickest part of the book while you use the other end as the, you guessed it, bookmark. The things are very user-friendly, bright blue or white, and are always right there when you get sleepy or have to leave the reading for a while. My wife and I have used them for quite some time and they're the cat's whiskers!:thumbsup:

7. PrincessTaurus

PrincessTaurus

You are so not weird. It's great to see more like-minded book people out there. I'm usually reading two mysteries, a couple good fiction books, and something non-fiction at the same time.

I have two mysteries going right now. Also a book about the writing process and some books for work (teaching).

I ONLY like history in the narrative form. Reading historical fiction is one of my favorites, but I also enjoy listening to stories to learn history.

My boyfriend is Navajo and gave me a copy of "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee". If you haven't read that, everyone should. What a great compilation of a history that we rarely learn in the classroom!

8. Skyhook

Skyhook

"My boyfriend is Navajo and gave me a copy of "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee". If you haven't read that, everyone should. What a great compilation of a history that we rarely learn in the classroom!"

Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking that up.

As for history being taught in school rooms, let's hope our friends and neighbors do go the next step and check out some fine reading. I know my formal education was dismal at best.

9. GAC

GAC

My problem is that I start reading too many books at once and don't finish a few. I work in a library so I tend to check out too many books at once and have piles of them I cannot get around to.

For the last few months I have been concentrating on one book at a time so I can actually finish them. I have been keeping a "to read" list on my Hotmail account and started a list of books I have read on a Myspace account.

I've had a backslide though and have Safari: a chronicle of adventure by Bartle Bull, The Book of guys: stories by Garrison Keillor, Ticket to ride by Janet Neel, Wrong kid of blood by Declan Hughes, Gun digest book of the AR-15 (again), plus some others I have not started yet.

10. PaulBk

PaulBk Grumpy Grandpa

I always have 2-3 going at the same time.

-PB

11. CookieGirl

CookieGirl SE of Disorder

Currently reading:

Flags of Our Fathers -- James Bradley

Today in History (it's a compilation. I compulsively read reference books and textbooks. It's been a habit since I was about five years old.)

The Fabric of the Cosmos -- Brian Greene

Caddy for Life -- John Feinstein

Golf -- An Album of Its History

12. Atlantya

Atlantya

Nope, you're not weird at all. I generally have anywhere from 3 to 5 books going most of the time. Currently I have my:

1)Car book in case I find the time to stop for coffee somewhere and want something to read - currently Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

2)Bedroom book - right now World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

3)Living room/dining room book/kitchen book- The Covenenant by Naomi Ragen (my current book club book - meh not so exciting.)

4)Bathroom book-1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus

5)and then my "bag book/s" that are usually related to my profession. Currently I'm rereading Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork by Deane Juhan.

So, nope. Not weird at all. Or, at least not any weirder than anyone else.

By the way - World War Z, it's a good read and a lot of fun.

13. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Take the time..

Food for the mind.
    Yes I have a few books going at the same time. My whole life!!!
    I read history. American History/American Revolutionary War.
    I live in New Jersey and it is easy to trace the flow of the war.
    New Jersey was the Cross Roads of the Revolution. I have bicycled most of NJ in this pursuit.

Crowsfoot

14. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

15. Skyhook

Skyhook

Of course they do, PeterJason. ;)

16. GroovedG19

GroovedG19 Laguna Blue AP2

3 at the moment.Krav Maga by David Kahn, Bruce Lee's Fighting Method vol.3, and Street Fighting Tactics from karate-do by Micheal Rosenbaum.

17. PrincessTaurus

PrincessTaurus

Textbooks get triple bonus points.

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Generally 2 fiction and 3-4 nonfiction simultaneously not counting study materials for work (in that case add 3 more).

19. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

My problem is that I keep getting more, without reading the ones that I already have.

I'm still trying to finish "Generation Kill" and just recently started to read "Molon Labe"

20. Skyhook

Skyhook

I can certainly empathize with that!

I have four heavy reader-types as friends and it seems when I am the busiest about the hangars, garden, etc. those luddites show up with juicy volumes which I really have to read. Problem isd, there's still only 24 hrs/day..

As for Molon Labe, try not to expect it to be on the same level as Unintended Consequences. ;)