Anybody else go back to college after.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by acpd442, Mar 17, 2010.

1. acpd442

acpd442

Ok, so I lost my job last year and decided to go back to college and finish my degree in Crim Justice/Law Enforcement. It's been about 22 years since i went to college. Is it me or is college more interesting after being in the workforce for so long? I see quite a few younger students who have no initiative except when it comes to partying although there are quite a few who take their studies seriously. I have also noticed there are a lot more older adults back in school. I don't know, but I kinda like being in school. I enjoy all my classes and don't seem to have to work to hard to keep a 3.0 GPA which will go up as soon as I get my mid terms back. I am taking 5 classes this semester and a full course load this summer. It seems that being a little older and dare I say a little wiser has helped me tremendously while in school. Anybody else doing this?:wavey:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. chuckman

chuckman

When I graduated high school I went to college. My GPA was OK, not great, and I really payed more attention to partying and sports than academics. Then, a few years ago, I went back to college for another degree. I payed attention, read and studied, and did very well. I like college and would go back in a heart beat if I could afford it (but I didn't care for the papers and tests. Maybe I should audit some courses).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010

3. devildog2067

devildog2067

I went back after almost 4 years selling cars, but I wasn't as old as you are... it didn't take me long to flunk out the first time :)

I was a <2.0 student the first time and I graduated with a 4.0 from Northeastern Illinois University--not the most prestigious school in the world, but I had a great experience there.

4. major

major Rejected member

went back and got a M.A. after I had been out for 25 years.....yeah, it was a lot different.

5. JJS

JJS RIP Col.Moroney

I retired.Went back and still go.They all call me Pops,hated (the nickname) it at first but its kinda grown on me now.

6. another okie

another okie

i worked for three years before going to law school and that was a great benefit to me. I took my studies much more seriously than the guys straight from undergrad school.

Now i am a college teacher and i see the same pattern. The veterans, the returning moms smoke the kids in grades.

7. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Already done that and the 4.0 gpa was so much easier this time around!

8. Bado

Bado

Maturity does wonders for a GPA increase. As well as actually doing the reading and listening in class. I screwed it up right after HS. It seemed so easy after the Army.

9. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

I completed my bachelors degree 23 years after high school graduation

10. k9medic

k9medic

I started back after 15 years, working on a second degree. It has been much easier this time around to say the least. I'm going to graduate with honors, and I don't feel like I have worked that hard to maintain a good GPA. I'm taking 12 credits at UF per semester, while working full time, and raising kids. My wife is also a full time student.

Some old fashioned "school of hard knocks" education will do wonders when it's time to get the academics.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  11. HarlDane

HarlDane

+1 I went back to school last year at the age of 29 and my GPA this time around is a 3.8. My GPA from taking GE classes at a Community College 10 years ago was 2.6.

12. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

I got my BS & MS long after high school. Did both while working full time. The benefit was that tuition cost me $0.00 since the companies I worked for paid for it. I did have to pay for my books.

Now I'm 52 (almost 53) and today I just registered for my first graduate level Business course (for an MBA). A bit scary since I now have two daughters (6 & a 10 y/o). I'll probably get my MBA the same time my oldest graduates from 8th grade.