Anyone added positive traction to their vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Jun 16, 2020.

1. BSA70

BSA70

I have a 2 wd 4runner. Talked to a guy this weekend that has positive traction in his vehicle and would really like to go that direction. Anyone added it to their back axle and is it complicated?

thanks

2. pgg00

pgg00

You could always do a selective locker. It will make a difference

3. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    I put a drop in locker in the truck, floating axles, so all I did was slide the axle shafts out, didn't even raise it up. Goes in the place of the spider gears..................in and out in 2 hours. They didn't recommend them for every axle, but in my 10.25 inch, they said it would be fine.
    You can hear it clicking when I turn a corner...............not as good as a Detroit Locker, but easier to put in.
    Got it from Randy's Ring and Pinion, great place and they know their crap. They have changed their name since then.
    They got a Detroit Locker for me, to go in a Dana 61...................hardly anybody ever heard of them (only used them in Ford trucks for 2 years) Every other place didn't support them anymore.

BOOSTED12A and pgg00 like this.
  4. Toocool45

Toocool45

Why do you want to replace to "positive traction" ? What is the intended useage of the truck?

5. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

They make an air locker for Toyota... I had one many years ago in my SR5 truck

6. peng

peng

I had Positraction in my 1963 Pontiac Tempest.

I sold it years ago, heard a couple guys robbed a convenience store with it.

7. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

I just put a Eaton True-Trac in my '69 Pontiac GTO... I do it for a living so it was not tough.. For someone who does not work on diff's daily, or rarely, or ever.. There are for sure some "gotchas!" to watch out for. When you order your new carrier-be sure and specify that you need carrier bearings and races to go with the new carrier. *Most*, but not all, carriers are sold sans bearings... Not a good idea to try and pull and reuse your old carrier bearings. Very likely you will destroy them trying to get them off the old carrier (unless you have special tools $$$$$$). Then, you must measure your current back lash between the ring and pinion gear.. In order to get an accurate measurement, BOTH gears must be free of gear oil. Just use several cans of brake cleaner spraying both gears as you rotate them around. Use a rag to pull the old gear oil and brake cleaner out of the bottom of the diff housing. Once the gears are clean, and oil free, you will need to use a dial gauge to take a reading of the current back-lash. The reason you do this is because you want to put the new carrier in with the exact same back-lash.. Otherwise, if you get the back-lash wrong, the gears could begin whining, or making noise, necessitating gear replacement. Also order carrier shim adjustment pack (if your vehicle uses them). Some vehicles have threaded adjusters in one, or both, sides of the housing that replace the shims. If yours uses shims, you will need a selective shim kit to get the back-lash back to where it was...Unless you are SUPER LUCKY and your factory shims put you back where you need to be with the new carrier. If you are that far in... It would make sense to remove the pinion gear, and replace the pinion seal. You will then need a new crush sleeve (again, if your vehicle needs it. Some use solid pinion spacers). As you can tell... It may take more skill or knowledge, than you possess if you have not done many of these. You can always check out Youtube videos, or just ask people who have worked on similar vehicles to yours in the past. I'll answer any questions that you may have if I trip across this post in the future with new questions.

You know now that I think about it.. Your Toy may have a removable center section, otherwise known as a third member... Not necessarily harder, but there are some things that may make it more difficult for a novice. If it has a 3rd member, it will use threaded adjusters on each side to aid in setting up back-lash. The good news is if it has a removable 3rd member, you can do much, or most, of this on a bench out from under the vehicle.

byf43 and pgg00 like this.
  8. Toocool45

Toocool45

9. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

The simplest one are the rachet style lockers. They can be noisey with the clicking and if you have a stick it bangs sometimes too. I had on in my Volvo for a few years. Never had a problem with it other than the banging in and out of lock sometimes since it was a stick

10. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

11. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

Seems to defeat the purpose of buying a 4runner....

12. Sprinkler Fitter

Sprinkler Fitter

I didn't know they made them in 2wd.

G30SF/F-250 and Ordell Robbie like this.
  13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    A controllable locker would be much preferable.

Though I don’t think I’d waste the time on your particular rig. It will never be overly off-road capable even with a truly locked rear end, and it isn’t a tire roasting muscle car.

HarlDane likes this.
  14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

look for Tacoma’s, some 4wd and most Pre-Runner models have an electric locker
    Buy an entire rear end from a salvage yard

G23gen4fde, byf43 and railfancwb like this.
  15. railfancwb

railfancwb

If the replacement rear end gear ratio is different from the old ratio, figure on replacing the speedometer gear as well.

16. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    I've got an air locker, when I bought a G2 axle for a wrangler, they gave you a choice of several brands, I went with the air locker, since it was the front axle.........................can't really give it a testimonial....................as it is still in progress.
    Haven't ever had occasion to use the air lockers in the Rubicon yet.

I am still a fan of Detroit Lockers, they are tough, pretty smooth compared to my EZ Locker. I never felt the DL ratchet too many times when I had it.

17. dkf

dkf

A Detroit Truetrac is a good streetable differential that still keeps both wheels in traction. If you have to ask how difficult the install is then you are best to pay someone with experience to install it for you.

byf43 likes this.
  18. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

It also had independent tear suspension IIRC.

19. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

The Pontiac was the one that didn't have posi traction or independent rear end

20. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Unless you get the parts from a wrecking yard it's not gonna be worth the cost for what you are going to do with it