Anyone build an external USB HD?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 45acp4me, Apr 6, 2005.

1. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

2. prism

prism more ammo

I bought a kit at walmart. $58. I know they shouldn't cost that much, but it was handy to buy there.

I put a new 80 gig HD in it, and use it every day. sometimes I will swap in one of my my older (smaller) hard drives, for backing up something.

it's a good way to get more use out of older harddrives, or add mega-storage without changing the primary box.

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

They are great to get a forensics image of a drive to work on.

DanH

4. NGWT

NGWT

They work great. I've had a USB/Firewire combo unit for a while. Slower than then regular IDE interface but acceptable.

As a matter of fact I'm using mine to build a Windows 2003 Cluster with the external drive and Firewire. Have the operating systems installed and next need to install the Firewire ports, the gigabit netcards and the new hard drive using the enclosure.

Should prove to be, um, interesting :)

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Everyone needs one of these. Seriously.

External HDD's are the best way to archive data. Period.

I use mine every day as well, and have been saved by it several times.

It also lets me put a client's user files in a handy place for safekeeping before an OS reinstall.

So I guess you could say that they come highly recommended...

6. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I have several that I use for backup.

7. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

I've used store bought ones before and hooked up several friends up with them, but I've never built one. Hopefully this case will work out well.

I did notice that there is quite a difference between some of the units, some get power from the PS2 port, others say right from USB which seems like a total strain on the system. This one is a externally powered unit so it whould not place an additioanl drag on the system.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Cheers!
    Glen

8. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

I've had mine for a while...

Works great, gets power from the usb...

I use it for patch storage when I go to clients sites. Download it once and copy of from there....

And there's really nothing to building them. put the drive on and two screws, slide it into the case...at least with mine...

9. Hemmingway

Hemmingway DUUUUUUDE!!

I have 2 external HDDs in similar enclosures that I built. The problem with the 2 units is that they do not talk well when both plugged in at the same time. There is a plugging in/unplugging sequence that I must follow every time I need them both to cooperate at the same time, but when used individually they are fine.

Both of the cases are externally powered which can be a hassle with my laptop, however you are right about the strain on the USB port. We are talking about drawing nearly an amp on both DC sides of the power supply. I don't think the USB standard can handle that-for long anyway.

10. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Well the drive is built and I'm backing files up right now. My PC is old so it's not USB 2.0 so I may pick up a card to upgrade it. Or I'll just wait a year and redo the whole system.

The enclosure feels kinda cheap, but it looks good and it has external power. XP saw it right away and I formatted it up with 32k blocks for a bit more speed.

Does anyone have a line on freeware software that checks for files changes and does auto backups? The software that comes bundled with the iomega units works great, but I forget the name of it.

Thanks!
    Glen

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

FWIW, I have seen quite a few major disasters caused by that type of software.

I eschew its use for any but the most superfluous of applications.

Just back up the files regularly and overwrite the old data folders with the new, updated ones once you have checked them for validity.

Good luck!

12. srhoades

srhoades