close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody here have a miniature pincher in the family?....

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Ganesh, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Ganesh

Ganesh Okie 4 Life

My boy is named Duke...he's a good dog, bout 4 years old now. Not so mini tho...i picked the largest outta the litter. Now he's a healthy(lotta muscle,very little fat)23lbs. Yep, quite big for the breed, to big to show in fact.

Anyways, last week i caught him circleing around in front of my entertainment center. So i got up and called to him. Very happily he came over to me. Unfortunately a coffee table was between us...and he ran into it. The next day i took him to the vet. Blind as can be. The vet ran blood tests and such. Said he had what is basically the opposite of glaccoma. Technical stuff on pressure in the eye and such. but if left alone, would become glaccoma and permanent.

Got him on 4 drugs, two oral, two are drops for the eyes. In about a week i have to take him back. He can see now but not very far yet. My guess is he sees shapes and such...enough to avoid hitting objects and such. The vet said there will be permanent damage but sight should recover greatly at best.

This dog has been the best watchdog. Better than any breed ive owned. He isnt big enough to really do any harm or such. But nobody can sneak up on him. Not even a tumbleweed 300 yards away from the fence. ;) Now he goes outside sniffs the air and comes in. Very depressin. :sad:

The vet said that he will probably be taking some kind of medication the rest of his life, no matter how well he ends up seeing. And that he is one of 42 breeds that need to have their eyes checked every year starting at year 1.

Good news is...Duke went ballistic on a kid ridin a bike today. So at least his vision seems to get better by the day, even if its only out to so many feet. Ill be happy if he can at least see far enough to keep the cats in line and the random passer by(100 feet or so) only time will tell tho.

So any other people here deal with this? Vet said he did really well blind. By using smell, hearing and feel. Said it was unusual how well Duke adapted. No telling how long he suffered partial vision or such...since he showed no signs or worry.

2. RedRunnerGTS

RedRunnerGTS Jeep

I have one at my parents house. He is currently 9 going on 10 in Nov. He is a big dog as well. He has very little fat and lots of muscle and he weights around 23 pounds too. He is handful at times, but he is also very cute when he gets cuddly. He used to get into everything though, he got into my moms purse and only took out the candy and didn't disturb anything else. He also ate a whole thing of super glue. He is a good guard dog too, and caught people trying to t-p our house. I love that dog, and I think I'm the only one in my family that does. I wish I had pictures of him.