close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone drink brandy and/or cognac?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nsl, Mar 3, 2010.

1. nsl

nsl

I got on a kick of drinking lower shelf brandy like Christian Brothers, St. Remy,etc, and was wondering what a cognac like Hennessy tastes like in comparison.

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I don't know but I like Hennessy VS.

3. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Years ago I used to drink Courvoisier VSOP or XO almost exclusively. It is very different from something like Christian Brothers brandy. You'll have to try it for yourself and see if you like it. I quit drinking completely for about ten years and gravitated to scotch when I started back. I still get the occasional snifter of cognac if we're out somewhere.

4. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Try Metaxa 7 Star....Must be the 7 Star.
    Fine Greek Brandy, reasonable price.

5. LawDog2006

LawDog2006

I keep a bottle of Hennessy for common consumption and one of Remy Martin VSOP for special consumption. One of the biggest differences I've noted as you ascend/descend the quality scale, is waht I keep calling (despite a proper name no doubt), the point of warming. Cheaper congac seems to have an ealier POW than better quality brands, meaning I feel a bit of warm/burn closer to my throat. Hennessy and Remy have a POW that doesn't really hit until it settles in my stomach, than i can feel the good warm spread upwards in a smooth fashion.

This is all IMHO, but if you're going to drink, drink less and drink good. Let me know if you want to $0.02 on matching cigars!

6. boats1

boats1

......."drink less and drink good". Good message, that.

7. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

I like the Hiram Walker brand peach brandy.

8. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I drink Daniel Bouju cask strength cognac. The 15 year old is 120 proof, about 80-100$ a bottle; the 40 year old is about 200$ a fifth and is 100 proof, the 80 year old is 82 proof and 450$ a bottle.

I've not yet bought the 80 year old, and the 40 is too good to indulge in often. The 15 year old comes close to being ideal, if I hadn't ever tried the older stuff.

It's not that I can't find anything else to drink, it's that nothing else gets close to as fine a taste. Tongue perfume. I have no clue why anybody would settle for less once they knew why not.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010