anybody with aftermarket rims and tire monitoring system?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by crushproof, Feb 21, 2010.

1. crushproof

crushproof

my friend said he'll give me the aftermarket rims and tires he has sitting in his garage if i help with painting the inside and outside of his house. the rims are 17 inch and black and i think they would look real nice on my car, but i have a tire monitoring system on my civic. if i put these rims on would my tire monitoring light stay on?

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

why would they trip the light?

3. crushproof

crushproof

i'm not sure they would, but doesn't tire monitoring have sensors in the tires.. my theory is the light may come on if i put new tires and rims without the sensors

4. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Painting sucks a huge nugget. Those had better be some sweet rims

MF

5. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

have you ever put a spare on?

i would think they might have a sensor inside the rim (most systems are like this), you could likely mount them on a new rim but you would have to pull the tires off first.

some systems just use a different kind of valve stem.

6. crushproof

crushproof

lol yes painting does suck especially a whole house but i imagine those rims and tires he has prolly cost him near a thousand dollars.. so i don't mind doing it, but not if i'm gonna have a tire light on in my car all the time

quote=Scared_of_zombies;14805240]have you ever put a spare on?

i would think they might have a sensor inside the rim (most systems are like this), you could likely mount them on a new rim but you would have to pull the tires off first.

some systems just use a different kind of valve stem.[/quote]
    i wonder if i could use the sensors from the tires i have on now? but the tires i have now are 16 inch the ones i'm getting are 17 i dunno if the sensors are for just 16's

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  7. zukyota

zukyota

Yes it would trip the light. The tire pressure sensor in your tires are part of the valve stem, you may be able to swap them onto the aftermarket rims if not you can buy them to put on the rims.

8. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

What's the big deal if the light is on? My winter wheels/tires don't have sensors, not a big deal to have the light on.

9. crushproof

crushproof

ok i see. i hope i can switch them then i don't wanna have to buy 4 sensors i know they aren't cheap

@harlenm
    i know it's not a big deal but it would bug the hell out of me seeing the tpms light on all the time on my dash

10. cagnoli

cagnoli Patriot First

You can have sensors put in the rims. No big deal. I have two sets for my truck. Otherwise, your TPMS light WILL be on the entirety of those tires living on the car. And, depending on what state you live in, you could fail an inspection.

If you are getting the tires and wheels for free....spend the 90 bucks and get the TPMS sensors installed. Do it right.

11. harlenm

So put a piece of black electrical tape over it so you don't see the light.

12. harlenm

If you are required to not have the light on at inspection, put the stock rims on for the inspection, then switch them back.

And the sensors for my car were $50 each.

13. Cameronswmp9

Cameronswmp9

The way most sensors mount will have an effect on the wheel itself (seen on aftermarket wheels, OE wheels are usually the same all the way around the bead from what I have seen), it will have a bevel for the sensor to sit. If it doesnt have the bevel, the sensor may not seal and will have your light on anyway.

Either way, sounds like you will need to dismount the tire to see how its set up. It wouldnt be a big deal to have the light on, just an annoyance issue.

I am not sure if your state has state inspections. If they do, the TPMS light may be an inspection issue, check your local laws.

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

I was at Discount Tire and the customer in front of me wanted to buy a tire/wheel package - he had a TPMS in his car.

I could not help but overhear the conversation -

they said they would try and put the sensors from his OEM wheels on the new wheels - if it did not work they could install new sensors in the after market wheels and program them to work with his vehicle -

The cost of swapping out the sensors was $10 per wheel for some kit - that included new gaskets & hardware - which would not be bad -

I can't recall the cost of complete new sensors but remember thinking WOW that's a lot.

15. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I switch between summer wheels and winter wheels with season. I deal with the light as the dealership wants $30.00 to 'reset' the sensor each time. :upeyes:

16. harlenm

I don't have to reset anything, just drive around normally for 20 minutes.

17. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I'm about 4,000 miles into my switch to winter rims and the light is still on. No big deal. I can live with the light. I think this is a gimmick by the dealership to make some extra money during routine tire rotations. Nobody sells the tool so you can do it yourself...yet (at least I haven't found it available for my car.)

18. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

:needspics:

Plannin' to get a civic myself. :supergrin:

19. JMS

JMS 02

A lot of the Tundra/Sequoia guys remove the sensors from the wheels and put it in a pressurized pvc tube so they can switch back and forth without worrying about the sensors. The computer reads the correct pressure from all 4 sensors, irrelevant of where they truly are.

20. handyman

handyman

Do to missing sensors. Get new ones have installed but they need to be programed.