Anybody old enough to remember fondue?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by NRA_guy, Jul 12, 2005.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Anybody old enough to remember fondue?

Back in the 1970s everybody had one of those little pots with a burner underneath and their guests got a long handled 2-prong fork and skewered a cheese cube, meat, or something and cooked it in the pot.

I can't believe we actually did that. We must have been bored.

2. glockmeister71

glockmeister71 Juggalo

My mother in law brought 2 of hers up for this last Christmas.She fixed a cheese fondue in one with french bread,etc. to eat with it.I didn't like it at all.She fixed a chocolate fondue in the other one with different fruits,etc. to dip and I loved that.I'd never tried either one before that.

3. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

I marinate big cubes of venison in Italian dressing and fondue it. It is one of the best ways I know of to cook venison and my kids think it's a special dinner.

4. maxxx93

maxxx93

I was watching a show on food network recently regarding different food trends of days gone by.

When going to commercial, they posted little trivia facts.

Did you know that if you got married in the 70's you could expect to receive 2.3 fondue pots as wedding gifts.

5. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I own an electric one and I love it. I don't care much for the cheese fondue but I really like chocolate.

You can also heat oil in these and use it to cook small bits of chicken or steak. Pretty yummy.

6. method

method

It still exists you know, fondue restaurants are fun (but expensive).

7. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

I have fond memories of fondue (ok..that sounded funny) But..when I was a kid in the late 70's early 80's, my dad used to receive a lot of cheese baskets around Christmas time. Usually, in January, he'd make a big pot of cheese fondue for family and some friends and we'd all dip chunks of French bread in it. Although the type of cheese he'd use was never the same (as he got different types of cheese each year), the recipe is as follows:

"The cheese"
    Clove of crushed garlic
    Some lemon juice
    dry white wine
    Salt and pepper

Good eating and good times.

8. O2BShooting

O2BShooting

I actually still enjoy fondue but admit that my wife & I haven't done it for several years. When our kids get a little older we'll probably do it more because I think they'll enjoy it & find it fun. Also might be a good way for them to eat more veggies.

O2B

9. SIGSAREBETTER

SIGSAREBETTER Teh Pieman

Old enough?? LOL. There is an upscale restaurant here in Tacoma that specializes in it (The Melting Pot). Great place to eat.

10. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

The Melting Pot is a franchise. A friend of mine's brother invests in them. HUGE payoff!

As far as the food goes, well worth the $100+ for a couples special event. The one in San Antonio will even put roses on your table (SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!)

11. MB-G26

MB-G26 Canceled Lifetime Member

cheese fondue, plus various and sundry fondues, finished up w/chocolate fondues for fruit and such.
    Yup, doesn't seem that long ago, does it?
    m

12. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

We cook fondue about once every two months. Really partial to the oil fondue with really good steak to cook in it. We make about 5 - 10 different dipping sauces for the steak: blue cheese, parmesan/garlic mayo, something with capers, etc.

13. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

we have a fondue pot (two actually;f) and I LOVE it! Only do cheese and chocolate at home, the oil ones at the melting pot are phenomenal. I love that place, but gosh you get a lot of food;g

14. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

How do you do chocolate fondue?

What do you dip in it?

Sounds like it would take a lots of Hershey bars!

15. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

Great chocolate fondue

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, reserve 1/4 cup to thin if fondue begins to thicken
    4 bittersweet chocolate bars, chopped, 3 1/2 ounces each
    2 tablespoons Frangelico or Amaretto liqueur, optional
    1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts or almonds, optional

Suggested Dippables, choose 3 or 4 selections of the following:
    Hazelnut or almond biscotti
    Salted pretzel sticks
    Cubed pound cake
    Sliced bananas
    Stem strawberries
    Sectioned navel oranges
    Ripe fresh diced pineapple

Heat 1/2 cup cream in a heavy non-reactive saucepot over moderate heat until cream comes to a low boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add chocolate. Let the chocolate stand in hot cream 3 to 5 minutes to soften, then whisk chocolate together with the cream. Stir in liqueur and/or chopped nuts and transfer the fondue to a fondue pot or set the mixing bowl on a rack above a small lit candle. If fondue becomes too thick, stir in reserved cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, to desired consistency. Arrange your favorite dippables in piles on a platter along side chocolate fondue with fondue forks, bamboo skewers or seafood forks, as utensils, for dipping.

16. glockmeister71

glockmeister71 Juggalo

I know from my experience that the pound cake and fruit are real good in the chocolate.The pretzels sound good too.

17. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Thanks, CaliTheKid.

We go to a New Year's Eve thing every year, and take some food. I like to take something a little out of the ordinary.

I may take your chocolate fondue this year. I already know it would be a big hit!

18. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

And of course you'll have to give it a few trial runs just for "quality control" ;) Just make sure you use the best quality chocolate you can get. It's worth spending the extra buck or two for the imported stuff. Enjoy!!

19. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

My folks got married in 70, I grew up in a 5 fondue pot household. I loved it as a kid.
    I worked in a really nice restaurant probably 10 or 12 years ago that had a really nice cheese fondue appetizer served with fruits and veggies for dipping (cauliflower, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, grapes, apples pears, etc) and the recipie was SO absurdly easy no one believes it's actually really really good. One block of Velveeta, melted with one bottle of Molsen golden. Viola. (melt 'em ovre low heat in a sauce pan, transfer to fondue pot.)