Anyone else read the Warhammer 40k books?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by deadday, Apr 4, 2010.

1. deadday

deadday

I'll show a little of my nerd-dom here...played a lot of 40k in high school.....my brother introduced me to the Horus Heresy books last year....great stuff....Just finished reading Titanicus by Dan Abnett, loved it....any recommendations?

2. crushproof

crushproof

the chronicles of ciaphris cain, i love that series in the 40k universe! even though the 40k is usually dark and grim. the ciaphris cain series adds humour and heart to it. try it out you'll like it

3. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

+1 on the Ciaphas Caine books. Very tongue-in-cheek looks at the Warhammer 40k universe, almost like the Stainless Steel Rat visiting the Imperium.

Most anything by Abnett's pretty good, or is at least "pretty good" for wargaming fiction. His Inquisitor series, about Eisenhorn, are top notch, and while I haven't read his (related) Ravenor books, folks I know have enjoyed them. If you want to wait about a month, I can lend you the whole Gaunt's Ghosts series of books -- boots-in-the-mud Imperial Guard stuff you might like.

4. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Funny you should ask that. We were just at Games Workshop yesterday, buying our daughter the Tau army starter set, the older boy has Orcs, and I was asking Sam if he'd read any of it. He had borrowed some of his friends, but they were all about Space Marines, and he wanted to branch out. I'll have to show him this thread. </dork>

5. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Y'all got any questions about general wargaming geekery, just holler.

And -- if you're interested -- Mrs. Crit and I are kinda cleanin' house as part of this move nonsense. If you want me to toss a couple of these books in the mail (or even some leftover minis, maybe), just toss me a PM or two. I've got a bunch of stuff I don't use any more, and there's no point in it just gatherin' dust.

6. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

There were a couple of earlier books on the Space Wolves that were pretty good. If you can find any of the 2nd edition rule Codex books, they have some great stories in them.

Unfortunately I sold off all my 40K stuff a few years ago; I was a hard-head and didn't like the changes made from 2nd to 3rd edition, but the imagination those people have at GW; their stories, their artists, miniature creators, they are all incredible talents.

7. Mrs. VR

ohhh! Yes!! I will shoot you a PM! :hearts:

8. Mrs. VR

I had never actually been in the store before this weekend, but I was blown away by some of the incredible paint jobs. I have loved watching our older son work on his. The time and care he spends in painting them is pretty cool to watch, it's so intricate, and it does take creativity. I really like that when they are playing they are actually spending time with other kids, and not staring at a computer or tv screen. I think it's a cool game.

9. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

A buddy of mine is a remarkable miniature painter, so much so that Mrs. Crit and I used a few models of his as the cake toppers at our wedding. The level of detail that can go into painting just one model can be really something. Keep an eye out for local tournaments and stuff (probably posted all over the place at the GW store) for chances for him to submit mini's for prizes, and that sort of thing! It can be a lot of fun to show up to that sort of thing, just to get a few games in with new folks, and to see miniatures from all over the area.

10. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Never read the books, played a fair bit of 40K in high school. Space Wolves and Tyranids :rock:

11. Mrs. VR

Did anyone here see the Warhammer cake they did on Ace of Cakes?

[​IMG]

12. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I will now lord all of my Geekdom over you! About 15 or so years ago while I was (sorta) trying to go to college, I worked in a comic and hobby store and played just about every game imaginable there. Warhammer 40K and their Fantasy games are incredible. There are several other miniature-based games, but GW pretty well has the market covered, employing some of the best model makers, painters, sculptors and artists I've seen. Their website is equally impressive showing all of their available stuff painting and laid out among all their incredible custom-made table top scenery. It's so easy to geek out on their stuff! But, that hobby while expensive does bring out a creative side that video games have no chance to. There is so much that goes into creating an army; from concept, to the table-top is quite a journey. The painting is just a part of it, but is also a source of pride, too. You have something substantial that you created in your hand for all to see. It's a great hobby with lots of fan-fiction and official stuff out there.

I was always a big Eldar player and I still get the itch to play from time to time. I sold off my stuff to finance my shooting hobby and I have a tinge or regret every once in a while since I have nothing but pictures of my army to show my son. It's a good thing I still have some of my old Codex books and my collection of Magic cards to fall back on! :cool:

13. jilverthor

jilverthor

That is very cool. As for the original topic, I read one book but never got all that into it, not sure why. I did play some 40k in the past.

14. Mrs. VR

I bow down to your superior geekdom :bowdown: :supergrin:

15. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

That's not necessarily the case any more. In the last several years, other companies have started to really dig in to GW's near-monopoly. A good chunk of gamers still get started with GW, mind you, and it's still running strong -- but much like D&D is no longer necesarily the "gold standard" of RPGs, GW's starting to feel the pressure. They went public a little while ago, had a few shakeups at the top levels, and the overall "feel" of their products has been changing for quite a while...more corporate, less home-grown geeks themselves. Several rules editions have come and gone, and while it's still a quality product, a lot of the charm is gone, leaving lots of players to look elsewhere.

What's more, an awful lot of sculptors, etc, only do freelance work nowadays. They might work on a new Space Marine one day, then turn around and co-design a whole line of mini's for a "rival" company. The whole thing's a pretty fascinating process (I saw a whole lot more of it than I though I ever would, helping get Spinespur up and semi-running a couple years ago, learning about the industry from a buddy who started up his own game company).

The whole process has gotten pretty cut-throat lately, with miniature companies trying to compete over a dwindling market as MMO's gobble up free time and spare money. GW's still the big dog on the porch, but they're more like a "first among peers" than they used to be.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  16. Naelbis

Naelbis

Suffer not the witch, nor the heretic to live. Drive the hateful Xenos from the stars and worlds of the Imperium. Trust in the Emperor and you shall know no fear.

I love the Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. Plenty of books and all excellent. I am a member of the Unforgiven myself, Angels of Vengence.

17. as400guy1

as400guy1

I've read one (one about the Deathwatch). My son has read a bunch. Have more miniatures than I'd like to admit......

18. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Praise the Emperor, and pass the ammunition! The Emperor protects.

19. Mrs. VR

It's really mean when I tell him to pick up his "little dolls" off the dining room table, isnt' it? :couch: :rofl:

20. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Whenever arguments turn nasty on any of the wargaming forums I frequent, sometimes I have to remind everyone we're bickering about the right way to play toy soldiers.

A little reality check's a good thing, every now an' then. :supergrin:

Just don't be surprised if the young Ork player suddenly deepens his voice, waves around a choppah (tm), and shouts "Oi! Youse 'umies bettah stop tellin' me an' me mates what's what! Get 'em! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"