Anybody hear about this change shortage going on?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SWFlGuy, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Pluto57

Pluto57

No, they're sitting in jars on people's dressers.

Caver 60, cbetts1 and deputy tom like this.
  2. RSCamaro

RSCamaro

Something in the back of my head is stating that they don't necessarily have to accept payment in large amounts of pennies. Archival footage in my brain is showing me something like 20 canvas sacks of pennies that were supposed to be used to pay someones taxes and the local government refuse. Maybe late 80's or 90's. Anyhoo, check the laws, don't want to drag all that change in just to be refused service.

...Ron

jimcorbin likes this.

3. DAKA

DAKA

Is that a roll of quarters in your pocket or are you just happy to see me...

Gray Dood likes this.
  4. manfred the wonder d

manfred the wonder d

I've got loads of change in cup holders in my truck. Just don't want to bother to deal with it.

5. TeaDub

TeaDub

I hadn't heard of a coin shortage until just now reading this thread. My wife still prefers cash while shopping. Places like Walmart use machines to dispense change rather than a person handling it recently. She has seen no signs of a shortage locally.

Ha, the other day I had a young person cashier while I was buying beer. I brought 4 quarters and four nickels plus a 20 bill. That was one penny over and I said "keep the penny for next time".

It took her about a full minute to figure out how much I had given her..... :rolleyes:

6. slym2none

slym2none

I have worked a few cash registers in my life, and unless the customer wanted a receipt, I never entered in the amount tendered, and always gave back correct change. Simple math, I figure if I can't do it in my head, I shouldn't be running a register. It's also something easy to keep the brain active.

7. Current Resident

Current Resident

Pretty good point

Caver 60 likes this.
  8. rock_castle

rock_castle Proud Nationalist who loves his country

They can easily track a cashless society. They can't really track a cash paying society.

nursetim, Caver 60 and larry_minn like this.
  9. slym2none

slym2none

That's the rub, isn't it?

"We are having a coin shortage!"
    "Here's some coins..."
    "We can't take them!"

You'd think... ah, but there's the problem - most people just don't think anymore.

*sigh*

10. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

Yep. went to pay a citation years ago- a sign stated that they could refuse to accept any type of payment like coins.
    I used folding money.
    YMMV.

11. slym2none

slym2none

Paper money pieces in the USA all say "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

Our coins do not.

;)

Also, FTR - we in America do not have "pennies". The word penny is another name for "pence", and our ancestors fought a war to get away from that particular country that uses them, so we have a "one cent piece", or just a cent coin. Nowhere at the US Mint nor anything they publish ever calls a one cent coin a "penny".

*takes off my pedantic @$$hat robe*

12. tacit mesa

tacit mesa

I was at our Clerk's Office when I guy tried that. I told him that we had to count it so he would get full credit and made it to about 45 cents before losing count, three times. He found his checkbook.

13. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

A big jar of street? Why?

14. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

I use Apple Pay. Haven’t seen a quarter in months. Preppers probably hoarding cash for the apocalypse.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  15. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I can’t wait till all parking meters have been converted.

SevenSixtyTwo, FullClip and jimcorbin like this.
  16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

First I heard of shortage. I am 99% credit card, checks. (Many small business hate CC, some will not accept them.). “Just pay us when you get by next time”

How many coins “wear out”? Fewer people use change. This panic stopped me. (I used to use change for small purchases.)
    Now have used card for $3 stuff.
    But a couple have said the bank will not accept the change. (Face value). And WW lobby change machines take a percentage.
    If the banks want change. Set up time to bring in change. For most people it hasn't been touched for weeks, months. Have them dump in machine... pay them, wipe it down, wave next person in.

17. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

When the local branch of my bank was closed because of Covid 9except for the dive-thru)I was getting 10 dollar rolls of quarters from my local Safeway market.

I need quarters to do my laundry and the apartment building where I live has a laundry room. Yesterday I was doing my laundry and was almost out of Quarters so I went to the Safeway to get some because it was after 5 and the bank was closed. But first I went to another store and asked them if I could get some quarters and that's when I learned about thew shortage.

Then I went to Safeway and same story there. They couldn't give me quarters because of the shortage. next I will try the Laundra-mat in town and see if I can get quarters out of the coin machines that take one, five, and ten dollar bills.

I hope this shortage doesn't last because I like clean clothes and sheets.

18. slym2none

slym2none

Some stores, like grocery stores, have a machine and it spits out a receipt that you can pay for your purchases with, no percentage taken.

Also, you can roll them in the paper rolls.

Some people have also said it is just difficult to spend. ****, if people think it is so hard to spend money, give it to me - I have things I need I can surely spend it on. Easy-peasy.

19. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Not worn out. Not circulated.

20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

But it’s impolite to buy food thru drive thru with pennies, nickels, dimes. Much less more expensive items.
    I bought two rolls of Quarters few months back. For car Washes. Guess I should have got more.