Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new handgun safe to keep in the bedroom. I want something other than a dial combination...I am looking for quick access. I have a GunVault and it's an absolute piece of crap. Like everyone else it seems, mine broke after a short time and I have to use the key. I have read good things about the Protex. Anyone have hands on experience with one of these?

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
My gunvault was flawless. It was not, however, biometric. It had pushbuttons on top instead. They are great. Biometrics are a little more expensive, but they can be just as reliable as a key lock, if they have reliable power.

·
NRA Life Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My gunvault was flawless. It was not, however, biometric. It had pushbuttons on top instead. They are great. Biometrics are a little more expensive, but they can be just as reliable as a key lock, if they have reliable power.
That is what I have now. The keypad still works, but the lock refuses to release unless you use the key.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ours doesn't use any electronics and the box is very strong since it is made of 3/16" steel. The lock is a pushbutton Simplex that can be opened very quickly by feel in the dark. Uses a gas strut to present the gun to you when the door is opened. Your gun is always in the same position every time. Mine is bolted to my bed frame.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
Send it back or take it back. Getting that one working won't prevent you from getting something like Fas1 shows.
That is what I have now. The keypad still works, but the lock refuses to release unless you use the key.

·
NRA Life Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Send it back or take it back. Getting that one working won't prevent you from getting something like Fas1 shows.
Had it 1.5 years. I have been speaking to GunVault, they won't lift a finger to help me because they say it's "old".

·
NRA Benefactor
1,496 Posts
I have the first generation of this:
http://www.smarttouchstore.com/product_p/biovaultblack.htm

It has an AC adapter and battery back up. It is a little slower to open with the battery, but not by much. You can program in a lot of fingerprints. Has not failed me yet. I bought it in 2005

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ours doesn't use any electronics and the box is very strong since it is made of 3/16" steel. The lock is a pushbutton Simplex that can be opened very quickly by feel in the dark. Uses a gas strut to present the gun to you when the door is opened. Your gun is always in the same position every time. Mine is bolted to my bed frame.

how much is this for GT members? thanks.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Do you have any larger pics of the Fas1 safe? The pics on the website are so small you can't see any detail.
Yes I know. Our website is simply an online store and we hope to update it soon so we can add more info there.

For now we have some on Facebook if you use it. Click the link in my signature below and there are some better pics there. Go to the features and details photo album.

·
NRA Life Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I know. Our website is simply an online store and we hope to update it soon so we can add more info there.

For now we have some on Facebook if you use it. Click the link in my signature below and there are some better pics there. Go to the features and details photo album.
Don't do facebook...I guess I'm an old timer at 37!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Do you have any larger pics of the Fas1 safe? The pics on the website are so small you can't see any detail.
I'll post a couple that show more detail later this afternoon.

The thumbnails on the web page will open in a new full size window when you click on them so yo can see them better. Click the thumbnail and it will show as the main pic on that page. Then click it again and it will open in a new window where you can see a full size pic.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Here you go Praetorian27. A couple pics of details. Thanks for taking a look.

3/16" (7 GUAGE) STEEL PLATE WELDED CONSTRUCTION
* Welded latch catch for strength.
* Welded in door jam for added pry resistance.

3/8" SOLID STEEL NON-EXPOSED HINGE PIN
* Welded in place for strength.
* Covered by formed lid for extra security.

RECESSED LID
* 3/16" Steel (7 Gauge).
* Formed to cover hinge.
* Recessed Lid for added pry resistance

GAS STRUT ATTACHMENT
* Opens lid automatically to present your gun to you when lock is opened.
* Gun is ALWAYS in the same place/position. Ease of retrieval, even in low light or high stress environments.
* Stops lid at end of stroke and keeps open.
* Made in the USA.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Looks great! Will the holster fit a Glock with a rail light?
Yes it will. If you have a light on your gun you should order the FAS1-TL which has a holster for a tactical light/laser. You can order the standard holster along with it if you want to swap holsters out.

The FAS1 has a universal holster that will accommodate any handgun that will fit inside the box that does not have a light/laser installed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts