Anyone actually "found" a gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Valmet, Nov 17, 2019.

1. spork

spork Caffeinator

After my father died, I looked around his home and found quite a few firearms that I never knew he had. He was keen on hiding them in really odd spots. I have to admit, it was the most fun I ever had doing a scavenger hunt.

porschedog, glock1097, ILeft and 6 others like this.
  2. azdave

azdave

Never found a complete gun, but a nice collection of gun "parts"..... all from the 1800's! I have found the breechblock & buttplate to a 1885 Winchester Hi-wall, the action to a 1874 Sharps rifle..... Here is my favorite:
    This particular piece (or pieces) I found about a year ago at a mine that was located in the early 1880's, and worked only a few years... it's definitely remote and long forgotten.
    It is the cylinder to a cap-and-ball revolver, 36 caliber, that was "blown" in half. I suspect it was what is called a "chain-fire" incident, whereas the shooter does a messy job when loading the chambers, and when the trigger is pulled it ignites multiple chambers in the cylinder, causing a "catastrophic failure." Or a severe overcharge of one chamber that ignites an adjacent chamber.
    Although the crappy pics don't show it well, it is obvious that one chamber blew out the cylinder wall, and the chamber next to it ignited, with the ball slamming into the frame and severely "denting" the cylinder face. 3 nipples were blown out as well.
    How would you like to have that happen in your hand?? The pieces were about 20 yards apart... one about 6 inches deep, the other on the surface. No other parts of the pistol were ever found... and I've hit it hard expecting some to come up. This area was littered with WRA 44wcf (44-40) casings and several FA 45-70 casings with mid-80's dates, so it was definitely their little "shooting spot."
    IMG_20190325_192632132 (1).jpg IMG_20190325_192641235(2).jpg IMG_20190325_192649592(3).jpg IMG_20190325_192700444(4).jpg

00blkgt, glock1097, pgg00 and 4 others like this.

3. e150gt

e150gt

Almost. I bought a car from a guy who I know had guns. Before he left I said any guns i find I keep. He said oh crap. Pulled an AR15 from the trunk

porschedog, glock1097, ILeft and 2 others like this.
  4. MD357

MD357

Nope, found a huge bag of weed and then 7K in bills on seperate occasions, but no guns. Would love to find a Thompson. :D

lazarus66, glock1097, cbetts1 and 2 others like this.
  5. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

In the early 70s, I was helping my brother in law clean out a rather beat roll top desk he had gotten for cheap at an estate sale.

In one of the smaller drawers, among old papers and general office trash, was a 1900 model Browning pistol, .32 acp. Very cool! Good shape too, just a tad of rust in a couple of places on the slide.

We ran to the local small town hardware store, bought 50 rounds of ammo, then shot it up.

He's been gone from my life for many years, don't know what happened to the old Browning.

Gaston_Convert, glock1097 and mj9mm like this.
  6. Parzival

Parzival

i do a lot of scuba diving and find large collections of guns that appear to have been lost in tragic boating accidents.

7. WABOOM

WABOOM

My grandpa found a S&W 32 revolver sitting on a top plate of a wall in the pole barn when he bought a house.

8. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Yep...I am missing a set of spare car keys...old age...ain't for sissies!

9. First shot

First shot

No I haven’t...but I’ve witnessed a few disappearing that may be found in poured concrete a long time from now...

glock1097 likes this.
  10. Jbritt

Jbritt

I never “found” a gun but I once found a Aimpoint in my safe that I had completely forgotten about. Like almost 10 years forgotten about.

11. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

When I bought my house, the owner who did most of the construction told me that he thought he may have left a 30-30 hidden under the insulation in the attic. I itched from fiberglass for weeks and all I found was bad wiring and mouse poop.

12. stavey

stavey

When I was 10 I was riding my BMI bike past a family friends house. He had just lost his son (15) and girlfriend in a car accident. He was all doped up on I don’t even know what. Bottom line he invited me in and then started calling me his decease sons name and crying . Next thing I know he comes out of his back room with a single shot 20 gauge. Hands it to me and tells me to take it “because it was mine.” I promptly got the hell out of there . I rode my bike home about 4 blocks with a single shot 20 gauge over my shoulder. In broad daylight and no one said a thing. My parents were shocked to say the least . I’m 40 so that was 30 years ago but I’ll never forget it.

13. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

It'll be in the last place you look ..... :outtahere:

robert_conley_t and FullClip like this.
  14. flyover

flyover

Many years ago I found a CO2 powered Crosman pellet revolver and some 30-06 ammo. I turned it in to the Sheriffs Office. They gave the revolver to me but kept the ammo. :fist:

glock1097 and FullClip like this.
  15. ede

ede

I forgot about this. In 1967 was at Camp Perry for small bore matches and went to the range after the days shooting had ended. Found a 22 Prone rifle and an aluminum case with a high end camera and lens. Guy came back for camera before we left. I turned the rifle in the next morning to the command tower near where I found it. Guy announced it over the PA and the owner claimed it.

16. Bluescot

Bluescot

I found a dope pipe and a small stash that someone dropped at a shooting area out in the desert a couple of years ago. I just broke the pipe and smashed the stash up. Made me wonder about that area either being an area of drug sales/transfers OR are there crazies out there smoking dope and shooting guns?

Also found a single shot .410 shotgun in an old duck blind on public property many years ago leaning up against a back corner. Can't remember what I did or what happened to that shotgun. I think it was an old JC Higgins ???

17. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

Found a Remington Nylon 66 in the closet of a vacant apartment once..
    Sweet Shooter Too!!

jimcorbin, Joshhtn, mj9mm and 4 others like this.
  18. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

Was with my dad and my brother when my brother took his dog to the side of the parking lot. Came back with a Remington Single shot 22==no bolt. We tried to find one with no luck. Dad turned it in to the cops.

Glock 17L likes this.
  19. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

My dad found a Remington Model 12 .22 pump in a barn. Its barrel was bent. A 'smith friend had a barrel and fitted it to the receiver. The rifle was made between 1912 and 1915 and eats .22 Short, Long or Long Rifle. It's a fun, quick and accurate plinker.

porschedog, Joshhtn, mj9mm and 2 others like this.
  20. RJHUB

RJHUB

When I was a teenager a friend of mines dad was a State trooper. Another neighbors kid found a bag with guns on the side of the road walking home and brought to him. All I remember is one of them was a Browning Hi power and it was awesome. Turns out they were stolen from hardware store the night before. Always wanted one since.

glock1097, Glock 17L, 1L26 and 3 others like this.