Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeding 3 GSD's right now + an extra (who doesn't eat much - he's little) and I've finally had it with buying bag after bag of food every month or so. Petco (not sure about others) offers a 10% off discount when you buy 200 lbs of any premium food. Can buy different types within the same brand, but can't mix and match brands. The 10% off discount wasn't really enough to make me want to store all that food, but then the food went on sale + the discount, + an additional 10% off "entire purchase" coupon.

So I stocked up. I had recently purchased a bag, which took me to the 10th bag of their "buy 10, get 1 free" deal. So I had the purchased bag, a free bag, the 5 bags to hit the 200 lbs, plus I have one eating a different brand so I have hers here too.

I'm sitting on about 300 lbs of dog food right now. :shocked: All dates are good for over a year, but it'll be gone in 6 months.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Even with 3 dogs I never fooled with that. The dates may be good, but it gets pretty hot and humid around here and I worry about mold.

A friend of mine had a kennel of about 10-15 Lab Retrievers. She used to get a truck from the distributor every few months! :wow: Saved her a bundle, though.

I also know the BARFers around here get together and buy in bulk. But then they have the logistics of splitting up the order, people don't show up when they're supposed to, etc...

Interestingly enough, I can buy the food at retail from PetSmart cheaper than I can get it from my wholesalers! :steamed: The wholesalers keep insisting PetSmart is selling at a loss, but somehow I don't believe that.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even with 3 dogs I never fooled with that. The dates may be good, but it gets pretty hot and humid around here and I worry about mold.
I keep it stored inside in the spare bedroom with the AC on this time of year.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I buy raw by the case from a local wholesale company that also does smaller retail carry-out; as much as I can fit in my chest freezer. I pay less than the price of premium kibble to feed raw and about half again as much as junk supermarket stuff. It takes a little extra effort, but it really is worth it. Dogs deserve real food!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assure you they are eating a high quality food - and one of them can't eat BARF, even if I wanted to feed it to her. She has a medical condition that prevents it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts