close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody know how to stop a squirrel?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by frank4570, Jan 30, 2006.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I am hunting squirrels with my 10mm again and I am not getting the shots. I had 2 withinrange (very close)but they never stopped. I can't make a headshot on a moving squirrel. Does whistling stop them like it does deer,or will that just educate them to the fact that I am right on top of them?
    Yes, I know there are better squirrel guns, I hunt everything with my 10mm. It forces me to improve my skills.

2. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Get yoursel a squirell whistle and call. It may not stop them in thier tracks, but they will climb to a higher limb to get a better look. When they do.....;I
    Good luck busting those bushy tails and keep us posted if it works! ;f

3. noway

noway

Get a squirrel call. Haydel,Knights and others make them. Also ditch the 10mm and get a shotgun of 22lR. The 10mm is not a good choice for a squirrel ;)

4. romperstomper

romperstomper Totentance

Using a 10mm on a squirrel, eh? Hee, hee. You do know that it's like using a howitzer if you hit them. There won't be enough left for the family to identify. I agree with the suggestion that you get a .22lr like a used Ruger MKII decked out with a red dot.

5. Sharker

Sharker

I am hoping you arent hunting near civilization... I'd hate to think of a 10mm bullet flying around after you miss a squirrels head when hes up a tree. Plus, not gonna leave alot to eat.
    But just sit under a tree, (oaks are best round here) and the dumb things will crawl around. I'd make a more subtle sound than a whistle to slow em up, and when they stop to look shoot em. I am assuming your using a HG???
    What ever.... have fun and be sure your bullets arent raining down on others.

6. king catfish

king catfish squirrelwhacker

10mm on a squirrel? Can't see the point in that. I guess they won't suffer. I wonder what you're shooting them for, since you can't possibly be eating a squirrel that's been hit with a 10mm. Way to break the stereotype.

I second the suggestion of a squirrel call. In my experience, they won't bring squirrels to you, but they can stop one on the run.

If you are not seeing squirrels that are moving slowly or standing still, you're moving around too much or making too much noise. Sit quiet and still and they will show up after 10-20 minutes or so if they are in the area.

At what range are you shooting? I hunt squirrel all the time, and shots closer than 30 yards are uncommon. 40-100 yard shots are typcial. I use a .22 WMR rifle, and shooting sticks for longer shots. I don't even pull the trigger on squirrels that are moving at more than a slow walk.

I can only assume that with a pistol, shots at that distance are going to be very difficult. To get squirrels closer, you're going to have to be VERY still.

Also, a 10mm is going to be louder than a 22LR, 17HMR, or 22WMR (typical squirrel hunting rifle rounds). These will probably put the squirrels into hiding longer than you may find convenient. That's why rimfire rifle hunting for squirrels is a sit-down event, and shotgunning for them is a walking event. Unfortunately, if you're walking (which you'll have to do if you're setting off that cannon), you'll be hard pressed to hit the squirrels, because they'll be on the run. Not a huge problem for a shotgunner, but probably impossible with a handgun.

Also, I would be concerned with safety shooting 10mm rounds into trees, if that's what you're doing. If you're shooting only at squirrels on the ground, then disregard that comment. Just note that shooting at squirrels in trees with a 10mm would be VERY unsafe unless you're out in the middle of nowhere.I apologize if you're an experienced squirrel hunter and I have been telling you things you already know. But... if you were an experienced squirrel hunter, you wouldn't be using a 10mm.

Just an opinion from an experienced squirrel hunter. Good luck (unless I'm mistaken, you'll be needing it).

7. frank4570

frank4570

Let me see if I can address all the points everbody has made.
    The reason for hunting with the handgun is to improve my skills, all of my skills. With roundnose bullets the damage is not much more than with a fast .22HP. Either makes anything other than headshots a bad idea. I don't take tree shots unless the squirrel is really close and in the middle of a really big tree,almost all of my shots are on the ground. My distance is about 12 yds or less. Things get very challenging under these conditions.Camouflage must be very good. I had one jump on my leg and sit there for a while before going off to play chase with his friends. My movements have to be non-existent or unbelievably slow. At under 15 yards squirrels see almost everything. The way I usually get them is I find a place where they have been recently cutting nuts or a log they have been using as a path and I sit down within 15 yds and wait. By the time the squirrel is in front of me I need to have the gun up already when he gets there. If he stops to eat,headshot. The problem I have had recently is they don't seem to be hanging around. They come past me after leaving thier nest going someplace else. Then after a while they come past again with a nut in thier mouth heading home.And that is about it. So, I have to find a way to get them to stop for a few seconds so I can make the shot.And of course I eat them.I'm not shooting them because I hate them.

8. allhowl

allhowl

Throw out a handful of corn or corn on the cob works. Shoot them in the head to have something to eat. The man who hunts or shoots just one firearm is deadly.:)

9. king catfish

That's more challenge that anyone I know wants or could take on... my hat's off to you. (Remind me not to mess with you. Ever.)

I reiterate the above recommendation about the squirrel call. Get the bellows type, and hold it in your support hand. Depress a finger or two, and the squeak that comes out of it should get the squirrel to stop momentarily, and you will have made very little movement.

I think there is also a kind if squirrel call you can hold in your mouth and give a quick puff of air to make a squeak. This will probably require even less movement. I think this kind is called a "squirrel distress whistle".

Again, I have never known a squirrel call to bring squirrels in, but they will often stop one long enough to get a shot.

Let us know how it works out. Have you gotten any yet?

10. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

A mousetrap and a peanut.

It's just a thought.;Q

11. frank4570

frank4570

Ok. I think I will go with the knight and hale with the instructional tape. I won't have any idea what I am doing without the tape, so the tape seems like a good idea.;) http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingproducts/squirrelcalls.html
    Does that seem ok? I think I will also make it a goal to be able to do these calls with my own mouth, we shall see. I will spend some of the coming off season honing my skills and learning what works. That should go nicely with my other goal of joining the small ranks of people I know who have touched a wild deer. It is going to be a GREAT year.

12. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Stop a squirrel from what? ~rf

Charging? Take away his credit card.
    Running? Disconnect his battery.
    Eating? Hide his fork.
    Reading? Turn out the light.
    Driving? Remove the distributor cap from his car.
    Climbing on your head? Tiny handcuffs.
    Drinking? Get him in a 12-step program.
    Surfing the net? Change his password.
    Sneezing? Hold your finger under his little nose.
    Talking during a movie? Tell him to Shhhhhhh!
    Drinking your milkshake? Get him his own shake.

Headshots, the only way to go.

SQUIRRELS ARE GOOD PEOPLE

13. 49hudson

49hudson

I have never done this because I don't squirrel hunt very much, but I have heard old squirrel hunters rub two quarters together between the thumb and fore finger. It's supposed to sound to them like another squirrel feeding and they will slow down to locate where the sound is coming from.
    Also if you see a squirrel laying on a large lower limb of a tree, shoot the limb right under it. Some times the concussion will knock the squirrel out and off the limb, then you can run over a finish him off. It's called barking a squirrel.
    Good luck with the squirrels.

14. frank4570

frank4570

HA!;z

15. king catfish

Ok, I was taking you seriously up until now, but you're starting to sound like a ninja. I've been around the block a couple of times, and frankly, I think if you could do things like that you wouldn't be asking for advice on an Internet forum. I met some private mercenaries in Haiti that were intense and very skilled, and these guys seemed like they could do things like this (and I saw them do some amazing stuff), but not one of them was the type to ask for advice on how to improve on an Internet forum.

Congrats, you had me going for a minute.

16. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

1) Lick back of the thumb and index finger of your non-gun hand
    2) Press your thumb into your index finger
    3) Suck on the back of your index finger and thumb
    a) Make use of short and long noises
    b) It sounds like a squirrel in trouble and make the squaks go insane
    c) They run up the tree and stop to see who is in trouble
    d) Bang!

I had a whole nest of six baby squirrels exit a bird house and gather on top of it to see what all the noise was about.
    I was ten feet away at the time. They were dancing around and woofing like mad, "Who is in trouble"! Cute little rats when they are the size of full grown chipmunks.

The older squirrles don't fall for the trick as quickly.

It whould have be short work for 6 quick kills with bird shot, they were way too little for it to be worthwhile, no meat.

17. frank4570

frank4570

One of the guys I know who has touched a deer was a pathfinder in Viet Nam. 2 are ordinary experienced hunters who happened to get lucky,one of those had dogs pushing the deer. The rest are experienced primitive skills enthusiasts. I am an inexperienced primitive skills enthusiast.But I am getting better.The way to touch a deer is to predict where a deer is going and be there first with great cammo and the wind in your favor. A good tracker can tell when deer will follow a particular path. Since I have started camouflaging my face and clothing with white ash and charcoal and mud I have been getting much much closer to animals then I ever did before. I have also learned to move about 100yds per hour when appropriate. This year in blackpowder season I moved into an area that had a 6 point and a doe. I was no more than 50 yds from them. I moved into the are while they were already there,very slowly. They never knew I was there.
    I am working a lesser known skill, and I have only been doing it for about 2 years, so I need all the help I can get.
    Using my pistol forces me to get close. I have taken deer, beaver,squirrel,groundhog(he is going to be a new holster,if I ever get around to it),possum, and 2 foxes, both headshots, one of those a running headshot.
    These are all just physical and mental skills that anybody can learn and there are lots of people who are far better than I will ever be. But I am learning.;)

18. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

as i'm semi familiar with folks have some of those skills. lot's is no more'n familiarity and attitude.

if you want something fun to sharpen your eye and reflexes, make a good tubing slingshot with a good fork. m'dad used chinaberry or sassafras, something not much wanted, willow i think once. not too big in the fork, and stiff tubing, about 3/8 or so, 18? inches long, an old boot tongue for a pouch. fun to make. or just buy a wrist rocket, which almost works, but not quite. marbles or balls are nearly necessary for one.

anyway, you can sure as heck get squirrels and cottontails with a .50 ball or a marble or a ball bearing, long as you practice with one size.

and legal almost anywhere. though i hear they have the death penalty for em in massachusetts and new york city.. ;g

19. frank4570

frank4570

There was a time when 8 year old boys hunted small game with throwing sticks and slings.And they did just fine.A wrist rocket is like a rifle in comparison.But I am struggling to bring home a squirrel with a handgun. I don't think I am in any poisition to transition to something more difficult. I'll let you know when the handgun becomes too easy.You may have a long wait.

20. frank4570

frank4570

Does it sound kind of like a rabbit squeek? I tried it on my dogs but they ignored me. I have tried my electronic predator call on them enough times they don't pay any attention.