Anybody use a CPAP machine?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BIGJC, May 31, 2020.

1. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

So buy one off of Craigslist. You will save a ton of money. Modern machines will self adjust themselves to you.

Life insurance is also pretty much impossible after you get a CPAP too. I have a couple of reasons why I can't buy life insurance, first reason was the CPAP and I bought my first one in my early 40's.

2. Highspeed93

Highspeed93

The VA gave me one of those even though on paper I seem like the least likely candidate for sleep apnea, I am young (under 30), non smoker, thin and in very good health. I can not stand that machine it is very uncomfortable, I have used it maybe 2 or 3 times and I still do not like it. According to my doctor my sleep apnea is severe. The machine is circulating the air very powerfully and loudly, which is part of why I do not like it as the force of that air supply is disruptive.

Is it normal for one to take off his mask (nose piece kind) whilst sleeping? I think I do this while I am asleep.

3. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

How about these negatives for the CPAP? It forces the air strongly and loudly to the point of being disruptive. Are these characteristics that just have to be adjusted to? Or, might the problem be with the particular device being used by Highspeed?

4. Tommy Gunz

Tommy Gunz

Wrong settings and/or mask, plus your machine is probably older. Have you ever changed the filters? Contact your dealer, he will solve your problem. We as medical people seek positive outcomes, not failures. You clearly have sleep issues and ignoring them could be deadly to you.

BIGJC and PhotoFeller like this.
  5. racerford

racerford

I have not found that to be true. When you get your health certificate renewed doctor will want a report or note from doctor showing compliance in wearing it.in Texas need to have shown 4 hours a night for at least 90% of the prior 30 days from the report. The alternative is potentially falling asleep at the wheel and killing someone. I hear it is hard to maintain your CDL after that. I have a school bus endorsement, have to renew my health certificate every year.

Folsom_Prison likes this.
  6. sas-G19

sas-G19

HS:
    You need to try a Bi-Pap machine with the proper pressures and use a mask that is properly fitted. Life changing.

Highspeed93 likes this.
  7. jp 19

jp 19

name a few the ones i have seen you have to do the mask and machine separately... i will keep my so clean they are like the innovator that every one copies:D

8. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

9. dmkellerman

dmkellerman

you can also get a heated hose.

10. Highspeed93

Highspeed93

Thanks, I wonder how long it will take the VA to manage to get a Bi-Pap for me, it took those lazy useless bastards a year just to get this other POS CPAP machine.

11. PatinAz

PatinAz

I just had surgery yesterday to correct a septum and open my airways. I currently have stints in my nose. My ENT recommended I do this 3-4 years ago but I put it off. I finally did a home sleep study to find my 02 levels dropped considerably and I stopped breathing over a dozen times.

I hope this surgery helps, and I am totally willing to go CPAP if needed. I'm so tired of being tired all the time.

12. MaxB

MaxB

I had the surgery you speak of many years ago, they also removed my uvula. The tech that did my sleep study said that in his 15 years of sleep testing he rarely saw that surgery being useful, usually a waste of time, money and pain. I would skip it and go straight to the CPAP if I had it to do over. I thought the surgery would be worth it to save me from a CPAP, no luck there. I was snoring like a bear again within two months of the surgery.

13. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

I asked my dentist about some of those procedures and he advised against it. Painful healing period and frequently not successful. My dentist suffers from OSA and uses a CPAP machine. He could have the surgery performed for free but he is not willing to take the chance. He did say that it works for some and if I were younger I might give it a go.

MaxB likes this.
  14. BIGJC

BIGJC

This.
    I use a resmed machine that I have had for less than a year and I can't hear it all.

Tommy Gunz likes this.
  15. PAUL ANTONY

PAUL ANTONY

I
    I had that same UPPP surgery in 1995, it worked for 2 months. Didn't help one bit.
    CPAP was the only thing that is currently working. Saved my life.

dmkellerman and MaxB like this.
  16. Otto Pistol

Otto Pistol

I was able to get insurance several years ago. My sleep doctor says when I am on the CPAP, I do not have sleep apnea (maybe 1-2 “events per hour, instead of 17 without the machine).
    If yours is helping you, maybe a letter from your doctor about compliance/success might help.

17. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

I was having an implant put in and the oral surgeon/dentist told me I stopped breathing 5 times while out for 1/2 hour. He gave me a sleep test and said I had pretty severe apnea. Went to an Eye, ear, nose & throat=he prescribed it and the supplier refused to fill the prescription because Medicare wouldn't pay for it unless I did a sleep test BEFORE the prescription was written (By the Dr who prescribed it), so I had to wait and do another test (150+), get a new prescription and go back! Six months! Then they told me I didn't have the right Medicare (Type B)! I told them I had BC/BS and never intended for it to be billed to Medicare. Told the girl to her face she and her staff were "F'ng" incompetent!. Then every time I tried to reorder supplies, I had to listen to a spiel about timeshares in Bermuda.

Gave up! Still use my CPAP and my wife gets supplies for her machine which she cannot use.

Overall=CPAP is great!

18. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I’ve been using one for a year now. I did a sleep study and got the machine. I lost 46 pounds thinking it might fix my sleep apnea. I paid out of pocket to do a second sleep study. Even with a “normal” BMI I still had apnea. I sleep longer and with less interruption now. I have more energy and am not sleepy all the time. Before the machine if left alone in daytime for a few minutes I would nod off. That doesn’t happy anymore.

19. PatinAz

PatinAz

My septum was deviated so the surgery was necessary to correct that.

20. MaxB

MaxB

Same story, but my septum was still deviated after the surgery. The ENT took a bunch of stuff out of my nose, can bend it to almost touch my face either direction, but still deviated with one nostril being almost closed off just as it was prior to surgery. I really wanted to kick the surgeon where it would hurt most.