Anybody here work for DirectTV?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tv vet, Oct 17, 2010.

1. tv vet

tv vet

Spoke with someone from their HR, she told me first year install techs average from 35 to 50K.....HUH?! That's a big gap there. And she claimed she knew of someone who made over 75k last year. I asked if there was any hard numbers broken down by region, she said that information is basically non existent. Don't know where they get those numbers from?

Installers aren't paid hourly, but by each job. She couldn't tell me how each job breaks down because she said she didn't know. I'd be working directly working for DTV.

I'm interested, but would like to hear from anybody in the know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. janice6

janice6

I installed my service myself. But the neighbors have had theirs "installed" by DTV Installers.

The cables drop from the pole to the ground. They then run the cables along each of the chainlink fences. When they get to the yard they bury the cable by using a spade and cut a slot about 1 or 2 inches into the sod. Then the cable goes by direct route to the bldg.

This is the sloppiest job I have ever seen and I have a lot of time on cabling and
    RF. This gets the drops all hanging down to the ground and in the way of weed eaters etc. I am waiting till a lightning stroke fries the fence/the home/the tvs.

My point is this is how they make high numbers of installs, Do it sloppy, dangerously.

If you are paid by the number of installs, this may be the way to do it.

3. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

I've got a friend that just went through their training last month.His first paycheck will be nearly $800 for 1 weeks work.'08.

4. tv vet

tv vet

Yeah I'm not about sloppy work. Better to do it right the first time so you don't have to come back and fix it. Hopefully they grounded it.

5. tv vet

tv vet

Huh, not bad to start I guess.

6. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I know for a fact that we have a member who does this. He answered all my questions about making some changes to my own DirecTV system.

Keep bumping your thread and he'll likely see it.

7. ronin_the_great

ronin_the_great

He saw it:supergrin:

We are payed by the job, but it varies from job to job depending on the type. I make $25 for a service call. an upgrade going from std def to HD I make around $70ish. New installs and mover installs starte at a base of $34ish for one room std. HD and more rooms add to that base amount.
    I'm on pace to make about $48ish this year.
    Are you planning to become an installer? I have to warn you that the first couple months suck. Alot. You're not in a groove yet, and working late everynight, but making the same amount of money. But it gets better after that. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm. I've worked for a HSPs, contractors and directly for them now, so I should be able to answer anything.

Edit to add:
    DirecTV is almost always hiring if someone is looking for work. Just hit up www.directv.com/careers, and click on your state. Also, if you want to co the 1099 route, hit up craigslist in your town, there are almost always postings in the general labor section.
    I'm not a recruiter or anything, but this economy sucks, jobs are hard to find, and we are always busy.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you're talking about cable TV, right? The OP is talking about DirectTV where the signal comes in via satellite dish that sits on the roof top, like mine does. The only cable is the one from the dish into the house.

9. ronin_the_great

ronin_the_great

I've had to clean up some horendous stuff, so I know what you are talking about. It depends alot on the tech you get. Jump techs from other cities "helping" with overflow are the worse. On the other side, techs that work directly for DirecTV usually put out the best work. But there are yahoo's at every level, just like everywhere else.

10. Fwdftw

Fwdftw

i work for comcast and its just hourly.. i get paid around 14 an hour.. im a tech/installer