close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody use GLOCK Factory Sights?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by RomanCatholic, Jun 25, 2006.

1. RomanCatholic

RomanCatholic Catholic

Does anybody use the GLOCK factory steel sights?

2. Sikhed

Sikhed cat-herder

Well, 2 of my Glocks have the factory tritium ones on them, those are steel.

The other 2 had the plastic ones, but not any more (1 has Ameriglo operators, other has Trijicons) The Glock plastic ones really suck. The G19's lasted for about a year, then the front sight started spinning. The 17L's rear (adjustable) sight broke within a week + the front one got loose in a hurry. Rather than send it back to Glock for a new set (that'll last 6 months maybe) I just put in the Ameriglos.

If you're thinking about replacing your plastic ones...DO

3. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Front: Glock Night Sight
    Rear: AmeriGlo Operator

4. eringobragh

eringobragh

I use the factory STEEL sights on all six of my GLOCKS, and absolutely love them! I think it is the fastest sight picture I've ever seen/used...I work in a gun store, therefore get to handle virtually every handgun on the market, and IN MY OPINION the "dot in the basket" reigns supreme (SIG's "dot the stick" is right there with it!). I shoot a lot of IDPA (3 to 4 matches a month), and this system works extremely well for me. Hardcore target sights they are not, but for the weapons intended purpose they're awesome. As far as night sights are concerned (I'm sure I'll take a beating here!), I think they're rubbish...I'm in the camp that if it's so dark that you need to illuminate your sights, then you're surely going to have to illuminate your target...practice with and carry a tactical light!

5. RomanCatholic

RomanCatholic Catholic

I'm thinking of the GLOCK Steel sights, not the plastic ones.

6. bunchok

bunchok

I have a Glock steel rear with an Ameriglo tritium front. I agree with what eringobragh stated above. Excellent sight picture.
    I had not planned to go with the steel sight at first, but after bumping the plastic rear on the corner of my pistol safe and taking a small chunk off it the decision was made for me.

7. Demarest

Demarest

700 rounds and counting. My Glock is bottom of the barrel in terms of upgrades. Factory sights and I shoot fine.

RamGlock and srjdsmith like this.
  8. GlockPI

GlockPI

Does anyone have a link on where to buy steel Glock sights?

9. RomanCatholic

RomanCatholic Catholic

http://www.glockparts.com

10. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I don't care for the front sight being "staked", myself. I also like a wider rear sight. Sig sights are perfect in this regard.

11. MADISON

MADISON Millennium Member

My 1990 Glock 21 came with the Polimer 2 sights. The $70+ for a set of steel sights were not available then. The only change I made was to go from a 6.9 to a 7.3 rear sight. I got a complete set of Polimer 2 sights for $11 + $5 shipping [$16]. It's a choice. If the front sight "falls off" I may change over partually to steel.

12. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

13. eringobragh

eringobragh

There are TWO styles available...the "staked" and the "hex head nut"...the latter of which I have on all six of my GLOCK pistols. Something I did not mention which I like...the steel factory GLOCK front sight has a much larger "dot" than the plastic style.

14. JonInWA

JonInWA

I use the Glock steel rear and the Trijicon steel front (non-tritium, hex-nut secured, available from Glock, and it looks exactly like the polymer front) on both my G17 and G21. As quick acquisition sights I think that they're excellent. These sights are available from Glock directly, for $10.00 each-a bargain, IMHO.

srjdsmith likes this.
  15. RomanCatholic

RomanCatholic Catholic

16. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Good to know! :thumbsup: :beer:

17. gary newport

gary newport

Exactly! I have factory steel front and rear on a G37 and a G17, and factory steel rear and Mepro front on a G26 (that combination didn't work on my G38 as the Mepro front is a bit taller than the factory standard). The front dot of the steel sight is larger than on the plastic version and picks up a LOT of ambient light. The rear notch is also a bit deeper than the plastic version; this also may help in sight acquisition. I really like the sight picture provided by ball-in-a-box steel Glock sights for rapid sight acquisition. That big white dot has a little bump on it that almost looks like a convex lens (probably isn't) and shows up even in fairly low light.

I won't buy stake-on front sights. All of mine attach by screw. Incidentally, one uninstalled front I got from GlockParts is plainly marked "Trijicon" (it is NOT a night sight). I believe Glock may be manufacturing only stake-on steel fronts now, but there are aftermarket makers producing standard-height fronts which can be used with the factory rears.

One thing though, Erin. Night sights are for when it is too dark to see your SIGHTS, not your target.

18. RomanCatholic

RomanCatholic Catholic

What are the advantages to night sights?

19. gary newport

gary newport

Night sights are visible under low-light conditions when even white dot/outline sights are not.

20. RomanCatholic

RomanCatholic Catholic

I've always shot better with the factory GLOCK sights, not sure why.