close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody have a Cairn or Rat Terrier?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by lowtech, Feb 21, 2005.

1. lowtech

lowtech

I am looking for a small house dog for my family. From what I have read on the net. I am thinking of getting a Cairn or a Rat Terrier. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of these breeds.

Thanks

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

My neighbors have a Rat Terror...

I can sum ol' Shorty up with one word:

H - Y - P - E - R!!!!

He is a barker, a yipper, and an attempted ankle biter; but in spite of that is a pretty good dog. At least he is playful and does not guard things, nor does he bother their cats overmuch.

I like him just fine. But if I actually LIVED WITH HIM that assessment might not last too long!!!

A little obediance training would have done much to take the edge off of his nuttiness. But since he is by far the smartest member of that family, there's little chance of that happening...HE trains THEM, you see.

He is very much like a Jack Russell with longer legs and a slightly insane gaze.

It not may be entirely nice to say this; however, 'fun but freaky' is what honestly comes to mind with most of these dogs!!

And that mold is the very one the other few dozen Rat/Fox/JR Terrors I have met in my travels were made from, too.

Better than a MinPin or a Toy Poodle, though. A LOT better.

3. lowtech

lowtech

Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

4. jerryd

jerryd

I have a 7.5 yr old JR Terrier they are the most loveable dogs but command your attention! You will need alot of time , mine is like my shadow, sleeps with us goes for a ride with us, 14lbs of love and energy! Wouldnt trade her for the world! Brave little dogs, no fear hate to see what they would be like at 60lbs!;P

5. mfackler

mfackler

It's funny how dogs "run in families." My wife was raised with a full blooded Rat Terrier "Jeff." Her parents still have him. He's 17. We have what we call a Rat Terrier "Buddy." He's not full blooded. He came from the pound.

Both dogs are very smart. Jeff is a farm dog. They tell me in his day he would kill anything that came on the property 'coon ground hog made him no difference. Now that he is old he's not like that. He's a real smart loving dog.

Buddy is a house dog. I can see why someone would think he's hyper, he can go nuts when visitors come over. He's not like that most of the time. When it's just us at home he's a lap dog. Sleeping with wife on couch right now. He too is smart as a whip. We had him before we got our baby. Worried about that, but he has been no problem. All in all I would personally say they are great dogs.

Hope this helps

Mike

6. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

We're on our 2nd Cairn. Great dogs. Yes, they are yippy, but there's no one that comes in the house without her knowing about it. Just the right size for a lap dog, sheds hardly at all, and is a great companion.

[​IMG]

7. lowtech

lowtech

Thanks for the help. I don't trust anyone but gun bugs with important questions. I ended up with a 7 week old female tricolored Rat Terrier. I might post a pic. in time and do a short follow up.

Thanks

8. mfackler

mfackler

Looking forward to seeing the Pics. :)