close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

anybody tried a countertop rotisserie?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Tol, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Tol

Tol

I was at Target the other day and in an effort to avoid looking at cards was looking at those little rotisseries like they sell on TV. They have a George Foreman for $60 that looks pretty decent.

I'm just curious if anyone has ever tried one. If it did a good job on a chicken it'd be worth it. But I've never even seen one in use.

I'd welcome any opinions.
    Tol

2. norm357

norm357

I have the Foreman rotisserie. I love it! We use it twice a week or so.

Norm

3. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

I have a Farberware. Works great. I set it on top of the stove and use the hood vent.

4. Remander

Remander

What do you guys like to cook on them?

I watch the Ron Popeil infommercial and always think, yes, that looks good, but I can do the same with my oven, gas-grill, etc.

I'm a big skeptic on everything, but open-minded, so someone give me your personal experence on what they are good for.

I'm not putting them down; I just want to learn. You may convince me to get one.

Also: Does that glass window stay as clean as in the commercial? How is cleanup?

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been meaning to ask about these.

5. Medford4

Medford4 Hired Gun

Been using a GF jr for several months. Great for whole chickens, chicken quarters in flat basket, good for shish-kabobs, and just yesterday found it kept my deer sausage juicer than if I grill them. Should be great for ducks and pheasants. Set it and forget it man.^1

6. darin2

darin2

We have a Popeil rotisserie oven, and a table top convection oven that cooks with hot air. I prefer the convection oven. The chicken is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The problem with the rotisserie is that the crust seems so soggy from all the juices...I think the crispy is much better...just sprinkle on a little lemon pepper before you put it in.

Darin

7. wannacmyglock

wannacmyglock Mortgage Man!

believe it or not but I've had some of the best hamburgers EVER cooked in our rotisere and I'm a hamburger conesuer! Chicken always turns out great and many other things too. Well worth the money. My next house won't have an oven, just a big rotisere :D

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

We have got an 'el cheapo rotissere from Wally World we have had about five years. I think it was like $35-40.

All I do to fix a chicken is trim off excess fat, douse liberally with fresh ground black pepper, sprinkle with seasoning salt, spray with PAM (trick to getting a crispier skin;)) and set the timer. Best chicken you can get for $4.

For one of my favorite meals: I cut dice up some of this rotissere chicken breast and put it on top of a bed of salad. I sprinkle in some walnuts. Then I add liberal amounts of fresh black pepper. A sprinkle of kosher salt, some raspberry vinegar and good olive oil and I am in heaven;f

9. Tol

Tol

I got it and I really like it. I've been turning out food faster than anyone will eat it. The fellas are coming over for the race on Sunday and I'm cooking chicken!

Thanks for the great advice. If anyone has any other good ideas for things to put in there, I'd love them.
    Tol

10. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

I actually have a Sunbeam vertical rotissery from the late 1960's that I have owned for decades (bought used). I love it. It is not as flexible as the Popeil ones, but makes great Cornish Game hens and chicken. I have also used it for boneless pork roast with great success.

One trick I have used with chicken and Cornish Hen is to put little pats of butter inside and under the skin. My fav. seasoning is Savory, Thyme, Sage and Rosemary, applied liberally.