Anybody got a Sigma......

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by brigade101, Jan 31, 2010.

1. brigade101

brigade101

..... and how's working for ya ?

2. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Have or had three of the new 9ve models.
    One had some light primer strikes around round 200 and had to go back to Smith.
    They fixed it. Also lightened the trigger a bit.

So I would say it's 'close' to a Glock, but with a harder trigger by about double.
    A good dependable handgun, but I would prefer the Glock.
    So the question is $250 for a Sigma or $500 for a Glock.
    Is the better trigger worth it to you? A personal decision.

3. Apetrulis01

Apetrulis01

I have one and it works great. Never had a problem with it and if I did Smith and Wesson usually fixes it for free and pays for shipping both ways.

I have the 9mm and it is as accurate as my glock, just with a heavier trigger.

Adam

4. mixflip

mixflip

I have an SW40VE and I like it. I only paid $150 for it since the guy got caught up in the negative hype about them and felt he needed to "dump it" on someone before it fell apart or blew up in his hands.

They only thing I hate is the proprietary accessory rail. The trigger was adjusted lighter with the infamous "pig ear spring" removal which took a whopping 2 minutes to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its a great truck gun. I would probably shed a tear if my truck got broken into and my Glock got swiped....but not so much with the Sigma. And it has been 100% failure free so far.
    [​IMG]

5. viniglock

viniglock

It is part of my plastic frame gun collection. But I like it, do not have problem with trigger pull. I must have strong fingers!:wow::aodnsb:

6. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Best plastic gun bang for the buck

7. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

My dad has one and I've shot it on occasion. I don't mind it at all. I would say a great gun for the price.

8. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Hmmm.... interesting. How heavy is the trigger pull with the spring removed? Is that the only way to lighten up the trigger?

9. mixflip

mixflip

Its the only quick way that I know of to lighten the trigger. The 2 big issues is trigger pull and gritty trigger feel.

Over on the S&W forum, guys have sent them in for reworking by gunsmiths but to me its just a truck gun that doesnt merit that kind of expense.

I have heard some guys polish the rough machined metal interfacing parts to fix the gritty feel and buy softer aftermarket springs to lighten the pull but I have also heard messing with additional springs (other than the pig ear spring) can lead to FTF's?

I say remove the pig ear spring and shoot the snot out of it until the gritty feel smooths out which should only take a few hundred rounds. Plus its just funner that way! (yeah I used the word funner lol.)

10. lee2

lee2

yea, kinda close like a yugo and a BMW.
    :rofl:

11. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

No, like a sigma to a glock. A sigma is a glock clone. It is a virtual duplicate of the Glock 19.
    It feels very similar, it is the same size, it shoots the same cartridge, it is just as dependable. It has a dependable company behind it.
    It just has a heavier trigger.
    Your analogy of a Yugo and a BMW is ridiculous.

12. bikerdog

bikerdog

I got 1 in 9mm. It's a good gun for the price but its kinda hard to find accessory's for, and like others have said the trigger really ain't that great. but it does make a really good truck or atv gun.

13. bnkrtstk

bnkrtstk

I have a SW9VE and have done the above mentioned trigger fix. It actually feels better in my hand than my G23, but I have been carrying the G23 for so long I know it, and what I can do with it. I picked up the Sigma in trade with a similar idea of having a hi-cap truck/beater 9mm, or a simple pistol for my wife to use when I am away. She hates GLOCKS, but for some reason has no problem with the Sigma. She has her own revolver for CC but the 16+1, no manual safety aspect of he Sigma gives her piece of mind when I am not home. I keep it filled to the brim with 124gr Hydra Shoks. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. No FTE's, FTF's, light strikes, etc... I just need to pick up a TLR-1 or similard for it when it serves an HD role.

14. remlap

remlap Senior Member

I had one in 40s&w felt better in my hand than my glock 19 no problems kicking my *** from trading it off.Had one in 357sig really kicking my *** from trading that one off.

15. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

A SW40VE was my first pistol, though it's not technically a Sigma. I picked it up from a guy with 4 mags, factory case/paperwork/test-fired shell, range bag, ear/eye protection, 2 gun carpets, 5 snap caps, a multi-caliber cleaning kit, and 600 rounds of factory ammo for $400. He had only put 500 rounds through it and it was a good deal to me (seeing as how the ammo would have cost about $150. Oh, and by the way, the name "Sigma" refers to the original SW40 series, the VE is the newer model and things have supposedly been fixed with it.

I don't have a problem with the trigger pull, then again, I've probably dry fired (practiced aiming too) it at least 1000 times (using a snap cap). The trigger seems smooth to me, though it could be a bit lighter. I don't plan on selling this pistol as it's cheap, simple, is accurate and just works.

I just dry fired mine about 10 times, then removed this spring, reassembled and dry fired another 10 times. Honestly, I couldn't tell a bit of a difference in the trigger pull. If anything, it only reduces it by a pound, but that's it. And since I'm a believer of "if it's there, it's there for a reason" so I reinstalled it, and once again couldn't tell a difference in trigger pull.

I say, this is a great gun that can be picked up for little cash and it works. Remember, a new one sells for $350 in shops, so if it's been fired at all, don't pay more than $300 unless you get a crap ton of ammo/gear with it (like I did).

16. viniglock

viniglock

S&W Sigma in .357 SIG?

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

There are fantastic guns for the price!

I have two of them in 9mm and after taking the spring out the trigger isn't bad. When shooting it, I have a hard time telling Glock's trigger from the Sigmas and I am a Glock FAN.

Most of the people that trash talk them are either idiots who have no experience owning, shooting, or even holding one or are going off of the earlier versions which did have issues.

Buy a few!

-Emt1581

18. viniglock

viniglock

It sold well at Buds for $299(they do not have anymore at that price) shipped plus a $50 dollar rebate from S&W. A clone that pay royalties to Glock for $250 dollars, that is a good deal in my book.

19. Kozel

Kozel

I do not have one but I have three friends that were stupid enough to buy them. I shot some of them. What a POS if there ever was a POS! They are do shoot when you pull that HORRIBLE trigger but they are wildly inaccurate! I tried really hard to actually get one anywhere near “black” and could not! Got all of the rounds there with a Glock though.

20. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have a 9mm that I paid 325 for it new and a 40 compensated model. They have both been fine guns. Not fancy but no problems so far.