Anybody have a UTV???

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665

ATV vs UTV....they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

ATV's are generally more agile and better suited to close quarters and narrow trails, they can be manipulated with body weight (to a point), much better suited to work in most cases, and they're lighter.

UTV's are, I think, a little safer (roll cage), better suited for just plain fun, and room for a 40 quart cooler.

My ATV is primarily for work around the place and my deer leases...in that role, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, it can be quite fun to play on too...its a Honda, its not fast (50 mph top speed)...but it will get me there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

I haven't seen any diesel models domestically. I don't think you'd be interested in one. :dunno:

Diesel_Bomber and G30SF/F-250 like this.

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    That and for one:
    I can only pull so many trailers

For two:
    Hotels would probably be pissed if I was ripping it up. :supergrin:

:cheers: brother!

Kevin108 likes this.
  4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I think Deere and Kubota offer diesel UTVs. HH

5. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

I have had a Polaris for 13+ years and recently picked up a Gator. I love mine.

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Yup, say UTV and the Gator is what comes to mind.

Utilitarian indeed, and economical to run, but not exactly sporty.

7. Lazy R

Lazy R

I'm not too old and beat up and headed for the old people club yet but I'm getting there. If'n I wasn't riding bikes around I'd probably have one of these.

8. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

This is us. We have an old (2006) Yamaha Rhino that suits us just fine. It has more ground clearance than all the RZRs we ride with which makes up for its lack of speed.

9. RenegadeGlocker

My Gator is a diesel.

10. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

:nutcheck:

11. kiole

kiole

A decent Side by Side will beat an ATV any day on the trail if that trail is wide enough to accommodate the width of them.

In my RZR I left ATVs miles behind. I'm doing 50MPH easily through rocky straight sections and they're trying to do 25MPH completely miserable. I'd do 200 miles a day and not begin to be fatigued not many people can do that on a ATV. Also hill climbing and rock climbing a side by side beats an ATV.

Only use for an ATV is if your on a budget or you're in very tight trails. I've owned a Yamaha banshee, warrior, grizzly and I'd never go back to the ATVs.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  12. Lazy R

Lazy R

Rode my bike in Moab a couple years ago and there was an astonishing number of UTVs there.

13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Had a RZR for a long time, but went back to the ATV's as they're just more versatile and more capable for most things.

I did enjoy the RZRs cab in crappy weather, but overall I just don't miss it much.

14. GRD67

GRD67

We were looking at the atv/utv, but for what you get and the cost, we decide to get a Suzuki Samurai. We found a nice 1992 for $5,000, it has a radio, heater, A.C., here is a video on one;

15. RenegadeGlocker

That is an axle waiting to snap

16. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Proof that just because you have a Land Rover, doesn't mean you know how to use one.

17. CAcop

CAcop

We have something like that at work. I beleive ours is a four seat Polaris. I like it better than the ATVs we have. It is a lot more relaxing sitting in the thing rather than be sitting on top of a engine rattling your brain. Ours is pretty stock because all we are using it for is jaunts in the woods or beaches where we might have to bring a suspect back.

18. vart

vart

I've had an ATV since 2001 and have ran them in Idaho, Iowa, and Arizona. I've ridden in all terrains from prairie to desert to dense forests.

My brother-in-law is a very wealthy farmer in Southern Idaho who has several RZRs. Most are heavily modified with close to 100hp for dune riding. Every year, they load them up and make a pilgrimage to the dunes on the CA/AZ border for a couple of weeks of playing.

My folks Winter in Yuma, AZ and UTVs are EXTREMELY popular there; everyone has either one of those, or a Jeep, or a Samurai.

If you want to make money; round up used Samurais for around $2500 or $3500 a piece and haul them to Yuma and sell them all day long for $5k to $7k...

Where I live and where I go outdoors, an ATV makes more sense for me. Especially a mid-sized one. I currently have a Polaris Sportsman 500HO. A lot of the trails around here were single-track horse trails until the last couple of decades. They get a little tight for the larger ATVs and are impossible for UTVs.

UTVs are superior to ATVs when it comes to open areas like desert, prairies, and the Midwest. They are more comfortable, faster, safer, and can haul more. But in the "real" outdoors such as found in the PNW and Alaska, they are simply too large for a lot of places and relegated to use by the elderly or those who don't actually go deep into the woods.

Ridgerunner665 likes this.
  19. racer11

racer11

Been to those dunes (glamis) several times beautiful place with thousands of other duners. Takes me 24 hours to drive there.

20. plp

plp

Most UTV's are only slightly less painful. The company I used to work for had a deal with somebody, but instigated a rule where personal vehicles (there were no company trucks, other than the big service trucks driven by the mechanics) were not allowed on jobsites. However, they paid all mileage on personal vehicles. Never understood that, beyond it was a buddy deal.

I've used Gators, Mules, and some abomination made by Polaris. Give me a Mule any day, would haul all my equipment, had great maneuverability, and never once got it stuck, can't say the same for anything else other than my old 2WD Jeep Sport. Both of them would climb a telephone pole.