Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going there in a few days. My wife is on an assignment there and I will probably have 4-5 days to get around on my own and explore. Any good suggestions for a walkabout? Anything that should not be missed? We will be going to the night zoo, little India, I just read about Arab street (which I will go to), already done the Raffles thing a few years ago when I was there. We will also be going to Sentosa Island, Orchard Road, Jurong Bird Park. Anything I should not miss???
Thinking about going here too: http://www.s1942.org.sg/s1942/bukit_chandu/location.htm I already know about the spitting on the street,drug policy, canning, etc.:wedgie:
Looking for those places that I might miss if I didn't have somebody in the know to direct me.

Thanks

·
Señor Member
5,395 Posts
Canning?

I wasn't aware that Singapore had such a large canned goods industry.

:whistling:

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
They really like it when you vandalize cars.

·
Smartass Pilot
20,786 Posts
Sentosa Island (the resort island) has a lot to do (take the cable car there). The Merlion statue is there (the official symbol of Singapore), about a dozen floors tall. Also, Dolphin Lagoon is out there and they do shows with the (rare) pink dolphins. And Underwater World is on Sentosa too.

The Country Jamboree in Orchard Towers is not to be missed, but take your wife as the location is frequented by ladies of the evening. Genevieve's was a legend, but I hear it's closed. Chinatown, Arab Street are interesting excursions.

Sim Lim Tower and Sim Lim Square are awesome for electronics shopping. One is more consumer tech and the other is more industrial, but I can't remember which is which off the top of my head.

Oh, and the Jurong bird park and Singapore Zoo are a must!

[Edit: I see I doubled up on a few things, but hope it was helpful]

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I lived there for four years. You said you were going to be there in the very near future, so if you have a chance, they have quite a festival of lights surrounding Chinese New Year. That's worth seeing at various reservoirs.

Eat at a 'hawker center" - these are food stalls under overpasses. Singapore health ministry keeps a tight set of regulations on these places and getting sick is not a problem in the least.

Serangoon Road (all the Indian food you can possibly eat) - go at night, it's more visually appealing.

Orchard Road for shopping, much like parts of Hong Kong, but all concentrated in one area.

Macritchie Reservoir - nice place to take a peaceful walk on trails through the jungle next to the reservoir. Lots of monkeys, and bird life. Avoid late afternoon as there are typically a LOT of runners on the trails (running is very popular in Singapore). Have a taxi take you there via Thompson Road if coming from downtown.

Jurong Bird Park - worthwhile if you like birds.

Raffles Hotel. A lot of history, worth going for lunch or a drink mid-afternoon.

·
Simply Charming
4,883 Posts
Make sure you enjoy a Tiger beer or two for me. :)

·
Smartass Pilot
20,786 Posts
Oh! and Boat Quay (prononced "key") has good food by the water!

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Don't spit on the ground, don't act like a barbarian or else your tushy may find that it isn't invulnerable to application of big bamboo stick across it.

·
Smartass Pilot
20,786 Posts
And don't bring illegal drugs into the country, not even pot. They'll kill you. Seriously, it's a capital offense there.

·
Señor Member
5,395 Posts
Be tactful in discussing politics with the locals.

There are a lot of intelligent, wonderful people who are very aware of their government's policies. Some dislike them but are tactful about discussing them, many have what can only be Stockholm syndrome (yes, it's kind of scary to see someone who is exhibiting this, but be polite). Then you have all the "average" folks who are apathetic or in favor of the status quo. Don't offend unnecessarily. And, in fact, just don't offend. (I'm not suggesting you would, just advising caution there.)

·
Varmit Control
8,548 Posts
And don't bring illegal drugs into the country, not even pot. They'll kill you. Seriously, it's a capital offense there.
If that kind of no nonsense attitude existed here in the USA, then there would not be a drug epidemic.

Libertarians here may be upset about my post, but the country really went to pot in the 1960s. Damn, nasty hippies.

·
15,498 Posts
I go into Changi Airport every now and then. I like Singapore - it's a clean, safe destination and possibly the world's largest outdoor mall.

·
Señor Member
5,395 Posts
If that kind of no nonsense attitude existed here in the USA, then there would not be a drug epidemic.

Libertarians here may be upset about my post, but the country really went to pot in the 1960s. Damn, nasty hippies.
There are more than enough people in Singapore risking their neck to take their drugs to prove you wrong.

·
Marine 0369
1,798 Posts
Hardly any memories exist at all.:tequila:
Same here! Hard Rock Cafe and happy hour. Got busted by Shore Patrol and confined to the ship for the rest of the port call.:crying:

·
15,498 Posts
The Hard Rock Cafe is pretty good until the Marines on shore leave get there. If you can wait it out, the Shore Patrol will round them up and take them back to the boat.

;)

·
Marine 0369
1,798 Posts
The Hard Rock Cafe is pretty good until the Marines on shore leave get there. If you can wait it out, the Shore Patrol will round them up and take them back to the boat.

;)
:rofl::rofl::tongueout:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Seriously you MUST eat black pepper crab. It is, to this day, the BEST crab I have ever eaten.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts