Anyone drive a FJ Cruiser??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by buckhunter3987, Feb 15, 2010.

1. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Well I'm about to finish my masters and hopefully land a decent job and I think its time to get a new vehicle, as the Toyota P/U I got when I was 16 is getting up there in miles(280K). I am partial to Toyota because this has been a solid truck, and I plan on keeping it. The only work I've other than general maintenance is we recently did a clutch job because I broke the pressure plate in half somehow:wow:

Since I will be keeping the P/U I don't really need another truck so I'm thinking SUV. I got to looking on the web last night and really like the looks of the new FJs, they seem to be reasonably priced, and don't look like every other SUV on the road. Plus the interior is rugged so I won't be scared to take it camping and get it dirty.:cool:

What are the known issues they have had with them? I have read some on the interwebs about transfer case problems, does anyone have any insight on this?

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

they are a very tiny box and not enjoyable if you are of average american build ..

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I looked at them seriously but couldn't get over the disgraceful fuel mileage. Barely 20mpg on the hwy. Others complain about the blindspots but a little head turning fixed that. HH

4. CBennett

CBennett

love them HATE the MPG they get..thats the ONLY thing that stopped me from getting either that or the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4 door version...I was just sick of getting 15 MPG(or worse :) ) Since I dont do a lot of heavy off roading just some light stuff down logging trails and across fields hunting and fishing..I think im just gonna go back to Subaru next time.

5. geez1234

geez1234

6. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Hmmm... They look bigger than a 4-Runner or Trailblazer etc. It's got to have more room than my P/U. I'll have to go sit in one though before I really start my looking.

7. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Yeah thats about all I get out of my P/U these days so I won't notice any difference:supergrin:

And I am still up in the air if I even want a 4wd at all. I have my truck, and I also have a '73 scout that can go anywhere imaginable (its almost not even fun because you are never scared of getting stuck:dunno:...ALMOST:supergrin:). That would save some on gas mileage.

8. concrete

concrete

:rofl:

9. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Yeah I am used to blindspots, my truck now has had a broken drivers side mirror for the past 6 months. My neck muscles are well toned:supergrin:

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

you definately want to drive one before you buy one,

the only ones i like are the new tundras and the sequoia however you spell that one,

the other ones i hit my head in or my knees on something ..

11. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

:rofl::rofl:

I actually like that color dispite that. The silver, the maroon, or black are also options but I don't think I could handle the black during a Georgia August.:faint:

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

It is the soccer mom version of the original FJ, just like the Hummer H2 is to the Humvee. I doubt that either of them are very capable, surely nothing like their predecessors. From what I can tell, it's basically the 4Runner but with a manual transmission option. If you want a Toyota SUV with a manual manual, that's the way to go.

Now this is an FJ:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These things could truly go anywhere, much like the old land rovers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  13. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

I test drove one the first year. MPG:wow: and blind spots told me no.

14. DMGunn

DMGunn

Good thing you aren't considering it as a serious 4x4 :rofl: - take a quick look at the ground clearance under the front diff, and you will see why the only guys that brag about it's capability are the ones that have never owned a real 4x4....

They are different, though, and more than capable of getting you most places on roads of any condition. And it sounds like you have your mind pretty much made up, so why not go drive one for an hour, and see what you think?

15. KC Slim

KC Slim

http://www.4wdtoyotaowner.com/FJCruiser.html
    I'm pretty sure that the new fjs are extremely capable off road. I dont have a ton of 4x4 experience, but the pictures at the above link seem to show the new fj doing some fairly gnarley offroading.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  16. Kozel

Kozel

You should put one of those on the trailer and tow behind your (so called) FJ.....

Well.. maybe not... people will be driving off the freeway and killing themselves in spasms of laughter!

17. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

This is my off road rig right after I bought it and after we rebuilt the top end. I haven't done anything else to it but once I'm done with school and making some money I'll be able to get it where I want it and actually go off roadin some. If I end up getting an FJ it'll primarily be a daily driver and go on the occational camping trip. I know full well the kind of stuff you can tear up hard core off roading and I can't afford to have my daily driver down cause I broke something on the trail.

:wavey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I like the looks of them but the gas mileage is not good. If you drive a lot you should get something with better mileage.

19. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

I love IH vehicles.All said and done I'd prefer my '76 Jeep Wagoneer ta a new FJ,the older 40/41s' would be a close 2nd.AS ta gas mileage my older V-8 jeep/3/4 ton dana suspension is much more suited ta my needs than a new FJ would be.I have an old forestry vehicle/hence the 3/4 ton suspension.My DD is a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited/V-8 auto/full time 4wd.As youse may have noticed,I like Jeeps.'08. :woohoo:

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

My Wife has an '08 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams edition.
    In Miami she gets 17.5 mpg, highway is 21 mpg.

We've got 20k miles on it, it's been outstanding. Blind spots are very
    easily cured by a 2.5" round blind-spot stick on mirror.
    We love it, I'm 5'11" 210,.......plenty of room for me!

Keep in mind,.....2010 is the last year of production.