Anybody involved in a Church Small Group?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by John_NJ, Feb 23, 2013.

1. John_NJ

John_NJ

My wife and I have been attending a small group since 2010. We have about 20 groups in our church that meet on a regular basis.

I would be interested in hearing others experience in these kinds of groups. Do you do a lot of study or does it turn more into a social event? Do you tend to do topical studies or specific books of the bible? How do you handle prayer time/prayer requests?

Our group is now up to 15 people. We range in age from 40-70. About 1 1/2 hours is discussing the study and the last 1/2 hour is pray time and requests.

It's a bit of a challenge staying on topic/on time with so many people but we somehow manage.

2. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

my church has small groups. some of them are for study's some are for social groups. you can get together and study the bible in Hebrew or get together and scrapbook. in the summer months we even have a shooting group that meets once a month to go plinking with friends.

3. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

Been in a lot of them and some bad ones along the way.

In one now, studying the attributes of God. Co-ed and a good group. About six older couples and it's fun for us as we don't have any zealots that have to hog the conversations or prove their expertise at theology

At about 12 or more to a group should be split off into another group. For many reasons. One of which you mention .
    Although my wife's Ladies group is 15 plus and they are doing great. But they have snacks. And my wife is a retired Teacher and she runs a tight group.

Our men's group is about 12 and I don't go to that one. There are several other groups as well.

One can learn a lot OR become bored out of one's mind.

Most of the time I got into trouble with younger leaders that are more idealistic control freaks. If you are into one of these... get the hell out of there fast.

But at my age I probably won't go to any more after this one.
    Keeping in mind anyone that is under sixty is a kid.:whistling:

4. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

I've got some questions, if you could put them before your group for answers:

In my estimation, there can only be one God. To be "God" requires omnipotence. If there were more than one "God", they could not be individually omnipotent; they would have to limit each other and therefore they would not be omnipotent.

Why do there seem to be so many differing concepts of who/what "God" is and what "God" wants from men?

If there is only one "God", why are there so many differing religions?.

Within religions, why are there so many differing schisms?

Is your particular religious affilitation the only "right" one? Are all the others the "wrong" ones?

Why is religion always "divide, divide, divide" and not "unite, unite, unite"?

:dunno:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. railfancwb

railfancwb

Had you rather be a small frog in a big pond or a big frog in a small pond?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. Triple7

Triple7

We have Bible Fellowship Groups (25 couples or so) We do a ton of stuff together also. Social events and stuff but really it's just more friends now. I hunt with several of the guys, and play softball with some others.
    We also have small groups with 4 couples. We really just hang out one sunday a month and have dinner and just chill.

7. bruzer

bruzer

Our local Church, River Valley, is really big on home groups and encourages all to get plugged into one. The Wife and I started with the Pastor's Home Group and branched off with 3 other couples. With busy schedules we are down to us and one other couple regularly attending once a week. It is social and bible study. Currently we are watching the "Left Behind" movies.
    Mike

Matthew 18:19-20

New International Version (NIV)

<sup class="versenum">19 </sup>&#8220;Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. <sup class="versenum">20 </sup>For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.&#8221;

8. fgutie35

fgutie35

In my church, we have ministries. Aisde from being involved in the ACTS Mens Choir, I'm also part of a ministry (group), called "God's Fathers". It is focused on the family and our role as fathers. Our group is very diverse on ages. We have young dads, as well as seasoned grandfathers. The point is to learn from each other on how to be the priest of the family and better husbands and fathers. We use scripture for topic assigments, then we discuss how does it apply to our goals.

9. Stlbrian

Stlbrian

I have been involved in small group for about 8 years. My small group has a core of 8 guys, and over the years we have had a bunch of other guys. We are a "mens small group" our members range from mid 20's to their 60's, most are fathers, all are husbands.

We have done bible study books, stuff by John Ortberg, and the Nooma Series by Rob Bell come to mind. These studies have proven beneficial for us, but honestly the studies I get the most out of are the ones where we say, now what did this specific passage mean. Then using the bible, and historical evidence we unpack the word.

We meet on Saturday mornings for a few hours. Someone brings breakfast, we pray and eat, and have fellowship for 1/2 hour to an hour, then spend the remaining hour or more studying the bible.

We have a standing policy that if any of our members needs help, or want to talk about something, we will put our study on the back burner and focus on their problems.

My small group is my safety net. Having a group of like minded men to share my problems, and triumphs with, has been essential to furthering my walk with Christ.

10. FCoulter

FCoulter

Way off topic!

11. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

How so?

The OP was about religious groups, gathered for fellowship and religous discussions.

Don't these questions come up at such gatherings?

As always, I am just asking for their take on questions for which I have always been looking for answers.

I was hoping they could supply some.

:dunno: