GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Firm member
29,693 Posts
CanAm X3 is the new standard to beat.

I used to own a RZR1000. I paid 17,500 OTA New because a previous sale fell through after the title was signed over so technically it was used but never left the lot.
I needed a dump bed, so I bought the Defender HD10. We have a Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha, Honda, CanAm multi-line and I took out all of them on their own test track and the final choice was remarkably easy. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Ranger, but I found the 1000 incredibly inadequate in every way. HH

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I want a Yamaha YXZR, but I would have to get a bigger truck to pull it. It's probably for the best since I'd only be able to ride it a couple times a year.
I need to get off my rear and rebuild my YZ250.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I chose Polaris for the main reason being the aftermarket. More accessories available than Can Am, and Yamaha wasn't a player at the time. I prefer the trails/technical riding we have here in TX and Arkansas.

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
I chose Polaris for the main reason being the aftermarket. More accessories available than Can Am, and Yamaha wasn't a player at the time. I prefer the trails/technical riding we have here in TX and Arkansas.
Unfortunately Polaris got lazy and complacent. They had some major issues with their turbo models and refused to address them. They screwed a lot of owners over. The new X3 from CanAm should get Polaris innovating again. Yahama unfortunately swung and missed with their first sport UTV. It simply wasn't geared for anything other then dunes. It didn't sell well and they were giving them away at the end of the first year. Now Honda just needs to step up and maybe competition will drive the prices down.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'd love to see Honda jump full in. I bought my Jagged-X slightly used and saved thousands. I wouldn't buy one new, knowing what abuse to look for.

·
THIS IS IN ALL CAPS
7,035 Posts
They're like the bastard child of a nice offroad rig and an ATV. Lots of people love them, but they're not for me. I don't like them I'm used to riding an ATV and being able to use body english. I like to do technical riding involving skill to get over obstacles, like loading or unloading the front end, precise throttle modulation, and having a feeling of connection with the machine to best land jumps. Also, UTVs are too heavy for self-rescue when you get stuck or hung up.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'm pretty sure there they're much more capable than any ATV out there. We've hit rock crawling trails and left the ATV's at the by pass.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
There are clubs full of old people around here that go on UTV rides around the mountains. When you're old and beat up and don't want to be on an ATV, these things work out well to get through the hills.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have found out that everyone has a different favorite UTV.
After owing 2 Honda Four wheelers, I did allot of research and bought an 2015 Full size Polaris Ranger and I love it. In my hunt lease there is 2 Honda Pioneers, 1 Yamaha Viking 1 Can Am and a Kawasaki mule. After owning my Ranger over 3 years and riding with all of the others in the woods I feel I made the right choice.
Good luck with whatever you select.

·
Pinky Out
58,509 Posts
I don't have one but would like to give my opinion......

Reactions: Diesel_Bomber

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
If your adventurous check out the Chinese market stuff. Several models at half the price of the Japanese stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...LyYKHYBLC5UQ_AUICigD&biw=1280&bih=676#imgrc=_

/
A buddy of mine went to Dallas Tx to pick up one of the chinese UTVs that he bought for 7K. That is the most hopeless excuse for a UTV I have ever seen. I'm constantly trying to fix problems on it all the time. The doors have fallen off,,,dump bed has failed,,,suspension parts that need welding together,,,engine never idles right,,,,,now the trans is not wanting to shift in to gear without hammering on the shift lever. I splashed thru a shallow puddle and the engine died from wet spark plug boots leaking and the intake sucking up water. The thing is pathetic !

·
Firm member
29,693 Posts
There are clubs full of old people around here that go on UTV rides around the mountains. When you're old and beat up and don't want to be on an ATV, these things work out well to get through the hills.
Do you feel better now? HH

21 - 40 of 67 Posts