Anyone else get their flu shot yet for 2020-2021?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mister Clean, Aug 28, 2020.

1. FlyFisher1

FlyFisher1

Done, along with shingles shot and pneumonia shot. My arm feels like a pin cushion.

deputy tom likes this.
  2. Squid1

Squid1

Got my flu shot today. First flu shot in 75 years but got ganged up on by wife who crossed her legs, daughter who ‘knows all’, son who competes with his sister and dr’s tirade using phrases like: ‘your age’; diabetes (‘yes, even controlled); mitral prolapse, covid reality and the killer threats, “your responsibility as my patient” and “...to remain in this medical practice.” The only way I win now is to get the flu so I’m gonna go kiss anyone with the flu!

3. Zonny

Zonny

Takes 2 weeks to kick in. I got mine on Monday (Sept 14th). I'm an 'older folk'.

deputy tom likes this.
  4. flyover

flyover

I will probably wait till after I get wheat planted, most likely the first part of October.

5. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Be glad. Put my daughter in the hospital when she was 18.

6. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Say it ain't so.

So what you are saying is there is hope for me?:clown:

7. Zonny

Zonny

Hope that you'll become an old fart? If you get your flu shot :)

deputy tom and flyover like this.
  8. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

Late Oct to early Nov for me. Get it to early and it loses its effectiveness before the season is even in full swing.

9. fg17

fg17

Probably don’t need one, but I started getting them anyway.

Kind of like carrying a gun or keeping a fire extinguisher or insurance blah, blah, blah....:D

deputy tom likes this.
  10. Zonny

Zonny

Everything I've heard/read we are being advised to get it earlier than usual this year.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  11. flyover

flyover

A couple of the CDC big whigs have suggested waiting a bit, I think Dr. Redfield was one of them.

Zonny likes this.
  12. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Yep, we got our shots on the 15th and I'm betting we are older than you. Just kidding or maybe not. tom. :cheers:

czsmithGT and Zonny like this.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Got mine. The Army sent me a voucher to take to Walgreens and I need to go there anyhow.

14. Squid1

Squid1

Two sea stories about shots from 4 yrs as Navy Corpsman: 1. Balboa Naval Hospital, SDiego, a patient (Marine) dying of preventable infectious disease looks up at me and says: ‘tell my buddies to go get the shots which we paid the crooked Navy dr to make fake entries on our shot records;’. 2. As**hole officer who treated us like dirt left our command and arrived at medical in-processing for new (promotion) command only to discover his shot record was missing from Medical file (pre-computers.) He was quarantined in place, lost promotion, lost command and eventually left service. The people he s**t on took turn hanging his framed shot record on their work spaces.

Bren likes this.
  15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

My doctor recommended Sepy 15 or a bit later. Here is what the CDC web site actually says:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

You should get a flu vaccine before flu viruses begin spreading in your community, since it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against flu. Make plans to get vaccinated early in fall, before flu season begins. CDC recommends that people get a flu vaccine by the end of October. However, getting vaccinated early (for example, in July or August) is likely to be associated with reduced protection against flu infection later in the flu season, particularly among older adults. Vaccination should continue to be offered throughout the flu season, even into January or later. Children who need two doses of vaccine to be protected should start the vaccination process sooner, because the two doses must be given at least four weeks apart.

So their example indicates August is too early and after October may be too late. It does not say Sept 15 is too early. And children who require 2 shots should start sooner than adults who only require 1 shot.

flyover likes this.
  16. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I received mine the other day.

17. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

Have not had a bout with the flu for many years. Kind of ambivalent about the flu shot, but our “nervous Nellie” little mate has been nagging us about it for years. We finally knuckled under last year and took our first one. No flu.

Went for a well check last week and the Doc and mate started in, so rather than be double teamed we took the shot. Don’t put much stock in them because we have known a number of folks who took the shot and had bouts with flu anyway.

We trudge on (properly inoculated).

18. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I
    I have gotten them every year since the Army made them mandatory.

19. bdcochran

bdcochran

Yes. If you simply walk into County Health, you can get it and any required school shots for free. I belong to an HMO and simply walked in, no charge.
    1. the non-scientific journal reports are that people who received the annual flu shot fared better if they contract the epidemic virus.
    2. the reason that you can get the public shot or my HMO shot for free is because the cost of taking care of one seriously ill flu victim is quite high. So, it is better to give free shots.

20. bdcochran

bdcochran

Then don't get it.