Anyone else here race Mario Kart online?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Grabbrass, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

My wife's hardcore into the Nintendo game "Animal Crossing" and as something we can both do I've also played the game with her ever since the original DS. So when the new Animal Crossing game came out 9 days ago, it was perfectly timed for the great global sit-in. But I play that game just to have a common activity with the significant other. My thing is Mario Kart, so when we both bought Switch Lites and the AC game, I also bought Mario Kart 8. I'm playing online against random folks worldwide, but you can also play against specific persons by sharing friend code. Anybody wanna race? Let me know.

2. B C

B C

Have you run into any issues with Japanese players hacking and cheating in MK8? It was a big problem on MK7 for the 3DS.

3. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

No, not that I have seen. AFAIK the Switch is safe for online play. My understanding is that if you have one from early production and not updated past a certain firmware, it can be hacked. But once hacked, you can't take it online. Nintendo can still detect and bans the hacked consoles. And at least for the present, current production consoles can't be hacked.

My biggest complaint is the Switch has been out for 3 years now and they haven't released a new Mario Kart yet exclusively for Switch. The one I'm playing, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, is a spiffed-up version of the Wii U game. It is a Switch release, it's a little better and loaded with stuff compared to the Wii U version, but it's still basically the same game.