Anyone done a spring swap in a smith revolver?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I have a model 27-3 i really like. Trigger is smooth but a little stiff. (im an auto guy.)
    Ive heard of people using lighter springs like wilson combat or wolff. How much do these improve things? Also, is reliability good with the lighter pull?

2. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I've done it. I'd not go below a 13# trigger spring unless you only shoot in SA. I don't like the sound of the Wolff main spring. Sounds cheap imo. I would (and do) take the retention screw out and file it down a bit. Trigger feels better with OEM main spring in also imo.

Bill Keith likes this.

3. phonejack

phonejack

This is my M-28. See the small screw on the front of the grip frame ? That's called the strain screw. It's supposed to be screwed all of the way in. It's not recommended but, some people back the screw out a small amount to lessen the trigger pull.

Attached Files:

4. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

I changed the spring in the wifes 642. Went from 12 to 9...estimated. I feel better, but it could be better....smother. I'm no expert on any weapon so my opinion is worth what you paid for it...lol

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

It's not recommended because it can cause light strikes that won't ignite a primer.

Better to get a qualified gunsmith imo to do stone work on the action.

Just my $.02.

byf43 and Borg Warner like this.
  6. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

My personal opinion is to send it to a pro like Nelson Ford or Frank Glenn and get it done right.

Gray Dood likes this.
  7. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

I put a Wolff kit in my model 69. I had to tweak it a bit, but it's WAY better than it was.

Tony

8. Berto

Berto woo woo

I might try that in an Nframe, bigger lockwork is a little more forgiving.

9. 0311INF

0311INF

Any dings on the sideplate from improper removal or assembly will be a value killer, if that matters to you. I'd back out the strain screw a little bit, maybe a quarter turn.

byf43 likes this.
  10. ede

ede

I use Wolff reduced power springs with 11# rebound string with a coil or so clipped. Reliability is great with Federal primers with a 5 pound trigger, or less. I run extended firing pins in some of my revolvers.

11. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I replaced the rebound spring on my S&W 69 with a 14 pound Wolff spring. That is the heaviest reduced power spring they make. It made a difference both in SA and DA and changing the rebound spring will not result in light primer strikes.

Too light a mainspring you get light primer strikes. Too light a rebound spring the the trigger gets stuck in rear position. I think there is more room to play with on the rebound spring and so far I have not had any problems.

Springs are pretty inexpensive. If your 27 is a range gun you don't have much to lose by trying lighter springs. I would leave the stock springs on carry gun.

12. John_AZ

John_AZ

I tried a 642 with the wolf soring kit put in. I wasn’t impressed. It had a hitch in the pull.

My 442 is just fine after countless dry fires and shooting at the range.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I had a smithy put Wilson spring kits in a couple of my N frames. It helps the DA pulls quite a bit.

14. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

I put an Apex kit in my J-Frame. I substituted an 18# rebound spring for the kit’s 12#. I did a little polishing on the rebound slide, also. The excessively stiff DA on my M638 went down to a little over 9# with a nice tactile reset. The Apex kit uses a reduced power firing pin spring to eliminate light strikes. It really made my revolver just how I wanted it.

1eyedjack01 and SWFlGuy like this.
  15. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

I've installed Wolf springs in a few S&W revolvers, J, K L and N frames. Do not install the weakest rebound spring, use the strongest in the kit, it'll be softer than the stock spring. The very soft rebound spring is too slow for D/A shooting, you'll end up short stroking the trigger. The lighter mainsprings may or may not work, sometimes they are too light and you'll get misfires. Wolf sells a standard power mainspring that seems lighter than the S&W springs. In fact there is a lot of difference in the weight of pull from one gun to another. I see this is J frame guns as well as the others. The action will smooth up just from use, firing or dry firing. I have a new 617 that has smoothed up a lot with only about 300 rounds thru it, I have a Wolf kit for it but I want to shoot it enough to prove it before installing the springs. The first 2 times to the range it spit a couple times from the left side, last time it didn't but I only fired about 30 or 40 rounds last time out. If it continues to spit it's gotta go back to S&W.
    Sorry I got so long winded.............................................

Glock 17L and Dave Lively like this.
  16. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Loosening or filing the strain screw is pure Bubba gunsmithing. A loose strain screw will continue to back out until the gun won't fire. Do not do it to a classic N frame.

If it were me, I'd send that 27-3 beauty to Smith and Wesson for a trigger job. Won't be cheap, but the value of N frames is not going down and a receipt for a trigger job from Smith might enhance the value to the right buyer down the road.

I have a couple of later model Smith shooters (post 2000, 66-5 & 64-6) that had atrocious, heavy triggers that I replaced the main spring and rebound spring on with the Wolff standard power with real good results. They have been 100% reliable, but still not real light.

With one exception, I run all my other revolvers (1950's to 1980's) bone stock as the stock triggers are good enough. The exception is a 6 1/2" 29-2 that I bought used. It has had a trigger job done in the past. Very smooth DA, and SA is very light and breaks like glass. This gun is extremely accurate and 100% reliable. I need to find something to hunt with it.

Rellik and John_AZ like this.
  17. billorights

billorights

An action job, smoothing up all internals, such as the rebound slide, and all contact points will make a lot of difference. I would never file down the spring screw. Some use to take a round off the rebound slide spring. That affects the trigger pull without risking light hammer strikes. I never changed springs and had very smooth trigger pulls. Don't touch that damn cylinder ratchet for God's sake.

byf43 and IAhunter like this.
  18. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Yes reliability will be affected. Period. For Gods sake, don’t bugger up the side plate screws by using an improper screwdriver. I’ve had good results installing reduced rebound springs. Reliability will be affected but lesss so with the rebound than the mainspring. If it’s just a toy go for it, if you have the proper tools.

Glock 17L and IAhunter like this.
  19. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Ditto on a S&W 640.

They will improve trigger weight a great deal. A quick pass with a whetstone will clean of any manufacturing roughness. I've used them in several revolvers.

Most of the force on the trigger is the trigger return string.

I would be leery of reduced power mainsprings in Rimfire revo though. Those I've not had good luck with - even with extended firing pins.

20. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

Actually, Wolff makes a 15-pound and a 16-pound Rebound Spring for S&W Revolvers...I usually use the 15-lb. spring in older guns with the Hammer-mounted Firing Pin and a 14-lb. spring in the newer guns with the MIM Triggers and Hammers...FWIW, the Factory Rebound Spring is 18 pounds...

Dave Lively likes this.