close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody ever buy glasses from Zenni Optical?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

2. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

For whatever that is worth. He talks about them on his radio show. I guess you send your eye glass prescription to Zenni in China, and they ship to your house. Clark might have more about them on his website. Clark is known for being cheap!

http://www.clarkhoward.com/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

3. unit 900

unit 900

I've ordered from them several times and have been pleased with the results. You can actually call and talk to someone in Customer Service if you choose. All told, a positive experience (pretty much the gist of prior threads).

4. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

I bought my glasses at Zenni just a couple weeks ago. Every bit as good as my old ones from LensCrafters, for 1/7th of the price.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Which model frames are those, if you don't mind me asking.

6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

It's frame #419011, the cheapest one (and, amazingly, the one I liked the best).

7. RenoF250

RenoF250

My wife just got some from Coastal.com for free. Ended up being ~$35 for high index glass and a coating but she is very happy with them.

8. Shinytop

Shinytop

I bought some from Zenni about a year ago. They were okay but took a while to arrive, they come from China. I called to see where they were and they were clearing customs.

9. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

My glasses took 9 days for manufacturing (strong prescription) and 5 days for shipping.

10. berto62

berto62

They all come from China.The last pair I got from them was 26 dollars For that price I can wait few weeks.

11. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

They are decent for a throw away pair of glasses.
    They are good enough that everyone that can't afford 500 dollars for a pair of glasses, yet still needs something to see with can afford them.

They are not however a replacement for a good pair of quality glasses.
    Especially if you wear them all day every day. My last pair of quality glasses ran 450 bucks. That includes the Italian made Safilo frames and the Canadian Crizal lenses.

While the quality of the Zinni glasses are decent. They are no where close to the good stuff. I am however happy with my 20 buck sunglasses, and the couple spare glasses I got.

12. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid Grape flavored!

Buy a set of the higher priced Zenni glasses and compare them to the higher priced stuff.

If you knew how much the mark-up is on eyeglasses, you would see that high price does not directly translate into high quality. The mark-up on "designer" stuff is 500 to 1000% from wholesale to retail.

There are three manufacturers of automated precision optical equipment in the world, so no matter the nationality of the person running the machine, the fabrication quality will be essentially the same.

Materials used are the only real variable, and again, buy a "high end" set of Zenni glasses and compare them to the $500+ pair you get locally (often waiting just as long for delivery since the big chains have moved production into regional plants, rather than each individual store over the past 10 years.)

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

I have been wearing glasses "all day every day" since the age of 6, so I know what problems to look for. Haven't found any disadvantages in my $99 Zenni glasses compared to $700 Lenscrafters, $400 VisionMax, or $xxx glasses from some boutique in New York.

14. nursetim

nursetim

Did anybody else get a computer virus when ordering? Other wise the price is great and quality, well you get more than you pay for.

15. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Take a look at EyeBuyDirect.com I have bought 4 pair from them and am happy with the results.

Here is a 15% discount code to save some money. IFK4A62YDT

16. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

I've bought several pairs of glasses from Zenni. Just as good as anywhere else, at about a tenth the price (fifteen or twenty bucks for a pair of prescription glasses is pretty darn good).

Short wait time (they ship from California, and I get them in less than two weeks).

The only problem I've had are some sports goggles that weren't right. They just don't seem to be able to get those correct, but for all other glasses A-OK. I'm wearing some stylish ones right now (splurged, and spent about 27 bucks on these).

Really, most optical joints rip you off big time. You're just buying some plastic, and there is NO REASON to pay two or three hundred bucks or more for it. TOTAL RIP OFF JOINTS. Sure, you can get your glasses in an hour, but is it worth hundreds of bucks to you?

Same quality. Same product. Maybe not the designer name, but they have clones that are very similar.

17. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

The sad part is, if your prescription is any more complicated than reading glasses from a dollar store, you are not going get your glasses made in an hour. 1-2 days if you are lucky, with very limited selections of frames and lenses.

18. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

From Zenni website? No. What kind of virus did you get?

19. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

I love Zenni and have been ordering from them for over 8 years now with no problems.

20. nursetim

nursetim

COD, dude, I barely know how to power up the dang contraption, let alone know the name of the virus. You'd get a more intelligent answer from your pet than from me.

All I know is before ordering from Zenni, computer worked fine, no glitches, after, many glitches. Timing? Maybe.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012