close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody Kill Anything Yet?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Jonesee

Jonesee

Heading to Oklahoma a week from Saturday for bow hunting.
    Talked to family there today and they said the weather is perfect.

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Well, technically, yes:

[​IMG]

3. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

This morning I got up at 3 a.m. and drove to the grasslands of NW Colorado to hunt for pronghorn. Went through some beautiful country on the way and watched several herds of elk and deer. The area I hunt pronghorn is a patchwork of private and public land, so one has to study the maps carefully to stay on public ground. It was 3 days after the season opener and there were no other hunters around. Pretty soon I spotted four animals moving about a half mile away. I drove on another half mile and planned a stalk to head them off, walking down a gulch, then up over a hill.

The animals had bedded down about where I expected them to be. Pronghorn are very wary, able to detect movement at great distance. I crawled on my belly about 90 yards until I could barely see them from a prone position. Four does were positioned so each was looking in a different direction. Suddenly, two were looking in my direction and I knew it was time. I shot the biggest doe in it's bed at 210 yards. The 180 grain .30-06 Nosler Partition broke the shoulder and clipped the heart. She got up and ran with the others about 70 yards, then collapsed. It was 8:02 a.m. I'd been hunting for 30 minutes. Oh, well.

[​IMG]

The quarter mile drag to the road was an easy one. The location was about a half mile from where I'd taken a Pronghorn buck last year. That hunt was a little more involved for a one day hunt, but also more rewarding.

On the way home I drove up the beautiful Williams Fork River, up Ripple Creek Pass, and onto my elk camp outside Buford near the FlatTops Wilderness. The combined elk, deer, bear season begins in less than two weeks. I can hardly wait. :wavey:

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Nice! But I think I'd shoot 300 yds before I crawled 90, for a 210 yd shot!

5. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Same here!

6. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

For me the best part of hunting is stalking an animal.

Using woods skills, being quiet, reading the wind and knowing the animal are crucial.

I've shot deer and stuff with a rifle, and it was enjoyable.

However nothing compares to being 15 yards from a large animal and it not knowing you're there. Moving so slowly every muscle in your body is quivering and aching, and knowing that the smallest noise or visible movement will spook the animal.

Waiting for it to duck down to eat or its head to go behind a tree as your heart is pounding in your head. Then getting that split second to draw the bow, knowing that this is it, no second chances...

This is what hunting is to me.

7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I enjoy stalking/fieldcraft too. Both of my caribou this year were taken at less than 30 ft.

But low crawling 90 yds, for a 210 yd shot, isn't really what I'd call fieldcraft. I'll just shoot 300 yds.

8. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

It would have been an offhand shot at an animal that was bedded down. While I'm a pretty competent offhand shooter, I would have had to expose more of my body to do it. Also, I needed to carefully glass the animals to make sure I didn't shoot a buck. Notice the doe had 4" horns.

Pronghorn are much more skittish than deer, elk or caribou, they will get up and bolt at the slightest movement. Then, I would have been walking the prairie again instead of dressing game. The belly crawl worked (and there weren't any cactus or rattlesnakes along the way). :cowboy:

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

SUHWEEEEEET!

(The orange thing on the left-front leg, is that the tag for your area?)

10. Peace Warrior

My first time was three or four rabbits my uncle and oldest brother took out of a local farmer's field. I was keen on the hunting, and very good noticing rabbits, but when my uncle had me butchering them out back where they burned the trash (back then, they're not allowed to now), I almost lost my lunch a few times.

They used shotguns and the shotgun pellets/bb's/shot will oft times penetrate the belly/intestines/etcetera. I had cleaned hundreds of fish beforehand, so the blood and guts didn't get to me, but that smell, I mean for the first time... UGH!

Long story short, my aunt and uncle cooked 'em up and they were dang good eatin' though! :supergrin:

Mike, that was over 40 years ago counting from this year, so thanks for the trip down Nostalgic Lane. :wavey:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  11. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Yes, that's the carcass tag which has to be signed, punched and attached to the animal immediately after the kill. It's tied with orange baling twine. I always carry about 50 yards of baling twine while hunting. It's cheap, compact, lightweight, and strong enough to drag a deer or goat down the mountain or across the prairie. For big heavy game like elk, it is invaluable for tying back the legs for field dressing, or keep a beast from sliding down mountain. Baling twine can save the day when you have to maneuver and prepare a 400-500 lb. animal by yourself.

Last year's bull rolled down a slope and piled up against some oak brush where it was impossible for me to move him. Eventually I got his legs tied back to nearby shrubs so he could be field dressed, skinned and cut up for packout.

[​IMG]

Elk are big animals, too big for most men to move more than a few feet. There's no dragging an elk back to camp, even with a horse.

[​IMG]

Neatly held with baling twine, this one at least fell on level ground....

[​IMG]

I got 'er cut up ready to pack out the next morning, but a bear chomped on much of the back straps by the time I arrived the next morning....

[​IMG]

A bear also ate part of my 2010 elk. I had cut it up into 7 pieces ready to pack out and laid them out on the snow for a morning packout. I tried to foil a bear by tying all the pieces together with baling twine to make it harder to carry away. It worked! The bear dragged a leg and all the pieces followed but the tied parts kept him from getting away with anything but the unsecured liver.

[​IMG]

Can you tell I like hunting elk?

[​IMG]

My 2012 elk hunt begins in one week, wish me luck.

12. Zonny

Zonny

Freezer pets.

13. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

My son and I have access to a friend's farm, about 20 miles south of here. (About 30 acres.)

My son shot a nice 6 pt whitetail 3 weeks ago.
    Complete pass-through.
    The buck went across one of the fences, and he heard a shot.

The buck was recovered by the Amish guy that lives on that farm.
    He had shot the buck w/ a .50 caliber flintlock on his property.

14. TK-421

TK-421

Man, I wish I could go hunting, but I don't have the equipment, the knowledge, or anybody to show me how. Would love to eat more meats other than domesticated cow, pig, and chicken. I've had deer before and loved it, but that was only once. Always wanted to try buffalo, elk, moose, caribou, reindeer, and to eat more deer. I just don't know anything about hunting, and would prefer to go with an experienced person my first few times.

15. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

Tomorrow AM is supposed to be about 30 and clear (SW PA).

I'll be out hoping to take a doe with my arrow gun.

Maybe the muzzle loaders will push something past me.

16. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

We don't open til the 15th. I've seen some big ones killed in Kentucky this year.

17. econjon

econjon

Good luck! I'm in the middle of a spike elk hunt in Utah and have a cow hunt coming up in January with the general deer hunt starting next week. Love this time of year!

18. Tvov

Tvov

A thread I started last year about wanting to hunt:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276981

Scroll down a few posts on that thread, and read the one that bustedknee made.

I didn't start hunting until I was 46 years old, which was last year. Find out if you need a hunting license where you are, and make arrangements to get one. Many sporting goods / gun stores can point you in the right direction. I found that most hunters do not want to take a "newbie" out. Talk to hunters, ask questions, but don't be pushy. You'll get your opportunity.

19. Peace Warrior

:woohoo:

I hate 'yotes! :steamed:

20. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

now today it got worse, we now have the wasting disease as well