close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

anybody notice this at Olive Garden lately?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Snaps, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

FIrst off, I know... Ohhh chain restaurants yuck ick. We at Glocktalk are above such places. But anywayyyy

Me and the Mrs went to Olive Garden for dinner last night and something just didn't seem quite right. Same as last time we went a couple weeks ago. I remember last night noticing my spaghetti didn't seem to have as much sauce as usual but I really noticed it just now when I went to finish her chicken fettuccine alfredo, there was very little sauce on it.

Was the same place both times, and I'm kinda wondering if this is a new thing of theirs, cutting down?

2. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

I wonder if this is to get the calorie count down? Chain resturants in California are showing calorie counts on the menus. The calorie counts for some Italian food like the alfredos are obscene, 1700 calories or so for one meal. It really makes you think when ordering.

Olive Garden may be preparing for having to display calorie counts nationwide.

3. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

It just means that the last person to eat the same meal you did didn't leave much sauce on their plate for them to scrape onto yours. :rofl:

4. jpa

jpa CLM

Cream, butter and Parmesan cheese are expensive. I blame Obamacare. First they cut the full-time staff down to 28 hours per week so they don't have to pay their insurance, now they cut the sauce down.

5. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

I don't know but their eat tonight and tomorrow deal sounds good to me...

6. Glock40man

Glock40man

7. frizz

frizz

I've been angry with them ever since they dropped the "Chocolate Lasagna" from the desserts list.

I am a stickler for real butter, and the butter-cream layers were just to die for.

8. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

Not kidding, I think showing calorie counts is part of Obamacare. Leave it to Cali to beat them to it. I think it is good though. I went to Mimi's and was amazed at the calories of many of their meals. If the meal has too many calories I'll eat half and take the other half home. Ignorance was bliss and I have the girth to show for it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  9. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I don't think too many people care at all what the calories are when they order something. I could be wrong though, but i know i don't

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Olive Garden is NOT the place to go if you ate counting calories.
    Simply put, OG is cutting costs, less product for the same cost.

11. Longhammer

Longhammer

Last time we went to Olive Garden. The sexy young waitresses were all very inexperienced. And everytime they needed to get something, they had to walk about 50 feet one way. If the service wasn't so bad, it would have been amusing just watching them walk around with a fork or napkins or a glass of water. One lady sitting across from us had her food served, and she sat there for almost ten minutes without any silverware. Mind boggaling. All the good employees have obviously found new employment. That is a good indicator of what is happening. My wife complained about our service too. I had to go outside. I felt sorry for the nice young girl. She tried to cover a shortage on the bill out of her tips money. It was obvious that she was not trained. Nobody was. They were all just posing as waitresses oblivious to it all. I really don't think there was anyone there who was even stressed out that I saw. As someone with no food service experience, I am sure I could have managed that resteraunt better. This franchise is in dire straights. Chef Ramsey would have his hands full. (72nd st. in tacoma)

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Olive Garden is to Italian food what Red Lobster is to seafood... ;)

13. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Well there's a surprise...

14. johnd

johnd

I used to think the Olive Garden was pretty nasty...until I went to Macaroni Grill. If you want to see something that no way remotely resembles the "menu" go there.
    The "Chicken Carina" or whatever was " broiled chicken breast on a bed of pasta in a marsala sauce with sauteed mushrooms and onions"...its pix looked really good. What they served was someone elses leftovers with some maybe Alfredo sauce and a few scraps of what looked like might have once been an Oscar Meyer reconstituted chicken sandwich slice under the pasta.
    There were 3 different pastas in the bowl indicating we got someone elses cooked with ours at the same time in the same pot and it was so old and overcooked we stuck some of it on the wall and it just stayed there.
    Never found the sauteed onions, found what might have been one mushroom stalk part from canned mushroom stalks
    The sauce was white and might have been milk for all its taste.
    We left just about the entire meal and the waiter whom we hadnt seen since taking our order didnt even ask if it was ok, it was still all there on the plate and obviously not eaten...he just said " you want a box for that?"
    The manager was " too busy" to see us, we knew that, he was entertaining some bimbos in the booth next to us and plying them with selections of food and wines and loud conversation. Every time they commented on something he would say " Ill have them make you...." and the stuff kept on coming.

Nasty nasty nasty

15. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

The reason that I avoid places like this isn't because I'm some sort of food snob. I've just had bad experiences with poor quality food, poor service or terrible inconsistency at these places. Now you've experienced it yourself.

16. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Cool, then I need to try them again because I like red lobster.

Gotta love GT, where no one is overweight, no one eats fast food or chain restaurants, and everyone is perfect!:upeyes:

17. Reheater

Reheater Yarr

Worked for the Olive Garden as a Cook for almost 3 years in College.

Probably kicking off another "War on Waste" campaign in the kitchens.

They come around from time to time, basically mandating the use of and constantly inspecting proper portion size by the recipe. Things like if a meal gets 4 oz of the particular sauce, you only use a 4 oz ladle in that particular pan.

Its pretty amazing how much waste a restaurant generates. Case in point another place I worked for showed in 30 days how much mozzarella cheese we wasted because we were hand portioning and over cheesing instead of using measuring cups. It was 190 lbs of cheese. Factor that kind of thing into the whole of the kitchen and your literally throwing thousands of dollars directly into the oven for no return.

18. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Yes, you'll probably love OG.

Not accepting mediocre crap as fine dining is not the same as claiming to be perfect. I doubt seriously that even the most ardent OG fan will seriously claim that its quality even compares to what it was fifteen years ago.

19. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Thing is, around here I can go to tons of local non-chain restaurants that are better and cheaper. I have zero incentive to go. The only time I'll go to the chains is if I'm out of town and have no time to look for a place. Then I just go knowing what the menu will have for me.

20. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Portions at Olive Garden are ridiculously small for the price. The only good deal they have is the "soup and salad".

Tip: the sauce for the breadsticks is extra charge. The waiters never mention this little detail when they offer it.