Anyone buy their pet meds online?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Feb 4, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've been buying my GSD's heartworm and flea meds from my vet. However, I'm wondering if it's cheaper to do it online?

Anyone do it? Who's the best to buy from?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. janice6

janice6

I found the Frontline flea and tic from the Vet was only small change (a few cents) more costly. Didn't even pay for the postage.

3. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

We buy some of our pet meds on line...Two of my GSD's (brother\sister\litter mates) have EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency)...We buy the enzyme replacement formula for their food on line...Less expensive...

Not sure where my wife orders it from -- sorry not much help there...

Any way, in our experience it's less expensive, and delivery has been very fast...

As a matter of fact, when we told our vet he was to expensive on this stuff, he suggested we try on line -- his nose was not bent out of shape at all...

Ask your vet?

DD~

4. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

5. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

6. majic man

majic man

I always order my dogs heartworm pills from 1800petmeds and been happy with them

7. odesskiy

odesskiy Crazy Russkiy

Dr. Foster & Smith is definitely a good place, always ordered from them without an issue.

The problem with buying heartworm medication online is that it requires a prescription, which vets are reluctant to write, wanting to sell you from their stock instead. You can insist, but they make you feel like you are taking food out of their children's mouths. That reminds me...I only have two months worth left...

8. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Rumors go around about getting fake stuff. I spend about $13 on gas to drive to my vet, I try to incorporate it in another reason to make the trip. I should look into getting it online though, would make life easier.

9. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

I buy from 1800petmeds. They're based out of Pompano Beach Florida so if they ******* up my dog's meds, it's a quick drive down the road.

Haven't had a problem yet. I compare the box I receive to a Revolution box from my vet. Same stuff every time so far. No fleas, ticks, or heartworms for either of my dogs.

I'm checking out that link one of the other poster's listed though. I would switch quickly away from 1800petmeds if I can find it somewhere else for a reasonable price but my vet is about $50 more expensive. I had a vet that price matched them but I've moved and the new vet won't do it.

10. Halojumper

Halojumper

I started doing this to get my dog's rhymadyl. I used www.petmedsnmore.com. They are priced among the best and they ship fast. Also, last time I ordered I made a mistake and picked the wrong format. They noticed the difference and called me before it shipped to verify that I really did want the different one. I plan to continue using them.

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Couldn't do it. I value and respect my vet too much. HH

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I buy Revolution (for fleas) online. Everything else at the Vet.
    I have two cats on a special diet that I have to get at the Vets. $43 for a 16 pound bag. Since the other cats can get to it to a bag doesn't last long. I try and keep three or four bags ahead.

13. bubba803

bubba803

Petshed.com. Good prices. They are in Australia but shipping is not bad and pretty fast too. I like my vet too, but I have to save money where ever I can.

14. vafish

vafish

Wife orders heartworm and flea/tick stuff on line. I think she uses 1800petmeds.

15. schild

schild

I respect my vet too, but that doesn't keep him from screwing me. Not long ago I was running low on Rimadyl and wanted to buy TWO PILLS from my vet while I waited for a shipment from Foster and Smith to arrive, the vet wanted $20 for TWO PILLS that cost me $1.20 each from F&S.
    Besides heartworm two of my three Dobes each get two prescription meds so I would guesstimate that I'm saving $100/month buying from Foster and Smith.
    Shipping is free from Foster and Smith and if a prescription runs out they will fax the vet for a new prescription.
    When I had a dog that was very sick I was buying human antibiotics from Canadian pharmacies.

16. Resqu2

Resqu2

Our vet price matches for the 2 big names, Foster & Smith and 1-800-pet-meds I believe. They don't advertise that they do this but they do, the lady's working up front usually fuss about it but they end up doing it. This saves us possibly hundreds each year.

17. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

It's good that at least one of you does that.

18. mrbray101

mrbray101

I asked my vet if he could match prices or similar to the online price and he said no so I have been ordering Sentinel (heartworm/flea) from 1800 pet meds for about 2 years. I think I was paying nearly 30 bucks a pill from the vet from 1800petmeds its about 120 for a whole year. Over a $200 savings for the year.

19. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

i mentioned this to my vet last month when i was there. He said that the vet. office has dropped their prices to compete with the online folks. He said the difference is very small, it's almost not worth it. He did say that he would write a prescription if that is what we wanted. So it was up to us. He's a really cool Doctor.

20. deathpriest

deathpriest