Anyone buy a car thru an auction site ??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by quantico, Sep 24, 2020.

1. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I have been shopping for an older porsche for a fun car and maybe some track days. Been looking at cars and bids. And bring a trailer. I have made some bids.. but will not bid full retail price because I would be bidding blind. Getting a pre purchase inspection makes sense.... but how many inspections would I want to pay for not knowing if I can buy a car for a reasonable price. ??

Plus you can buy a car with hidden damage or a bad porsche engine fault. Pay 30 k for a car and in a couple weeks it needs a 18 thousand dollar engine repair.

So anyone here buy an auction car ?? How did it work out for you. Would you do it again ??

MB-G26 likes this.
  2. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I have bid on Bring a Trailer but never won. Probably a better place to sell as bid prices are high especially for old Porsches, Toyota Landcruisers and Datsun Z cars.

They are selective on the cars they allow to be listed. I imagine some sales are not completed due to the cars not being as represented but you never hear those stories.

Sometimes you will see the same car for sale after it sold on BaT just a year or two before. Sometimes significant work has been done since the initial sale to fix a flaw that was not previously disclosed.

When dealing with people and old cars you have to assume some unexpected work will be needed.

quantico and Wake_jumper like this.

3. quantico

I am looking at 996 model porsche 911's. So IMS bearing , rear main oil seal , bore scoring , coolant oil mixing.. all possible issues.. so a ticking sound can be a 15 grand new engine problem easily. So its scary shopping for one without some actual mechanic time to look around.

4. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

5. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

I appreciate your tastes. I lust after a 944 myself.

But.....e-shopping for such cars just seems a bit.....well, you've already hit the concerns.

However...you'd have such risks with any vehicle you're buying essentially blind.

I have read that ebay motors is better for people being able to walk away in case the vehicle isn't as advertised.

Deanster likes this.
  6. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

My philosophy is that you can't beat the professional car buyers that seem to be online 24/7. If there is a deal to be had they buy it. This leaves the unknown to everyone else.

I've bought Porsche new and learned by talking to the service guys never to buy used unless it has some sort of warrantee or you know the car itself.

I don't miss the $198 oil changes and $2500 for tires every 10,000 miles.

People don't get theses cars to drive to church every Sunday.

Deanster likes this.
  7. OXMYX

OXMYX

My neighbor bought an online muscle car.

The truck came in to unload it but I could tell he was unhappy so he told the driver not to unload the truck.

The driver yelled at the neighbor for several minutes. I thought the driver was going to punch him out. I enjoyed the entertainment, the neighbor is a jerk.

8. quantico

Your right. No cheap deals. The boxsters are great values. But dont think I fit in one easily. So i am looking at the 996 porsche 911 and the 987 porsche cayman. The 2009 and later caymans have the new 9A1 engine with no Ims issues and seem to be a better and more reliable engine platform.

Most of these woes can be found with inspection and a good mechanic.

The other cars i like are bmw M3's like the E 46 and next gen with the V8. Problem with bmw stuff is electronics. And vanos and severe plastic problems in the cooling system along with bearing failures and transmission failures.

None of these are camrys

9. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I sold a restored 1928 Model A Ford on eBay. I gave a long honest description listing pros and cons. I posted a lot of detailed pictures including the cons I mentioned. I set a reserve at the least amount I would sell it for. Final bid was considerably over reserve. The buyer sent a deposit via PayPal and a certified check for the balance. He had a carrier pick it up three weeks later so the check had plenty of time to clear. At the time I was in Houston and the buyer in Florida. We communicated by email and I never heard back after the car was picked up.

I also sold a Harley on eBay. I didn’t think it would sell until a bidding war minutes before the auction ended. The buyer sent a PayPal deposit and showed up a few days later with a trailer and cash for the balance due.

BOOSTED12A likes this.
  10. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I bought two at auction in the last 5 years. Both in person. A Ford F150 pickup and a Ford E350 cargo van which I am converting into a camper van.

Both were very low miles (under 50K miles), and both were in impeccable condition. They were both government owned and had complete service records. The E350 is a diesel engine and had the known EGR valve problem. I bought it knowing this (and got it at a great price). I immediately put $5K into the engine having it bullet-proofed. Runs perfectly and should be good for 200K plus miles.

I would do it again. Hopefully I won't have to. My hope is the E350 will last me the rest of my driving lifetime.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020