Anyone buying based on ammo availability?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by dcr5468, Jul 4, 2020.

1. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

In this thread, shortage of 9mm makes OP consider better calibers (40 / 10mm).
    :dancingbanana:

-JCN- and Deputydave like this.
  2. Delndskyjmpr

Delndskyjmpr

I just picked up 2k of 124gr 9 yesterday, cost me about $100 more per 1k. Still a deal at current prices online. On GB, prices were over $400/cs of 1k.

I was down to about 1500 rnds of 9 when the whole Covid thing started, I shoulda restocked then but didn’t.

-JCN-, Bus007 and mbrad like this.

3. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

A guy was posting about a gun shop here in Oklahoma when he went shopping . He said they had guns and guns, rows deep. Everything you'd want.

He also said they had plenty of ammo, all calibers.
    https://www.okshooters.com/threads/gunworld-prices-yesterday.294260/

He thought maybe their prices had something to do with it.
    9mm Fiocchi 115gr. FMJ range ammo - 50 round box - $40
    9mm Hornady Critical Duty - 124gr +P - 25 round box - $55
    .380 Fiocchi 95gr FMJ range ammo - 50 round box - $50

Sig M17 - $899
    Taurus PT1911 - $899
    SW 642 .38spl - $699
    Glock 48 - $799

Yeah, I'm headed there now! /sarc

-JCN- and NewWaveGuy like this.
  4. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

No. There's been some sort of hangup with ammo supply pretty much the entire time I've been shooting. So my perspective is that anyone interested in shooting should be moving toward a lifetime supply of ammo fairly early in the scheme of things.

Shooting just isn't the kind of activity where you can rely on stable availability of resources. If you want stability, you need to be proactive. That includes ammo, guns, parts and the ability to do your own work.

5. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Gotta give this a big +1

-JCN- and quantico like this.
  6. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

A lifetime is a lot of ammo..

Getting to 1000 rounds of practice and 100 rounds of defensive ammo puts you in a reasonable place.

At that point putting 500 dollars into reloading might make more sense. At least for one or two common calibers you want to shoot for a long time.

7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Not necessarily. Some people don't shoot very much. And few people shoot high volumes of numerous calibers. When I started out, I figured a max of a million rounds of 9mm. So 110 grand at 11 cents.

-JCN- likes this.
  8. sonoma

sonoma

In the obama years i found 40 caliber for 30 dollars per 100 round box.9mm was 26 dollar per 100 round box but is was scarce.

9. johnnypaul

johnnypaul

I just got 6600rds of federal .22 yesterday. Need to buy another .22 next.

10. quantico

Before I started making my own 185 grain 45acp ammo with 4 grains of tite group and nosler HP competition bullets I ran winchester 185 grain commercial ammo. I would buy 10 thousand rounds at a time to keep the load as much the same as possible.

I have shot 1200 rounds in an afternoon at the range. But my hands in pain for days made that less fun.. now a typical range session is 250 rounds. Of 45 or 10mm ..

Buying a dillon progressive has been a great way to make high quality ammo as I need it.

You are correct that some people dont shoot much. My brother in law used to love to shoot 500 plus rounds of my 5.56 in my colt ar. While I was teaching his son and my sister to shoot. That was not a great deal..

11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

There will be no "Long Term" shortage unless We, the People fail to Re-elect Trump. Like him or not, he's all that stands between us and totalitarian gun control as the answer to the civil unrest that the Left itself has created and nourished.

If Trump is re-elected things will get back to normal. If not, welcome to the "New Normal".

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  12. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

My interest is primarily in the quality of the shooting. The act of discharging the gun is not very interesting to me, independent of the shooting. So I don't shoot more than what I feel is developmentally constructive.

The volume picks up a bit in winter, because I focus more on outlaw hanging steel-type stuff. But volume slows down in summer, with more focus on off-couch/pressure conditions. I don't think I've actually shot 50k in any one calendar year yet, and that includes a fair number of weeks when I shoot 4 or 5 days, even every day.

I can't think of an application where it would be constructive for me to shoot 1200 rounds in a day. I could see that if you include live and dry, but not all live. The more often I shoot, generally the less I shoot per session. I think I've been pretty consistent around 40-45k/year for the past few years, and maybe about 400k total in 10 years.

I could cut back and/or diversify a bit if necessary. Experience shows what's best done with dry fire and visualization vs. what needs to be done live.

-JCN- likes this.
  13. quantico

I have fired 1200 rounds thru my 1911's in one day more than once

14. grumpy1

grumpy1

No I am not buying now. Prices on 9MM are double what I paid stocking up during the "buy cheap and stack deep" years of 2017-2019. Have no idea how long it will last but IMO it could be quite a while. I also read ammo production has been nearly stopped in some states due to Covid 19 work lock downs. Hopefully production will be in full swing everywhere soon if not already. I remember CCI built a new 22 LR production facility a few years back and hopefully they will catch up soon too.

I really hope the democrats do not take the white house this November. They have been wanting to ban lead bullets for a while for "environmental reasons" but the real reason is to make ammo so expensive most can not afford to shoot at the range regularly or at all anymore which of course would put most gun stores and ranges out of business. Of course heavy taxes on ammo, bans on internet sales, limitations on amount allowed to be purchased, micro stamping, background checks to purchase/posses ammo, etc would also be a priority.

billy_56081 likes this.
  15. 5.45 Shooter

5.45 Shooter

I learned last few runs on ammo that stocking up is a thing of the past. I learned to buy reloading supplies when the market is slow & everyone is having sales on everything I need to reload. I never get in a pinch again & I have all the ammo I want to shoot.

16. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Sheepdog

I don't need to buy another handgun, rifle, carbine or shotgun for the rest of my life.

So taking ammo availability into account is the least of my worries.

17. nerr

nerr

Check on reloading components. A LGS last week had lots of powder, but only large rifle and shotgun primers. Bullet shelves were pretty bare, as was handgun ammo, except for some expensive defensive stuff and less popular calibers.

As mentioned in previous posts here, there was still some 45acp and 40s&w and shotgun shells (shot, not slugs) were available.

But I have heard of places that seem to have some ammo available locally, though I've not checked them yet. It seems to be pretty spotty at local level. ammoseek.com can't keep up with the 9mm ammo availability: it seems to disappear very quickly. That is also what my LGS was saying: he was amazed that a delivery of 9mm lasted 2 days.

My son lucked out getting his first handgun and his LGS sold him some 9mm to break it in and get used to it. He visited from KS right after he got it so I shared the experience, some practice time and ammo, and gave him some defensive and practice ammo to take home.

18. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

Totally agree with you.

I always shook my head when I read countless threads about consolidation to a single caliber. But many people just talked up how it’s a great idea not to have different calibers to shoot. And not to have a problem of mixing up, organizing, storing different calibers.

I got 9mm because it was (until now) cheap to shoot and a great performer.
    .45acp because it is cost effective to reload even on my cheap single stage press. And a 1911 is an awesome platform to shoot.
    .357mag because I can also shoot .38spl ammo. Switching up to wheel guns is also a nice change from the plastic fantastic wonder nine semi autos.
    .22lr because I stocked up years ago and in times like now I can still go out and shoot all day for cheap. Years ago I bought cases of .22lr at $28 per 500. Time to dust off the .22lr because I haven’t touched them in years.

Just like a financial advisor will tell you to It’s safer to diversify your portfolio the same can be said about owning multiple calibers.

Deputydave likes this.
  19. seang23or32

seang23or32

I picked up a Glock 41, gen 4 refurbished for $500 back in April, thought it would be a good idea to have another option than my 9mm's. Then decided I would try to find a .40 at a good price and ended up with a new Gen 4 29. Now I have a gen 4 30 in layaway. Both the 29 and 30 were $579, not great deals but also not price gouged. I would not have paid $650 or $700 before tax for the 29 and 30.

Locally the stores are better stocked with .45 and .40, when they do have 9mm it is only $2 per box less than the other calibers. It's been fun working with the .45 and 10mm.

20. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I remember when many considered it "wise" to consolidate calibers when it came to owning handguns. Having all or most of your guns in 9-mm, for example, would just make things "simpler." A lot of people were claiming .40 is dead... trade'em in for 9-mm. Glad I didn't!

Today, I'm glad I've got handguns in: .38-SPL, .357-Mag, 9-mm, .40-S&W, .45-ACP, 5.7-mm, and .22LR. And, plenty of ammo for each (except not much .357-Mag ammo). My ammo purchases are on hold, just like they were during the post-Sandy Hook frenzy.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    -JCN- likes this.