Anyone a member of your state's Defense Force.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DScottHewitt, Feb 10, 2010.

1. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I mean, I know Existenz is in Alaska. Anyone else?

2. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Until recently I had never heard of such an organization. Now I know Indiana has one as well as California!!

3. ssfeldjager

ssfeldjager

State Defence Force = Wanna-bees. :rofl:

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I started reading a little about it the night Ex posted pics of a gun on top of his BDUs or something. Posted a pic with the uniform in it.

Like 38 states or so have them, I think. A lot of them. Virginia is even one of the dozen or so that have a Riverine Unit, although the sub website for it is blank. i guess our Riverine Unit is not active at present.

And I trailed off. I meant to ask what kind of experience the ones in theirs have had. What training is involved, stuff like that.

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Thank you so much for valuable input and attack on people serving their community.

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

The sub is merely submerged.

:drowning:

7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

What is a state defense force?
    What is a state milita?
    What is a state national guard?
    What are the reserves?
    Auxiliaries?
    Are these all the same, or are there differences?

:headscratch:

8. Reagan40

Reagan40

Many of them in my state are Retired US Military. After a life of service, they decided to continue on, for FREE. Now go back to class so you don't get detention. It would suck if they did not let you go to the home coming dance this year.:tongueout:

9. fgutie35

fgutie35

That sounds like something I would like to be part of on my home state of Texas. Is it a requesite for you to be ex-military?

10. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

See my post above in response to Chute. Looks like the main thing is a desire to serve your community and state in a regulated organization.

11. vafish

vafish

I was a member of the Virginia Defense Force about 20 years ago. Did it for about 3 years. Was a company commander in Manassas.

I had previously served in the US Army so I received a commission into the VADF.

I just got tired of the BS after a while, we never trained with weapons (although were continuously promised that it was coming soon. and 20 years later the VADF is still unarmed), at one time we did some riot control training with the National Guard, but then my 1st Sgt broke his leg when the training got a little to rough so that was canceled. It got to the point where the only thing we did besides some stupid classroom training was help park cars at some horse races in Orange County and direct traffic at the Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester.

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Well, that kind of discourages me from learning more.

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

But that is what I am looking for. Actual experiences from people who have done it.

13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Its the truth from what I've seen of the SDF's I've worked with.

I understand the reasons some people would want to volunteer for the SDF. But having seen them in action, I'd never be part of one.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Not real sure, kind of an organized militia, I guess, but not really military and I'm not sure if they actually have weapons.
    ]
    Can be a state force that is called up in an emergency but has no regular existence, although I don't know of a state making use of them in recent times. It can also be a privtaely organized group of wannabes who get to gether to pretend to be soldiers, revolutionaries, SHTF special forces, whatever.
    The is no "state national guard" The National Guard is a reserve component of the U.S. Army and Air Force that contains mainly combat arms troops (in the case of the Army) and has done a very large portion of the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, including commanding the Acrtive//Reserve/Guard forces in major commands. They can also be called upon under the aiuthroity of the governor of a state in a state emergency.
    A component of the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines that trains on a part-tiume basis until mobilized and/or deployed on a full-time basis.
    Auxiliary, as I use it, usually refers to part-time and/or volunteer police offficers.

15. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

How do I find out if my state(AR.) has such an organization ?

16. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

17. deadday

deadday

fixed that for you...in response to the OP, I plan on becoming a member of the Texas State Guard once I'm done with nursing school..

18. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

They have something like the Texas State Guard that supposed to replace the National Guard incase of an emergency if they got deployed. That’s about all I know. :dunno:
    http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Thanks for that link. This is why GT is the best place on the internet. From that link, there are links to each State's forces.

What I learned:
    -- There is a NY Guard. Apparently well organized and with a long history of service to the state.
    -- The NY Guard, and other "state defense forces" cannot be nationalized.
    -- The NY Guard is separate from the NY National Guard, and therefore cannot be sent off to foriegn wars (unless the NY governor sends them someplace).