Anybody taken the GRE Test recently?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tadbart, Mar 16, 2017.

1. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

Sometime this summer, I'll be taking this test in an attempt to get accepted into a graduate program. Here's the deal- I'm old, I suck at any math outside of balancing my checkbook, and I don't really know what to expect on this test.

Any pointers, hints, or warnings are much appreciated!

2. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Congrats!

Re: math, this is what I've been told and what I tell my students:

You're probably not as bad at math as you think. It's a whole different language. You wouldn't say you were bad at French if you weren't fluent after a few classes with gaps of years in between them, fluency takes years of total immersion to grasp. Ditto with math.

tadbart likes this.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I don't know if they're still around, but I took night prep classes from Stanley Kaplan and smoked the GRE. Granted, this was after I was fresh out of my master's program so the brain hadn't turned to sludge yet. HH

tadbart likes this.
  4. nursetim

nursetim

Several programs are dropping GRE altogether as it is historically a poor predictor of success. They have gone to written essay now. I picked Duke because they took the MAT. I was part of the last class they accepted the MAT.
    Good luck and take a gre prep course.

tadbart likes this.
  5. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

Unlike the GMAT, GRE will require some proficiency in math... Get some prep books and study up: if basic addition and subtraction is what you've been dealing with for the last few years, it's going to hurt if you don't brush up quite a bit.

tadbart likes this.
  6. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I used prep software that had practice tests.

Worked for me, but I am a good test taker.

tadbart likes this.
  7. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

There is prep software available. It is probably online nowadays.

tadbart likes this.
  8. nursetim

nursetim

And he's a fart smeller, I I I mean smart feller, drinking while unemployed. :dunno:

tadbart likes this.
  9. Brm11

Brm11

I was always under the impression that GRE math was much more basic than GMAT math. I remember pre-MBA being told "If you suck at math, DON'T take the GMAT and stick with the GRE". Could be wrong though!

Either way, all of my close friends who have taken the GRE found it relatively easy. Most of them struggle with math and did well enough, with a little prep, to get into their respective graduate programs. There's tons of free online prep. I highly recommend Khan Academy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPyTXGvnif5jmjWEQH18JNWZ0PIVWfJC5

Salman Khan hsaved my academic life more than once!

tadbart and nursetim like this.
  10. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

Nice! Thanks for the pointers. I've heard that Princeton Review and Kaplan both have decent study guides. The GRE prep course at UCF is 750 bucks, so I'm hoping to avoid that route. I'm not at all concerned about the essay portions, as I've written probably 75,000 words over the last year.

The college I want to get into requires the GRE. The semi-local (~100miles) private schools don't. But I really don't want to go that route, so if I can take a good swing at the GRE, I should be alright. GPA is excellent, admission essay is a breeze, hell, even my credit score is fine. Curriculum vitae looks halfway decent, but I probably could stand for some humanitarian volunteer time. Any pointers on making a CV stand out?

nursetim and Brm11 like this.
  11. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Do you know the minimum score you can get? What do you have to shoot for? Is there a profile of graduates accepted into your program that you can look at?

I used the Princeton Review and some online tests to brush up on skills. My school did not require me to do the new Analytical Reasoning portion, just the Quant and Verb sections.

Do you have to take a Subject GRE too? Just for grins and giggles I took the Psych GRE...whew...not good.

Anyway, Princeton Review should be more than adequate.

tadbart likes this.
  12. peng

peng

Whatever schools you are sending in your GRE scores, remember most do not require all the sections of it. There was the one section that had the logic questions that I did very bad on. When I sent it in, I blanked out those scores since they didn't require them and they also did not need to see how dumb I am at that.

tadbart likes this.
  13. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

Back when I was looking into applying for grad school, I remember coming to the conclusion that most engineering related grad programs required the GRE, while degrees in the humanities were mostly GMAT. After looking into the two test examples, I found the GRE math to be harder. I think there was more writing in the GMAT too.

That was almost 20 years ago though.

tadbart likes this.
  14. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I took it many moons ago. i hadn't had a real math class in 5 years at that point, so I bought a study guide for the GRE and had a friend (math and computer guy) tutor me. I would do all the problems I could without him, and then he'd explain the concepts I needed for the ones I didn't know how to do. It worked out well. If you want to save money, just buy a couple of the GRE study guides with the practice tests in them. Do those and you'll know exactly what you need to study.

tadbart likes this.
  15. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

My school offers a grad certificate that, if completed, allows one to enter their natural resource management M.S. program without having to take the GRE.

Looking forward to it, as I hate math.

tadbart likes this.
  16. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

alpcr, the website just says a "competitive" score, nothing subject-specific. Trying to get into a Family Nurse Practitioner program at the local State University. All this stuff doesn't have to be done until February, but I want the chance to retake the test a few times should I absolutely bomb it. Funny, I just checked the mail, and my honors cords just came from the college I'm graduating from with my BSN.

17. silentpoet

silentpoet

Is 20 years recent enough?

Mrs.Cicero and tadbart like this.
  18. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

I doubt algebra has evolved all that much. only difference is, you used a stylus and abacus, I get a computer.:cheers:

Mrs.Cicero and silentpoet like this.