Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was running low and ordered some more a week or so back.

It looked different (pale).

It is very, very thin....water-like consistency vs the very thick stuff prior.

Pours out of the bottle like water...not in tablespoon-sized clumps.

I ran a batch of .223 using fresh media + the newer bottle of 290. It did not come out near as clean and bright looking as the batch of 9mm from prior 290.

It also doesn't have the lubricious feel on the cases as the prior 290 left on them.

Just wondering if anyone else had noticed the same.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
I make my own. A bottle of Nu-Finish car polish and the same amount of Mineral Spirits or 50/50. And put it in a dish soap squeeze bottle. Does the same and a lot less money.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I make my own. A bottle of Nu-Finish car polish and the same amount of Mineral Spirits or 50/50. And put it in a dish soap squeeze bottle. Does the same and a lot less money.

Thanks @unclebob

As always, you are mighty insightful and helpful. Much appreciated.

I'll certainly be giving this recipe a try.

I needed to grab some boiled linseed oil from the hardware store anyway....I'll get the mineral spirits then, too. Nu Finish is available just about anywhere.

Gonna give this recipe a go very soon. I'll let you know how it works out...of course, you already know it's gonna go well. :cheers:

Our plans are to move into a new place at some point in a few months. I want to have a sink plumbed in the garage. It'll be useful for all sorts of stuff.....but especially for setting up a wet tumbler using the Dawn & stainless pins.

Until then is media & the New Nu Finish deal. :2gun:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
In what kind of media do you use this? Would it work in the ground corn cob media and vibrator I use with Dillon polish? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I bought a bottle a while back, and noticed the same things you did.

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
In what kind of media do you use this? Would it work in the ground corn cob media and vibrator I use with Dillon polish? Thanks!
I use it in both media. I mix 50/50 corn cob and walnut. Just use the same as you would Dillon or any other off the shelf polish.
I also use the odor free mineral spirts. Some say the smelly one works better but I never could tell the difference.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
Thanks @unclebob

As always, you are mighty insightful and helpful. Much appreciated.

I'll certainly be giving this recipe a try.

I needed to grab some boiled linseed oil from the hardware store anyway....I'll get the mineral spirits then, too. Nu Finish is available just about anywhere.

Gonna give this recipe a go very soon. I'll let you know how it works out...of course, you already know it's gonna go well. :cheers:

Our plans are to move into a new place at some point in a few months. I want to have a sink plumbed in the garage. It'll be useful for all sorts of stuff.....but especially for setting up a wet tumbler using the Dawn & stainless pins.

Until then is media & the New Nu Finish deal. :2gun:
Instead of using Dawn soap. Use a car wash that contains wax. Also use a little Lime shine however it is spelled.

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use it in both media. I mix 50/50 corn cob and walnut. Just use the same as you would Dillon or any other off the shelf polish.
I also use the odor free mineral spirts. Some say the smelly one works better but I never could tell the difference.

Cool.

I'll make a pitstop tomorrow and pick some up.

Instead of using Dawn soap. Use a car wash that contains wax. Also use a little Lime shine however it is spelled.

Understood.

I do like the feel of the brass that comes out of the media tumbler. and have wondered how well the "squeaky clean" stuff would play with dies and such...even with some case lube sprayed on prior to use.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
The trouble with wet cleaning is now the cases are squeaky clean on the inside also.and can cause the case to stick on the powder funnel. So unless you stand your cases up and spray on the inside of the case also, you can get sticking. But using the soap with wax seems to help. Also the cases stay shiny longer.
I just put the cases in a gallon zip lock bag and spray the inside of the bag about 5 squirts shake then spray 5 more times a shake. Dump out and let them dry before adding them to the case feeder. I use my own mixture of a tube Lee sizing lube and a bottle of 99% alcohol. Pour about half of the alcohol in a spray bottle then add the lube to the alcohol bottle add a couple of bolt nuts and shake to mix. Then pour into the spray bottle. It also does not need to remove from the case when done loading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts