Anybody have a UTV???

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I have a standard 2013 Polaris Ranger 800. We use it for duck hunting primarily in flooded rice fields (about knee deep--sometimes more) water. But I also use it for other things. Hunt with a bunch of guys who also have them--many have done mods and lived to regret it.

The big thing seems to be adding larger tires and or lifting the machine. I personally added tires that were 2" more in diameter but the same width as the original tire and changed to an aluminum rim. The repair guy at my dealership told me he repairs lots of problems created by heavily modded suspensions and that I should keep my changes to about what I did and won't see any issues. But the guys who have trouble are the ones that add big tires and change the geometry and therefore the torque angles of the suspension. Those guy snap front axles all the time. I see it all the time. Keep in mind we are using our machines in flooded fields...muck and mud under water almost all the time. So what you see on dry land might be different. We also tend to load the things up with dogs, guns, decoys, bags, 4 people etc...and of course when we do that its not like we drive around at 40 mph either. If we go more than 10 mph it would surprise me.

I do have a friend who bought a Razr last year to use duck hunting and he is very disappointed in the thing. Its not geared correctly for the kind of work we do with our machines and really struggles to keep up with the other more generic machines in several ways. I'm sure it would smoke everyone on a dry trail with two people in it. But that's not how we use em....

These things aren't cheap to maintain. I broke a cooling fan blade in mine this year and the bill was $600 parts and labor... This seems to be a common problem with these machines. You literally had to disassemble the whole front end to get the clearance you need to access the radiator/fan assembly. I would have done it myself but I didn't have the time or part on hand and it was the middle of the season and needed the thing back in service the following weekend. In contrast I put a cooling fan assembly in a Nissan Maxima last year---the part was $129 and the job took me 15 minutes. The Polaris part retails for $289! Though you can find it cheaper if you look around.

2. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I had a Rhino when they first came out with the 700 model, I modded it a bit but the more I thought it was going to be the ultimate fun, the more I missed my ATV and the ability to get a little nutty riding. I ended up with friends asking me to haul chairs, coolers and extra gear and hoo boy, you gotta watch the thumbs when in snow ruts, that wheel can break one right off. Gonna get back into something soon. Thinking just a Polaris 570 atv for elk hunts, nothing fancy. I saw a Yamaha Viking six seater at the boat dock this summer and thought, man that is insane but pointless waste of money.

3. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

A friend's son owns a Polaris RZR 1000cc 4 seater. He brings it up from the city and explores the back roads and trails on it. He's put a load of money in aftermarket trick parts on in to the tune of over $30K total. I went for a ride with him and he was driving way too fast on roads and trails he wasn't familiar with. I didn't like the feeling of being a passenger with no control over what he was doing. They might be fun for the one driving, but riding as a passenger sucked.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

" did you say uts ?'
    yes the 2 uts

5. racer11

racer11

I had the same experience last week as a passenger on a high performance demo ride. Young driver blitzing on unfamiliar ground going balls to the walls..one deep ditch almost done us in. Not fun

Inyo Tim likes this.
  6. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

id just buy an old cj jeep and rig it for rock climbing , whole lot cheaper . the prices on the utes is totally crazy

Inyo Tim likes this.
  7. vart

vart

Around here, the prices on the old Jeeps are crazy... You can almost buy a brand new UTV for the price of an old beat up CJ.

Jeep - $7000 (Moscow)

image 3 of 5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    (google map)

1978 jeep cj-7

fuel: gas
    title status: clean
    transmission: manual

Has a AMC 302 V8. New carburetor. New fuel pump.
    Everything works good. Ready to go wheeling. No rust.

Inyo Tim likes this.