Anybody tried Ebay QD sling swivels & bases? Will they pull apart?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TGT, Oct 26, 2020.

1. TGT

TGT

Now of course, if anyone will admit to using them is a whole nother smoke. lol

I was wondering if this kind of picatinny mount with quick detachable base for $7.50 shipped on Ebay is any good. (?) I already have it on an AR15. Yea, I own DD, Colt, Troy, LMT, LaRue and other top snob name hardware when it counts, but didn't know if simple stuff like this works well enough. (?) I already have this mount and 2 swivels on my 9lb AR15 and have pulled on the 2 swivels and base as a test. It seems a bit wiggly but doesn't pull loose. (but I'm not sure how much slack I'm supposed to feel) Is that a good enough test? Anybody have first hand experience with QD swivels failing. Yea, I'm suspicious about $7 stuff too but just as soon not pay $50-$75 for the 2 parts if it's not necessary.

Quick Detachable Swivel with base.jpg

Edited To Add;
    Never mind guys.
    I googled "Quick Detachable Sling Swivel reliability, problems?" and didn't like the feedback about machining tolerances being all over the place and rifles crashing loose to the ground. It seems even quality stuff can vary a lot! I'll stick with simple Fudd style Detachable Sling Swivels made by USA GrovTec which will NOT pull loose in that solid alum block. Thanks for the input.
    Small Sling Swivel Mount.jpg
    GrovTec sling swivels USA.jpg
    I'm going with the items in the above 2 photos instead!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    mj9mm likes this.
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Saw your post on ARFcom

I wouldn’t trust a FleaBay air-soft part to keep my rifle from dropping to the ground

TGT and Joshhtn like this.

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

Midwest Industries makes a pretty solid qd set for around $20. I'd much prefer that over an airsoft part from ebay, and I make my living on ebay...

-JCN- and TGT like this.
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'm pretty sure eBay doesn't manufacture a line of QD sling swivels.

No, I wouldn't trust the no-name stuff on eBay.

5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

And, no, ebay doesn't manufacture anything that's for sale on the site.

6. mj9mm

mj9mm

i know what you mean... seriously, it depends on how you use the rifle, or any firearm for that matter. how many of us are LEO's, are you using this rifle day to day, using it on duty? my only concern has been, will it make it through a deer season. my life doesn't depend on it... yet. if it is your HD or bug out gun, set it up with "Quality" parts. designate one rifle as the one you stake your life on and the rest can be "good enough" for the range...
    best of luck fitting your firearms...

TGT likes this.
  7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    I have used several “cheap” brands of QD sling swivels and sockets purchased for 5-10 bucks from gunshows and/or online for our fleet of “rental” guns.

Just like the name brand sockets 99.9% of the issues I’ve seen are from people not getting them set all the way and then them popping free vs any difference in function.

That said, on my personal guns, I tend to run name brand parts.

9. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I’ve had em work and I’ve had em not work, in the long run I’d just buy a quality one.

10. cciman

cciman MacGyver

"Name" brands necessarily don't make their own QDs-- they outsource and get theirs from a supplier too, and put their name on it. You never know if it is the same source as the Fleabay, and they are making a larger profit margin. You assume they are not, but who knows.

I have had variable experience not predicted by the brand or price. I've had cheap ones work great, and others don't fit. I've had expensives one not fit too - depends on the native hardware in the gun. They get thrown in a box and hard to tell which is which.

These parts are poorly standardized for tolerance. You have to test them.

I try to pick those with recessed buttons so I don't accidentally push on the button-- they are harder to use take off though. I check to see that the ball bearings don't fall out.

11. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Understanding chinese production is a way to figure out some ebay.

If you have a product made in China, there is a VERY VERY high liklihood that some of of the production goes out the back door for the military / political leader of the area. The companies that do business there know this. It is an open secret. Much of the product is to "stay in china" and they go to the stores that sell "knock-offs". The reason so many of the "knock offs" are so good is they are the same product and same packaging, just sent out of the back door.

Now for gun parts, they have to be brought into USA in a different method. The Chinese made name brand parts don't come in OEM packaging (or at least CBP tried to intercept).

So depending what it is, you may have a good part that was run on the same line as real stuff.. or you may have a true crappy copy...one never knows unless you know the actual origin in China.

12. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

The airsoft comment is good.

But it also can test stuff. Airsoft gamers probably use slings and such much more and in tougher conditions than most actual guns ever see or are used. Airsoft gets carried a lot, banged around a lot. Etc.

My kid took her airsoft gun out. I put a cheap red dot on it I had laying around. It has a “lifetime warranty”. But they market it is made for actual rifles.

Here is what airsoft did to it.

3BC7891C-D3F8-46B8-AB9A-A451FFBB7B31.jpeg

Airsoft does test some gear more than many “tests”.