Anybody had an MRA or MRV?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MrsKitty, Feb 5, 2010.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

How was it? How did they do they dye? In the arm as a normal IV or in another place determined by what they were looking at?

2. Flotsam

Flotsam Millennium Member

I haven't had one, personally, but have taken care of many patients who have. The dye is intravenous, and they adjust the timing of the images to capture the vessels of interest. If you are not claustrophobic, the biggest issues are potential reactions to the dye (flushing and/or nausea were the biggest complaints I have heard), and just dealing w/ an MRI - close quarters (even the "open" versions can make you feel a little claustrophobic) & lots of noise. To get a good study, you have to be able to remain as still as possible, as motion seriously degrades the images.

If you have anxiety or claustrophobia, you're doctor may prescribe a mild sedative to take prior to the scan.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am extremely claustrophobic and have that covered. The open ones are not too much better but this is in the tube.

Will it be just a regular IV in the arm like most are or since they are looking at the brain, will it be in the neck as it is closer?

If it is the same dye they've used for kidneys before, I tolerate it very well.

Thanks! :wavey:

4. Flotsam

Flotsam Millennium Member

It should be just a regular IV in the arm -they'll coordinate taking the images with the injection so that there is dye within the target blood vessels.

I've been in both types of machines - neither was pleasant, and I'm not claustrophobic at all. It was the warmth of the closed MRI & the noise (even through earplugs/headphones) with both.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Whew! I got to freaking yesterday and thinking is that going in my neck!?!

The first one I had was in the closed machine. I asked to be pulled out and she refused. I crawled out. Since then I had a couple open machines then when they did my kidneys, they said they can only be done in a closed machine. I was very uncomfortable after the first experience but I didn't have an issue. I've had a few more closed ones since then, too.

I'm extremely claustrophobic after being in a wreck where I couldn't immediately get the car doors open to escape afterwards.

6. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Jen, I told scream this, but VR and I are fairly sure he had one in the whole mess o'tests he had. He either had it or they talked about it a lot, but I'm pretty sure he had one, and it wasn't a big deal for him. He sleeps through all that stuff anyway. :hugs: