Anyone attend the Glock Instructor Workshop

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by luscioman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. luscioman

luscioman

I am going to attend the Glock Instructor Workshop this year. I was wondering if anyone has attended this in the past. If you have please let me know what you thought about it. In addition as an instructor what exactly does it qualify you to train? TIA

Linky
    http://www.glocktraining.com/files/IW_Course.pdf

2. 21 shooter

21 shooter

I took the class last year. Good class and picked up instructional techniques that I could use. Another good class is the Advanced Armorers course.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

It doesn't qualify you for anything. It enhances the skills you already have, exposes you to different teaching philosopies and drills, and gives you a chance to get information on the gun straight from the horses' mouth.

It was good training and development. If it rolled through my area, I'd go again.

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Some LE entities and certifying bodies will accept those 20hrs of training as being proof of continuing instructor training/development. For example, NRA LEAD will accept all of those hours as good towards your 24hrs of instructor development every three years. That, and a 1 day armorer's course usually satisfies all of their requirements.

There are also a smattering of smaller, more obscure entities here that will accept this as proof of continuing education as a condition for your employment as an instructor.

Don't build your instructor development off any single educational entity. Try to get as broad based learning as you can, and for whatever you teach, nothing beats actually doing it, but for certain, I know a BUNCH of guys who pulled their guns and discharged rounds in offense, defense or anger, but can't teach their way out of a parked car....

Good luck, and have fun. :)

'Drew

5. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

I took mine about 15 years ago. Don't know if things have changed, but at that time they required you to already be a certified instructor so they could focus exclusively on the Glock pistol without worrying about training you in the basic instructor skills. I liked the course a lot because of that, a very intense focus on learning how to use and how to train others to use the Glock pistol.

6. leo.instructor

leo.instructor

Took it last august, great program! It focuses on the Glock platform (obvious) and does give insight into the little quirks. There are drills that can be repeated with your own department and is 2 1/2 days well spent. If the instructor does not bring it up ask him to show you the alternate "shove and shoot".....my guys love this and it could save your life on duty or plainclothes off duty... Good luck, also I brought my full duty rig and my plainclothes concealment holster, bring a little extra ammo (course mandated 1000 rnds and I shot about 1200).....at the end of the program you do get a chance to shoot other models inc. the G18. let me know how you make out!

7. Rubicon46804

Rubicon46804 Glock Armorer

I just completed the "IW" on Friday. Instructor was Phil Goldsmith and he did an excellent job. We shot a total of 800 rds. Class was mainly L.E., except for myself and one other. We are both NRA instructors. The class was well worth the money. We also received a tour of Glock, including assembly. It was very interesting. At the end of our class, we took turns on the G18.

The Director of Training (Alan Ramsey) assured us all that Glock will have a 5.56 carbine at the 2011 Shot Show. Polymer lower, less than 5 lbs, and based on the M-4. Don't shoot the messenger!!!

8. Jake-Gallows

Jake-Gallows

Just finished up the Instructor Workshop yesterday (Friday, 05/08/10). I learned more from the workshop that I expected, but our instructor, Mark Doneburgh, had some great real world experience, and knew how to put that experience to use in the class.
    We shot about 900 rounds, and did lots of dry fire, and reloading exercises. Sure, if you are an instructor, you have probably done most of the drills you will do in the class, but Mark did a good job showing new ways to do them.
    I took the class at the Glock factory in Smyrna, but we didnt get to do the tour, but we did shoot the G18, and had some time to see other models if we wanted to.
    Oh, we were also told that the carbine would be out by next shot show. As said above it will be an M4 style with a polymer lower, etc.

9. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Its is a pistol class intended to teach instructors on how to transition people over from other sidearms to Glock. I enjoyed it. I took it in Medford Oregon about 7 years ago.
    Pat

10. newjack69

newjack69

I'm attending the Instructor Workshop/Armorers Course next week on Long Island in New York. This is my 6th armorers course but my first instructor workshop. I can't wait!!!

11. Guntrainer

Guntrainer

Took it a couple of weeks ago, and shot more than most folks have mentioned. Got to inspect and test the Gen IV G22. Nice gun, great trigger.

A lot of good tips, a good trainer, and will take it again the next time it is close to where I live.

12. deadhead

deadhead

I took it last year in South Florida. As others posted, the course offered insight into the Glock system. Additionally, as an instructor for my agency, I ironically don't get to shoot "on the clock" as much as I like. The course offered two and a half days of solid shooting time. We also had the opportunity to run the G18.

13. threefeathers

threefeathers Scouts Out

If Sam recommends it, I'll do at some time.