Anybody ever had shingles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

I had it, it seriously damaged my left cornea. It took some surgeries and a special contact lens to get my flight medical. Go to the doctor and do whatever it takes to manage it.

2. chuckman

chuckman

Been there, done that. I worked in an ICU at the time so one of the surgeons saw it and diagnosed it right away (I said, "so, whatta ya think of this rash?"). Acyclovir and steroids and a week off.

3. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I had shingles twice in the same place in the center of my back. At first, I thought I had strained my back until the blisters started to show. I knew exactly what it was and went straight to the doc for some Valtrex and Prednisone. The sooner you start treatment the less severe the outbreak and shorter lived.

Both times lasted about 6-8 weeks of sheer misery.

4. Tmygun

Tmygun

I didn't know you could get shingles more than once. Man, that stinks:wow:.

Tmygun

5. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

If you have had chicken pox get the shot. Cheaper and easier than shingles.

6. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

oh man, DW. i feel for you. deeply. i got 'em while i was in LPN school, during the most stressful time of my life. literally felt like someone dripping hot bacon grease on my side, AND a deep muscle soreness underneath, like the worst sore muscle you've ever had (picture an out of shape 45-year old the day after playing football. i prayed to die. i'm not a puss, either. lortab took the edge off, and copious amounts of alcohol helped me sleep. worse than any broken bone, laceration, hangover, case of the squirts, or other injury i have ever had.

7. ChucklesG21

ChucklesG21 CCW'ing a 21

I feel your pain man, I had them about a year ago. They started high up on my right thigh and worked their way down towards my knee. When I first saw them I thought it was some sort of crazy STD that had somehow taken up residence on my thigh somehow. Don't get me wrong I am always safe in my exploits but I actually went into the doc's office. They took me back into a room and he asked why I was there. I dropped trou and said "I'm here cuz I want you to tell me this is Shingles." He replied "why on earth would you want me to tell you it's shingles, they're really painful." My response "if it's shingles then it ain't Herpes!" If I remember correctly he told me they just have to run their course. Get well soon!

8. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

I had them when I was about 23. It was in the summer too and sweating and heat made it feel worse. I felt like my back and ribs were on fire at times. The sooner you get treatment the better, but it may get worse before it starts getting better.

I have heard of people having it for very long periods of time. Mine lasted about a 1 1/2 months or so. I hope I never have to go through that again, good luck.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  9. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

It's very very painful. :shocked:
    Regards
    DW

10. geronimo509

geronimo509

feel better soon. I hope I never get them. How does someone get them?

11. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

Thanks for asking .. she was diagnosed and treated back in 1995 and 1996, and today she's still cancer free. I think M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston really took a sledge hammer to her cancer. It was a heck of a battle, I'm not sure I could have endured it, but she did for nearly a year and a half being in and out of that place, but so far she's surprised everyone. They figured she had an 85% chance of the cancer returning within the first 5 years after treatment, but it didn't. She's lucky, when they removed her breast they also removed the lymph nodes from under her arm and 17 of 29 had cancer in them, so it was well advanced.

We saw a lot of sad things in the 14 to 18 months we were there. Men drive up and drop their wives off at the front door and say they're going to park the car and drive off into the sunset not to be seen again. People from all over the world speaking languages you've never heard before. Then there were the kids, omg the kids, so young, so innocent, and so darned many with cancer. :-(

12. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

This best the pain can be described is like having a sharp clawed monkey clinging to your back and sides. Every now and then he really digs in.