Anybody using AA#5 in 45 with 185 Nosler HP?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SmokelessPowder, Jan 20, 2017.

1. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder Consummate Reloader

I have quite a few Nosler 185 HP competition bullets that I bought years ago and never used because my powder availability was barack'd. Now that things are back to normal I tried in a G41 some AA#5 as recommended by the Nosler reloading manual. Their starting load was way too hot for a target load so I started dropping the charge and found 7.4 grains to be very accurate. I haven't done a full ladder yet and before I bother I want to see if plain old bullseye isn't just as good. I'm wondering if anybody else has played around with this combination and if it's any better than BE? I've already tried Clays and WST and I'm not very impressed. I'm not going to buy any Vhit powders so please don't tell me about how good they are.

2. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry....

I'm too new at this to give you a comprehensive answer. But I just loaded some 185gr JHP with 5.5gr of Bullseye and I found them, let's say, unpleasant to shoot. More like a +P (or more) and while I think it might make a good SD-type round, I'm gonna drop the charge a bit for future use.

3. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder Consummate Reloader

The old rule of thumb is that 5 grains of Bullseye is "correct" for any bullet in 45 ACP. I think that is to get you around 820 fps which is Hatcher's ideal velocity. I was planning on starting with 4 grains of BE for the target load and I think that is another one of those magical numbers that works with most bullets in 45 ACP for target loads.

4. noylj

noylj

AA5 isn't used a lot by Bullseye (NRA Precision Pistol) shooters, but those that do start at about 6.8 and end at about 7.5gn AA5 and any 185gn JHP.
    AA2 is more common, at 4.1-5.0gn.
    Bullseye is, of course, the most popular powder and is used from 3.5 to 5.0, but most use 4.5gn.
    I find Clays is not the most accurate, and when it is accurate, it is accurate over +/- 0.1gn. Bullseye shooters use it at 3.7-4.0gn.
    Red Dot is one of my favorite powders for .45 Auto, with 4.2gn being my favorite for 185gn JHPs.
    Unique can do great at 5.5gn or 6.0gn.
    WST has been of very limited usefulness, but 4.4gn is worth trying.