Anybody use a CPAP machine?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BIGJC, May 31, 2020.

1. Bud0505

Bud0505

Can you recommend a couple of models?

Tommy Gunz likes this.
  2. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Same here, clocked 175 stoppages.
    Used CPAP for about 20 years. Wore out two machines.
    Now, I've lost 121 lbs (as of this morning). Stopped using the machine about 6 months ago. No longer need it.

BigBull 301 and PhotoFeller like this.

3. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

My wife has been recommending CPAP for me for years because of my snoring/gasping for air, but I have resisted because I sleep most comfortably on my side or stomach. Committing to CPAP would mean adjusting to sleeping on my back, which would be a big change.

Have any of you made the adjustment to sleeping on your back after a lifetime of being a stomach/side sleeper?

4. Bud0505

Bud0505

I have no problem sleeping on my side. I start out on my right side but eventually end up on my back. Before the CPAP I always slept on my stomach. Been using CPAP for close 20 plus years.

5. Tommy Gunz

Tommy Gunz

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    hnp684 likes this.
  6. Jcmg27

Jcmg27

It is worth the trouble. I have a cdl and have had a the machine for about 5 years. It is not that big a deal with the DOT. Put the app on your phone, download the newest report the day you go to the dr and you won’t have any issues as long as you use it. It will make a world of difference in how you feel.

Folsom_Prison likes this.
  7. MCCM

MCCM

I've had mine for almost a year now. It has changed my life for the better. Allergies, a hit to the nose in my early 20's and a Septoplasty has done a number on me. But this machine saved my life. BP is much lower. Now, if I can control allergies then I'd really be breather and sleeping well!

8. RenoF250

RenoF250

I sleep on my side and stomach with a CPAP, that is not a restriction. You just need the right mask.

Bud0505 likes this.
  9. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Only take this as a data point. My daughter in law's hospital tested several ozone and germicidal light CPAP gear cleaners. After that they bought a bunch of the SoClean+ machines.

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Negative. I use a CPAP and sleep on one side or the other 95% of the time.

hnp684 likes this.
  11. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Check your cpap machine warranty before using So-Clean.

12. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

The big 2 - Philips and Resmed have more or less said that if they can show an O3 generator causes a part failure they will not honor a machine warranty.

Philips has denied 0 warranty claims due to O3 generator issues.
    ResMed has denied fewer than 10 warranty claims as best I can tell.

13. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

I'll just get a new prescription and Medicare will pay for another one. :fred:

14. BIGJC

BIGJC

I sleep on my side with no problem. According to my cardiologist, If you're snoring and gasping for air, you are placing a heavy toll on your heart. I resisted using a CPAP for a couple of years. Now I wish I had done it sooner.

PhotoFeller and hnp684 like this.
  15. MaxB

MaxB

Same. I've always slept on my side and the CPAP didn't require a change. I snored like a bear all my life, all the way back to college, before the CPAP.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  16. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

I was diagnosed in 2015. Junior year of college. I felt like the weird kid when everyone came to my apartment and asked what it was. I hardly wore it right away and was told to either return it or start abiding to insurances rules on use. Hated it at first. Now even when I take a nap, I put it on my face. I’ve tweaked some of the settings to my preference and I’ve never slept better. My other half loves the fact that I have it too because she can sleep now without listening to me sleep like a drunken idiot.

My sleep apnea was severe. I slept in the sleep study and it was found I stopped breathing on average for 28 seconds each minute. Doc said one of the more severe cases he had seen. Doesn’t help that I’m on the heavy side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

This is the kit I bought.

https://www.batteryspace.com/Custom...ck-12.8V-6.6Ah-84Wh.-14A-rate-Fast-Smart.aspx

I used this cable to connect the battery to the CPAP.

https://www.directhomemedical.com/1001956-dc-power-cord-cpap.html

I hate those cigarette lighter plugs so I ended up replacing them with SAE connectors. If I was doing it again, I would use these plugs instead. Easier to install than an SAE connector.

https://www.amazon.com/XT60-Drone-C...ng-20&linkId=cf584ad5c20a5090cdd502fb61d049a9

18. Haldor

F.Y.I.

You can order the battery with different connectors (they didn't have this option when I bought mine 10 years ago).

https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-26650-battery-12-8v-6-6ah-84wh-14a-rate.aspx

Here is the mating connector cable for the TrailTech Coaxis version:

https://www.batteryspace.com/connec...malecoaxislockableconnectorwith4coilcord.aspx

I use a Battery Tender Lithium Junior to charge mine. I modified everything I have to use SAE connectors so the charger plugs into the battery, the battery plugs into the CPAP, the battery plugs into my motorcycle (for charging or jump starting).

https://www.amazon.com/battery-tender-022-0198li-lithium-charger/dp/b00n5ubqhs

I think it is probably easier to use the XT60 connectors. You can just solder them right onto the end of a wire which is a lot easier than having to splice SAE pigtails on like I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Finware-Upgraded-Version-Connectors-Battery/dp/B07PB399PL/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2H2WTXNA0LLDK&dchild=1&keywords=xt60+connectors&qid=1591068089&s=toys-and-games&sprefix=xt60+,toys-and-games,219&sr=1-4

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Thank you a lot. Knowing you have and expert's eye for all things electric.....I'm going to get that set up.

20. Haldor

I sleep on my side and back. It is great having the option to sleep on your back if you feel like it. I never used to be able too, because I would stop breathing.

One key tip, if you are ever using your CPAP for cold weather camping, pull the excess hose inside you sleeping bag with you. That way it preheats the air and keeps you from suffering from hypothermia. Had that happen to me on one bitterly cold November night in Show Low, AZ.

BigBull 301 and PhotoFeller like this.