Anyone do the 25 cent trigger job?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by theSteels, Jul 21, 2019.

1. theSteels

theSteels

Hey all, I'm very happy with my G21 but had always heard of the 25 cent trigger job. I think it involves polishing some contact points and easing up the tension, a few ytoob vids on it. Had anyone here done it? Would you recommend? Does it wear off after a while?

2. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

There are 2 camps.

1) Don't do it. The trigger will break in on its own.
    2) Do it.

Join one.

3. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Obviously fitting parts and breaking them in are 2 different things. And obviously removed material does not come back after a while.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  4. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers Kilt in Da Streetz since 1999

5. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I always do it. Smooths it right out. Then I put Thousands of rounds through it. I would recommend a newbie just use a cotton wheel and Flitz or Mother’s Mag and Aluminum Polish.

6. theSteels

theSteels

I don't think you're supposed to remove any material, just polish the pieces.

7. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I've never heard a good enough reason to do it. It's a trigger. It works. Good enough. My two cents.

125K9 and Mike-M like this.
  8. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

OK man, thanks for letting me know.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  9. kme

kme

I am a fan. Have done it on my four Glocks. Flitz and wool felt Dremel polishing mandrel at low speed. Definitely recommend the polishing job and buying a minus connector.

10. gh1138

gh1138

How many rounds do you have through your 21? My understanding is it makes a new trigger feel more like a broken-in trigger, so if you have several hundred rounds through it, I don't think it would make any/much of a difference.

I performed one on a 17.4 as it's the only Glock I have that I dislike the trigger (also the only gen 4 Glock I have) . I noticed a small difference, but I still didn't like the trigger, even after several hundred rounds, so I went aftermarket.

Not sure if it would make a bigger difference on other Glock gens or models.

theSteels likes this.
  11. theSteels

theSteels

Not sure of the round count, I bought it as an LEO trade in but the thing looks new, probably only used to qualify and no holster wear at all. Under 1k for sure including the few hundred I've shot.

12. Deadduck357

Deadduck357

Yes, I do it to almost every Glock I got. Just the contact points and not all blinged-out.

13. gh1138

gh1138

Well it wouldn't hurt anything to do it, but not sure it would do any good if it has a few hundred rounds through it already, unless someone put new parts in it before it was sold.

A warning, though. Figuring out how to do the trigger job led me to an aftermarket trigger, then two Polymer 80 complete guns, then 2 additional factory frames, and finally a Gock 20 slide for an already owned Glock 21. Of course, if you're already used to stripping a frame or slide, you're probably over that compulsion!

theSteels and AdamRodgers like this.
  14. Bluescot

Bluescot

I've done it on all my Glocks when purchased whether new or used. I think it helps a wee bit but won't turn a stinker into a trophy.

jconn465, theSteels and AdamRodgers like this.
  15. deathpriest

deathpriest

i've done it to every gun Glock I've had

AdamRodgers likes this.
  16. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Yes, I do it on every Glock. and it makes the trigger SO MUCH better. Mrgunsngear has maybe one of the best videos on how to do it. It's seriously a 15 min job.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_edmc5iih0E

And I use the Dremel as he does and Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish. And the parts just shine when I'm finished.

Navy1964 and theSteels like this.
  17. wario

wario Glock Lover...

Put a couple thousand rounds through it and lube it on cleanings... That's the best break-in. It's a Glock.

18. theSteels

theSteels

Or I can make it smoother now without having to spend hundreds on thousands of rounds and enjoy a lighter pull sooner.

19. Judgemax

Judgemax

This is an old and time honored process. I do it before I fire the first round (outside the factory). Over the years I’ve seen variations in the quality of the new parts but all have benefited from a little polishing. If Gunsngear is doing the .25 cent job then I guess I’m doing a .35 cent job.

I also polish the outside of the striker spring because it kinks a little under compression and rubs along the inside of the firing pin channel during the trigger pull. Removing the spring from the striker to polish it also makes it easier to do the striker tab surfaces.
    I do the outer side of the trigger bar where it rubs on the polymer frame from the safety plunger activator to the birds head end. The polymer ridges the the bar rubs against can be polished too. That breaks the hard edges of each little ridge.
    I do the end of the vertical protrusion of the connector where it rubs the inside of the birds head end of the trigger bar after it disconnects and the trigger bar rubs against it through the resetting process.

Many will say any or all of this is completely unnecessary but I like doing it. And no job seems complete IMO unless you also make the straight edge of the safety tab in the middle of the trigger shoe curve to match the face of the main part of the trigger shoe. Now it’s a full.50 cent job!

Enjoy your Glock anyway you like. Polish, lube, clean or not. Mod the frame, slide, trigger or sights or not. Install a Barsto or other barrel. Change springs. Spend $398 or a couple thousand. It won’t get more reliable than stock but you may enjoy the Glock ownership experience a little more if you get intimate with it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  20. Mike-M

Mike-M

It is NOT "honored" by Glock. Any pistol that Glock receives for repair will have parts showing these "improvements" replaced.

Of course, why would anyone attach value to what the newbie amateurs at Glock think? They sell weapons. It takes the "professionals" in the non-LEO and non-military customer base to turn them into range toys. :)

DirectDrive likes this.