close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody Flyfish?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kona, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Kona

Kona

So today is my 21st birthday and my parents got me flyfishing stuff! I told them I wanted to learn how to flyfish and my dad has done it all his live out in the NW! However, I live in Illinois and have never seen anybody flyfish there? I thought flyfishing was mainly done in moving creeks/ streams/ rivers! I only know of lakes in Illinois that are dirty! Anyone know how to flyfish into lakes with dirty water or some good places to go in IL to flyfish? Like I said, I am new to flyfishing and am eager to learn so any info would be great! PS... I also got 20 rounds of Hornady 40SW ammo, and 100 rounds of Blazer 40SW! Had a great birthday today and will be throwin a few beers back with the old man and older brother tonight!

2. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

You'll be better off reading and learning about flyfishing prior to going out and just casting around. Get some video that shows the proper casting technique and try it in your yard or a park. (yes you'll get some odd looks) Flyfishing in lakes and ponds is common and can be very productive for panfish. I like to fish rivers from my kayak. The flyrod is a great way to add a bit of a kick to regular ole fishin...

[​IMG]

3. community

community Member

my wife and I love flyfishing. go to a sports store and buy a video. watch many times and go out and practice. In no time, you will be able to put your fly where you want it to go.

best wishes. and, we always catch and release.

4. jlprtr

jlprtr CLM

To begin with, Happy Birthday: and why are you here instead of out applying for your CC permit?

Although I haven't flyfished for who knows how long, it is truly a blast! Get a good book on it to learn how to tie the knots, flies, etc. not to mention vids demonstrating casting techniques. You would be floored seeing what can be done.

And don't believe what the purists tell you about it being only for trout fishing. A friend of mine back in the 1970s was a real snob about it until he had a bass on (I had been trying to convince him to try). The leader broke, so he went up one or two weights on leader and tipline, and caught the sucker. After that, he spent more time going after bass than trout.

Because the terminal line is very light, you must coax instead of muscle the fish in. When you get a good size fish on, the adrenalin rush is fantastic. Very addictive way to fish.

Damn, I think I just talked myself into dragging out my flyfishing gear that's been unused for over 20 years to do some refurbishing, then go fishing. :supergrin:

5. Kona

Kona

Thanks for the happy birthday! I cant apply for my CCW because I live in IL. No good there.....But Idaho I can (since thats where I am at now visitng family)! Thanks for the advice! I actually got a whole flyfishing set for my bday! Its a Cabelas Prestige edition for beginners. It came with a DVD on knots/ casting but it didnt mention anything about fishing in lakes! The guy on the DVD only discussed moving water techniques! Thanks again!!

6. hatidua

hatidua

Go spend the money at a good fly shop and get a one-hour casting lesson. That is far better than any video/book/online tutorial.

And, pray that you don't have an addictive personality. Fly fishing can be quite an addiction!

Enjoy!

7. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I believe you have an excellent reason to spend time with your father learning how to fly fish from him. Does he live in ID? Make plans to return in the Spring or Summer. If he lives in IL, make plans for the both of you to head west during warmer months for a week or two.

Happy birthday!

8. Adams454

Adams454

I've flyfished all my life. And I have never caught a trout. Never tried. I fish lakes and rivers for bluegills and redbreasts. With the occasional speck. A small #10 or #12 popper in differing colors depending on the water with 4-6 pound leader on a weight forward line and a 9' kensington rod and I'm in heaven. My boat is perfectly set up for it too. A 16' stick steer boat. With livewells under each seat. And a foot controlled trolling motor. When you hook a bull bluegill with shoulders, you'll be addicted.

9. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

Hit you local sporting goods stores that carry a decent inventory of fishing equipment and ask about fly fishing classes in your area. It isn’t very hard to learn but the instruction will allow you to get started having fun so much earlier than just showing up at a pond or lake and beating the water to a froth. Several others have mentioned starting with panfish on local ponds and lakes and I heartily endorse that also.

10. wrencher

wrencher

Like some other posters, I love to flyfish, and have never fished for trout. I fish lakes and rivers for sunfish, bass, crappie and northern pike, and I've been pretty successful fly fishing is salt water as well. It's a blast.
    One warning.
    Don't take up fly tying. I got tired of paying $2-$6 each for flies, so I bought a vise, bobbin, hooks and hair, feathers, thread, mylar, foam, rubber legs, eyeballs, popper bodies, lead, beads.....
    now I can tie my own for only $4-$8 each!:wow:

11. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I love fly fishing. It brings back the great memories of when my Dad taught me as a kid. I'm now in my 40s (old fart, I know) and enjoy fishing with my kids. I mainly fish for trout. It's a LOT of fun and very relaxing.

Funny fly fishing story - When I was a teenager, my Dad and I went fishing in the NC mountains. We always went WAY off the beaten path into the woods. Of course, Dad sent me downstream from him :supergrin: We were both doing well. I had a trout that I was trying to entice to do more than pop at the fly. It's just awesome...quiet except for the stream noises. Suddenly, I hear kur-plunk, kur-plunk...over & over followed my Dad shouting "Crap!" My Dad bumped a twig next to his leg while in his waders. Turns out the stick was a snake. My Dad is an old Army guy and doesn't get rattled easily. But he hates snakes. I was doing this =>:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. major

major Rejected member

OK, at the risk of offending the flyfisherman on this board, I have a question.
    What's the point? I mean, I just don't get it. Is this better than fishing with a regular rod and reel? If so, how?

Yeah, I'm serious........not trying to pick a fight, I honestly just don't know.

13. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

If you're after panfish on a pond or small lake; flyfishing is the cat's very own azz.

14. canis latrans

canis latrans

years ago, I was fishing a small stream for trout using live bait. I caught a couple small trout out of a nice pool when this old guy walking upstream asked if I minded if he "fished through". I told him to have at it. (I thought I'd caught most of the available fish...I'd been there awhile).

Using a fly rod, he proceeded to catch about 8 trout right in front of me in the next few minutes.

THAT was an eye-opener!

15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

It's a whole other world within the fishing world and there are different types of fly fishing - wet, dry, saltwater, trout, etc. Me, I love dry fly fishing for trout the most. It's exciting watching the fish pop the water going after your fly. The flies themselves are a bit of an art too. Most who start out will buy them. You need to know what bugs are in season, what the fish are hungry for, etc. But after some time, many get interested in tying their own flies. I've struggled in producing flies that don't look like some type of mutant. But I know people that can go to a stream with their kit, look around, make a fly on the spot, and get fish.

It's a lot of fun. Casting and presenting the fly is an acquired skill that takes lots of practice. The good fisherman can drop the exactly upstream where the want in the tightest of spaces, let it trickle to the right spot, and bang...get a hit.

Don't get wrong, I love fishing of all kinds. I've done winter steelhead fishing in the NW and loved it. Bass fishing in the glades in FL and loved it. Saltwater fishing - surf, pier, and boat...lots of fun. This is just another area to try that is very different from the others. And for me, I love trout fishing in the mountains because it gives me a chance to get away from people and relax.

Give it a try.

16. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

flyfishing is my religion, the river is my church. Nothing on earth is more pleasing to me than catching a native west slope cutthroat on a fly I tied, saying hello to it and setting it free to catch again someday. I have a serious fly fishing habit that I wish not to rid myself of. Enjoy it, it is a purist pursuit with existential rewards.

17. FPS

FPS

Flies are extremely light weight and can sit in the water motionless and drift naturally. Their feathers ungulate very realistically in the water, as opposed to the heavier terminal tackle used by spin-rods etc. It is not the be all, end all of fishing, but it is very effective once you get the hang of it.

Because the fly is so light in weight you can not cast it with a regular rod. The fly will not put enough bend in the rod to launch a good cast. Instead, in flyfishing, you are casting the line and the fly, via the leader, is cast with it. Thats is why the line is thick and heavey, to load the rod for casting. With this system it is very applicable to trout fishing becasue trout eat tiny (#20 size) insecst as they drift by and these tiny flies can only be cast with a fly rod.

Flyfishig is also popular in saltwater sight fishing. Sight fishing is fun. It is very much like hunting for fish. A opposed to throwing a zillion casts with a plug or trolling a pattern in the sea you search for fish and cast to them on sight. It is hard, but a huge rush. Fishing for Tarpon like this is the tops.

I am an avid flyfsher, but I am first and foremost a fisherman, and will fish with any tackle and rod. That being said I love flyfishing on a small Maine stream for trout and salmon. I also flyfish for Tarpon and Bonefish. Sometimes I flyfish for bass but more often I use topwater plugs for bass as I love to watch them hit on the surface.

Which ever way you do it, go fishing and enjoy yourself. :cool:

18. major

major Rejected member

Thanks guys. It's something I've thought always looked sort of neat but I didn't know anything about it. Maybe I'll give it a go next summer.

19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I highly recommend you seek out a good fly fishing club and make friends.

Casting isn't a mystery but like golfing its nothing more than muscle memory and its better to learn the basics and fundamentals first before you develop and have to unlearn bad habits. For now I highly recommend the Jean Wolff basic fly casting DVD available in segments on YouTube but I think Cabela's sells it for something like $10. It might even be downloadable on Itunes?

I've been a dedicated fly fisherman for over 16 years, tie my own flies and have fished a good number of western blue ribbon waters over the years. I'm making my first trip for Bonefish in March to the Bahamas! Its a great deal of fun...

20. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I love to fly fish but I have never fished for trout, like yourself, I have only used it to catch sunfish. It destroys some sunfish though with an ant pattern fly--its amazing!! The reason I started fly fishing, is because I have done every other type of fishing, and I wanted to be proficient with every style of fishing there is, so I took it up.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010