close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody produce an invention / product?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mrdann, Mar 18, 2010.

1. mrdann

mrdann

Anyone here come up with an idea and actually produce it? My friend and I invented a product that is composed of fabric and molded plastic. My friend actually made a working prototype and we took it to a "Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing" company in Texas. We paid them a $3,500 "engineering fee" with a contract to order a minimum 500 units when their "engineered model" was complete. We are ready, willing, and able to order 1,000 of them. We belive that we have a hot product, that will sell, and we want to move on this. The damn company has yet to provide us with the working model. It's been over a year. They blame the Chinese. Apparently, NONE of the design, engineering, or production is done in the USA. They sub out EVERYTHING to China.

How did YOU get your product made and into the market?!

2. armorplated

armorplated

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010

3. pugman

pugman

Tagged for later.

I have an idea...and its a good one...original...and I've never seen the product on the market. As a pet owner targeting pet owners I have a huge potential market.

4. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I think that you have lost everything you MIGHT have made on a big level by choosing a production company that makes everything in China. IF your idea is any good, it has been stolen, and will be made, marketed and sold by a Chinese firm now.

You did everything right, up until you chose THAT particular company.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I've had tons of ideas, both real and intellectual, stolen and "stolen" from me.

One of my best was what is now known as the "rawl nail." Yep, that was me, but I didn't get to the patent office quick enough...

6. zeke66

zeke66

I was involved in the early stages of this invention.
    www.walkerwheelwinch.com
    There were fundamental differences of opinion on the design, so my buddy (yes we're still buddies) bought me out. I'm not involved with it anymore, but it's still pretty cool.

7. mrdann

mrdann

I hope you're wrong, but fear this very outcome. WE COULD NOT FIND ANOTHER MANUFACTURING COMPANY. THIS COMPANY WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT RETURNED OUR CALLS AND EMAILS! They're corporate office is in Texas for God's sake. Who's more American than TEXAS?

We haven't seen "our' product for sale yet, but expect to see it more as each day passes. Not sure what to do now. We still can't find another company to make it, were out the 3,500, and we're no closer to a finished product than we were a year ago.

8. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

I invented post-its

9. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

That is a very real risk. It isn't a given.

It isn't even remotely likely unless it is something that already has a market base. China and Taiwan handle massive amounts of prototyping and production for the rest of the world. While there IS a greater risk of being ripped off by it being produced there, the vast majority is not.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  10. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Thats complete BS. If he gets the appropriate Patent Lawyer in the US then he has nothing to worry about. Even if you produce something locally you have no guarantee that someone in another country won't try to copy it. The only way you can protect you idea is with the appropriate patent law in your target markets.

My recommendation is for you to go to China and meet with several contract manufacturers yourself. Cut out the thief middle man who is screwing both you and the manufacturer.

If you'd rather build the product in the US, there are a number of small contract fabricators/manufacturers in every city.

11. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Yeah, I happen to know for a fact just how China trembles when threatened with a patent violation by a US lawyer! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

13. Andy123

Andy123

Maybe not, but a US patent lawyer can protect the US market.

14. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

<<<< Invented leakproof pants.

15. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Thats why I said get patents for your target market countries.

If you have a patent in the US see what happens when they try to knock it off and sell it in the US. So what if they sell it in China?

16. 2afreedom

2afreedom

Bump for an interesting thread.

17. mrdann

mrdann

this is a bump

18. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

Honestly, I am out of my depth. This is not something I am familiar with at all, but I am truly sympathetic to your plight.

If you need to use the legal system and using someone in Texas is the best option, a good friend of mine is a partner in a respected intellectual property law firm in Dallas. PM me if you need contact info.

From their website: