Anybody Fix Motherboards ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aircarver, Aug 6, 2015.

1. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I run a number of IBM 9229s, and over the years have had several motherboards fail. The easiest lazy solution was just to replace the m-board, but in most instances, the computers were still running, but failed to come up when re-booted.

Post-card doesn't come up with any codes.

Internet tutorials all seem to be aimed at identifying a m-board failure, at which point you replace it.

Anybody have m-board fixing experience for 'standard foibles' beyond 'replace leaky electrolytic capacitors' which I routinely do, and that isn't the problem with the m-boards I'm contemplating fixing.

2. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

No! because when someone is paying $75 an hour labor it is cheaper to replace then repair.. to often it is simply cheaper to replace the whole computer.

janice6 likes this.

3. nursetim

nursetim

You mean
    Ike tying their tubes? No

4. captainstormy

captainstormy

I've done it once or twice. Really only because I was young and wanted to do it.

Nowadays I realize my time is too valuable for that and just replace it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I've got electrical engineer friends who don't even bother.

Throw it away and replace it.

janice6 likes this.
  6. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Today, MB are made by robots. Human beings rarely touch them if only to put them in the package. Remember the scene in Star Wars of the droid factory? Very much like a MB assembly line without all the fire!

Replace the board.

7. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

Maybe you could get 'clock boy' to do it. I hear he is a genius with this stuff.

nursetim and janice6 like this.
  8. Fishfood

Fishfood

9. Decguns

Decguns

If there are obvious leaky caps, or a burned up transistor, we'll fix it. Otherwise, it usually gets tossed.

Laptop motherboards with video issues usually get baked in a proper oven made for the task. Sometimes fixes the connections, often does not. Most manufacturers started glueing the video chipsets to the board 5+ years ago to alleviate that issue.

10. janice6

janice6

I have hand repaired mini/micro integrated circuitry wave soldered Leadless Chips by hand under microscopes. I could explain why this isn't reasonable but I'm sorry I don't have the time. You might do it once and completely understand, if you didn't destroy the board or solder pads in the process.

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Almost impossible these days. The complexity of this stuff is amazing. Alien tech.

12. TK-421

TK-421

With as cheap as motherboards are these days, I just usually replace it when something goes bad. Especially when I take into consideration the fact that if it goes then it's usually a few years old, which means now I have an excuse to get something newer and better.

13. janice6

janice6

Besides the other reasons mentioned in these posts, there is the probability that after investing much time and labor money in fault finding and failure isolation, you may find that the plated through holes have failed at the connections to the interior conductive layers and have to throw it away after spending a bunch of money for nothing.

14. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

I haven't replaced parts on a Motherboard since I worked on Apple II's. But those were single layer boards and you just used your solder sucker and iron..pop the old part off...insert new one...solder and away you go.

Tri-state buffer's part number 74LS125 on the floppy disk controller were the most common components to fail.

Do not ask me how I remember that after 35 years...but I have to show off my really obscure absolutely useless knowledge occasionally...so there.