Anybody switch from Cox Comm to Direct TV?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Mar 9, 2014.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I'm thinking of switching from Cox Comm to Direct TV due to the ever rising costs at Cox. Our bill just got raised to over $175 for internet and cable TV.

Costco has a special going on that looks like it will save us over $50 month, give us more channels, and we get a $200 Costco gift card to boot.

Anybody make the switch?

2. Sainte

Sainte

I went from Cox to U-Verse. Couldn't be happier. Cox was always dropping signal, 4-5x a day. Service guy would come out and run all these tests then replace the splitter and cable ends.

I would tell them the previous guy did the same thing and that was not the problem. One guy changed the signal booster and the system worked well for a while.

I finally got fed up with it when I called Cox customer disservice and got a ghetto ass bi#ch on the line. She smacking gum, texting (I could hear her phone dinging and her nails tapping the screen) and replying with a buch og "uhhh and ummmms".

I got so disgusted I told her to cancel the repair call and turn it into a "come get your schit outta my house" call. did not phase her in the least.

a few days later a manager called me asking me to reconsider. I filled him in on the details and politely told him that it would be a cold day in hell before I ever had Cox in my house again.

I've had U-Verse now since August of last year and not a single problem. Good signal in bad wx, good speeds even with internet gaming. Couldn't be happier.

3. Red Stick

Red Stick

Yep. Still have Cox for internet and phone. Directv offers tons of savings for new customers with a 2 year contract. The deals taper off over the course of the first year. I'm now paying full price, about $150 a month, (yikes! Maybe I need to cut some channels) but I do have every channel including all 4 premiums. If you wait a couple of months after they come out on blu ray just about every movie coming out will be on one of those 4.

I think if you really want the deals you need to switch providers every 2 years because they offer you the world as a new customer. Cox called about a month ago offering all kinds of savings and to buy me out of my Directv contract!

4. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I left cox for direct about 3 years ago. It's much better. I've only had signal loss maybe 3 times due to bad storms. Cox seemed to go out more often.

The last straw was when it went out during a pay per view UFC fight right when the fighters were walking out for the main event. I had a bunch of people over to watch and I was pissed. Called them up and all they did was refund the pay per view fee. I felt they should have given me some type of credit and they refused. So I left and went with direct.

5. r3dot

r3dot

I didn't make any kind of switch, but do have DirecTV. The service is great, but make sure to read all the fine print. I was initially paying something like $25/mo, now after 2 years of service, I'm paying almost $60.

6. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I have not option for cable where I live. I use DTV - switched to DISH but preferred DTV. Ford vs. chevy. I was used to DTV and making the move to DISH just didn't work for me.

That said, I'm not happy with the channel guide on DTV - some idiot web designer tried to make it cool and made it unreadable. DISH guide is just black type on white background - scroll to the channel you want - simple, plane, elegant.

I pay about to $160/month for TV/phone/DSL - I have to have a land line to access DSL. Yes it sucks - but it's so much better than dial-up.

I'm supposed to be wired with fiber optic within the next year. TV/phone/internet. TV will be cable - we'll see who makes what deals to get me to subscribe. I won't need land line after that - means no more DSL either. I can't wait.

For now I'm staying with DTV and my land line/DSL - don't want to sign a new contract now.

7. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

So far I'm really happy with it. A lot more channels, and the DVR works better too.

If anybody is thinking of switching, PM me and I'll send you my account number and we'll both get $100 !!!

8. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

For people switching to satellite, what are you using for internet?

9. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

I currently have Dish, and I hate it. I liked cable a lot better. Wasn't offered where I moved to.

10. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I kept my internet with cox. I've been very happy with their internet but TV was crap.

11. Slug71

Slug71

It's nice working for the Cable company. Free Internets, cable and phone. :D

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Yep, same here.

13. Remander

Remander

I quit Comcast years ago for DirecTV. Very good move.

I do still have internet thru Comcast. It is ridiculous at $66 or so a month, but it is WAY faster than any other service. My neighbor paid for some super-fast DSL, then almost crapped himself when we ran the speedtest.net figures on my cable.

We stream a lot to Roku, so I suck it up and pay for the best internet, modems, etc.