Anyone else have blinders on when it comes to deals?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Apr 3, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I dunno if anyone else is like this but sometimes an awesome deal will be staring me in the face and since I either am not looking for that particular gun or don't know much about it, I just glance over it.

A perfect example is the SKS. When I started shooting they were well under $100 for nice ones. And by the time I woke up and realized what a deal they were, the price was up to $175-ish. I should have grabbed all I could even at THAT price.

Another example was the Sig SP2022. It's just a great gun for the price....no other Sig is going to be NIB for well under $500. I did manage to grab one of those though.

Someone in another thread pointed out the Nagants were on sale for under $40 just two years ago on a site I normally check a few times a day. Now here I am looking for a crate of them and I'll be lucky to get them for $60-$70 apiece.

What are some examples of deals you didn't take advantage of because you either didn't know enough about the gun at the time or were just looking for something else at the time...and either way you kick yourself now for not buying one or a bunch?

I know some of the older folks are going to chime in about <$50 1911's shipped to your door from the government! ;)

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I my self rarely buy guns at good deals. Ive had a chance to buy police trade in G23s for $50, passed it up. SKSs for $190, passed that up. :dunno:

Usually I only like to buy NIB though.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Police trade in Glocks for $50?? Ok, you'll have to explain that one!

I'm not a fan of .40S&W but for $50 I'd buy a hundred and make a really nice profit.

-Emt1581

4. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I remember Chinese all-milled AKs with original pistol grip furniture, for $199.....at the mall, no less! They are so PC at the mall, that they will not allow anything firearm related to be sold there anymore.:steamed:

This had to be around 1985, or so.

If I could go back in time, I think I'd get a six-pack of them! :rofl:

hog

I also remember $10 military surplus rifles in the old Shotgun News......I bought a British 303 MK4 (I think that's what it was) for $15......and this one was not a re-make.....very pristine. It's now long gone.

hog

5. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

I find screaming deals...when I'm broke.

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Another thing to consider though is inflation. I mean I mentioned those "cheap" 1911's but back then a few grand would buy a nice home. Now you can have a few nice 1911's for a few grand.

That's something I've never seen is a gun shop in a mall. I think Abercrombie and GAP would crap their pants and leave!

-Emt1581

7. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I remember passing on genuine Colt branded AR-15 mags for $2, thousands of 'em. Could have negotiated a bulk discount, no doubt.

Just a couple months ago I passed up a mint S&W Model 19 P&R four inch barrel with perfect box & docs. It had pre-ban elephant ivory stocks that fit flawlessly and included the factory diamond stocks numbered to the gun. I walked away at $650 WITHOUT getting the seller's phone number. This was at a flea market. I returned to the same every week for a few weeks, but never saw the seller again. :crying:

8. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

From a friend who had three and didnt want them for some reason. I would assume he paid three to four times what he wanted for them. He has more money than brains.

I to don't like .40 so I passed. :faint:

9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Even if you could only buy a few at that price I would have jumped at them! Oh well...live and learn right!

I bet you'll never made that mistake again! ;)

-Emt1581

10. CajunBass

CajunBass

I remember seeing SKS's (no idea what kind, I bairly knew they were SKS's) back in the 80?...90's? for $99.00 or so. Of course that $99.00 was a more back then, but still it was pretty cheap. I just couldn't figure who'd want one of those pieces of junk. :upeyes:

11. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Several times.

SKS were $76.00 (Norinco). Friends were buying them two-at-a-time.
    I bought a Russian SKS for $159.00. (I've never fired it.)

A friend bought an FR-8 for $73.00. I went to that store two days later. GONE.

DC FOP Lodge had Glock 17 and 19 for $250.00, when MPD first adopted the pistol.
    I didn't buy one.

The worst one: A very good friend offered a BRAND NEW Bob Chow 1911A1 for $500.00.
    I was going through a divorce, and didn't want to urinate away the $$$.
    I was a FOOL to not buy that pistol!
    (I later found out that he would've taken 'the easy payment plan'.):crying:

12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Life is filled with missed opportunities.

Then sometimes years down the road that same item will pop up and you will almost kill yourself for not taking the original deal.

I have always wanted a 9mm Mauser pistol. I had a friend talk me out of one that would have been a steal.

I have always wanted a 9mm luger. I was offered one for $50 dollars. It had to be stolen or the person was clueless. The sad news it I didn't have $50 to spend.

Then there was the married co-worker who's marriage wasn't going so well. There are days when I am glad I am a gentleman, and then there are days when I kick myself for not taking advantage of her need for companionship.

13. Quack

Quack Rent this space

When i see a deal, i go for it.

14. testosterone

testosterone

I picked up my SKS for 79 bucks. Still have her. I remember them being in a big can and looking through them all to pick out the best example. Paid my 79 bucks and took her home after the waiting period (late 90s CA)

15. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

A couple years ago I passed on .44mag desert eagle with 15 magazines. Excellent condition no less. All for $600. I'll regret that all the days of my life.

16. rfd339

rfd339

Yep.. Colt defender 45acp , 3 mags used in great shape, $ 300. That was last year and I'm still kicking myself .

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  17. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

I think that this all boils down to the fact that we've all broken our
    crystal ball.......Oh the "What If's".

18. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Guns have increased in price at an accelerating rate over the last decade, and so has ammo. I don't regret what I picked or how long it took me, but I wish I'd bought everything 5 years sooner. Not being a fan of commie guns i'm not AS regretful, but I could stand a Mitchell Tankers Mauser in .30-06, and if I'd started 5 years sooner I'd own it already. ;)

For a while you could buy .357's and .38 specials for 150-200$ as departments retired revolvers.. now the same guns are double that.. and so are the vintage 'semi collectable' safe queens double what they used to be.. so for a guy wants a good shooter, pickins are slim.. I'm still hunting that next one..

19. tx787

tx787

The Sigma deal is making a very difficult decision for me. I know it's a terrible gun but for $319 minus $50 that's such a good price, plus I image since the next generation Sigma, now called the M&P is out it, they will discontinue the original pretty soon. Am I crazy or should I get one just because of the price??

20. CajunBass

CajunBass

I don't think it's a terrible gun. Mine works quite well so far and I see no reason to think it won't continue to. The trigger is heavy, but after shooting it a bit and dry firing it a lot, it's not bad at all.

I wish I'd gotten one when they were $250.00 with a $50.00 rebate and four mags, but hey..that's life.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010